Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   IT   RU   FR   RO   PT   HU   LA   NL   SK   HR   ES   BG   NO   FI   CS   TR   DA   PL   EL   SR   EO   |   SK   HU   FR   PL   NL   SQ   RU   NO   ES   SV   IT   DA   PT   CS   HR   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  ä ö ü ß
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-EnglischSeite 16757 von 16832   <<  >>
Types of entries to display:     Linguistic Help Needed   Chat and Other Topics   Dictionary and Contribute!  

English-German Translation Forum

Hier kannst du Fragen zu Übersetzungen stellen (auf Deutsch oder Englisch) und anderen Benutzern weiterhelfen. Wichtig: Bitte gib den Kontext deiner Frage an!
Seite
|
#
| Suche | Richtlinien | Neue Frage stellen
Frage:
 their household rang with alleluias » antworten
von Deseret (SI), Last modified: 2017-06-18, 18:04  Spam?  
At this time, too, being eleven and  a half years old,  I fell in  love with   a mousy little girl with blonde locks called Henriette. It  was  a rather desultory affair. She went home and told her parents that the  son of the Englishman was  in  love with her,  and her mother clapped her hands and their household rang with alleluias on that day.

Did her family approve of their relationship or was it opposed to it?
Antwort: 
They were pleased.  #872476
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2017-06-18, 18:05  Spam?  
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/hallelujah - An utterance of the word ‘hallelujah’ as an expression of worship or rejoicing
Chat:     
Thank you  #872488
von Deseret (SI), 2017-06-18, 21:42  Spam?  
Frage:
Running » antworten
von glhansen (UN), 2017-06-18, 13:25  Spam?  
I am looking for vocabulary related to running events, like a 5K. The bib that the runner pins to his shirt, with the number on the front and the chip on the back, which is detected by the sensor pads that he runs over at the starting line and finishing line. Gun time, which is the time from the command to start running until the runner crosses the finish line. Chip time, which is the time from running over the starting line to the finish line (if there are a lot of people it can take more than a minute to reach the starting line, so gun time can be more than a minute longer than chip time, but gun time is often recorded as the official time).

How do I say all of that?
Antwort: 
Please see the guidelines! [try on your own first]  #872466
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), 2017-06-18, 15:10  Spam?  
use dictionary
Chat:     
von glhansen (UN), 2017-06-18, 15:56  Spam?  
Thank you for the suggestion. Using the dictionary actually was the first thing I tried. Chip time and gun time, are not in it. Chipzeit is the name of a company, but I don't know if it's a proper term for a runner's performance. There are plenty of entries for bib, but, looking at Google Images, I'm not sure that any of them correspond to a runner's bib. Latz and Leibchen don't seem right, those look like tank tops and jerseys, and Brustfleck gives me puppies or medievalists, depending on which other search terms I include. I guessed on Sensormatte and tried it in Google, and that seems right.

I guess "gun time", "chip time", and "runner's bib" are the ones I really need.
Antwort: 
I think the 'bib' that you pin to your shirt is just called a Startnummer.  #872474
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2017-06-18, 18:00  Spam?  
http://grazmarathon.at/laeuferinformation/startnummernausgabe/

http://grazmarathon.kleinezeitung.at/eventinfos/programm/

For the other terms, if there are no runners here who can help, perhaps looking at sites for runs/marathons in German speaking cities might help.
Antwort: 
von glhansen (UN), 2017-06-18, 23:47  Spam?  
Llama -- yes, that's it! The runner's bib is die Startnummer. And, for instance,
"Der Chip ist in der Startnummer integriert – befestigen Sie die Startnummer an der Vorderseite Ihres T-Shirts mit den 4 mitglieferten Sicherheitsnadeln."
http://www.raiffeisenbusinesslauf.at/faqs/
That is exactly the gear I was asking about, complete with four safety pins! Thank you!
(dict.cc might be updated on that--the entries for Startnummer suggest it is the information on the bib, but it does also seem to refer to the material product of bib with chip, too.)

Someone in another forum helped me with the other terms: gun time is Bruttozeit, chip time is Nettozeit. Makes sense.
http://forum.runnersworld.de/forum/foren-archiv/52995-bedeutet-brut...
Antwort: 
Agree with Llllllllama  dict.cc: Startnummer  Please enter vocab below into dict.cc  #872500
von Proteus-, 2017-06-18, 23:49  Spam?  194.118.237...
chip time > Nettozeit
Brutto- und Nettozeiten    http://statistik.d-u-v.org/faq.php#Guntime

Wenn in einer Ergebnisliste Bruttozeit (Gun time) und Nettozeit (Chip time) erscheinen, dann nehmen wir beide Zeiten in die Datenbank auf.
gun time > Bruttozeit       https://www.laufforum.de/threads/13530-loch-ness-marathon-schottlan...

https://support.chronotrack.com/hc/en-us/articles/204354494-What-is...-
Frage:
hit it  » antworten
von Barloup (DE), 2017-06-18, 10:46  Spam?  
Ein Sportler sagt: "When I was doing it, it was something where you had this magazine, you almost hit it, because it was this cultish type of sport, and now you're going into 2016, and it's still a cultish sport after 30, 40 years, it's still the same." - Als ich noch dabei war, gab es dieses Magazin, und du warst sofort fasziniert, weil es ein so kultiger Sport war, und jetzt,2016, 30, 40 Jahre danach, ist es immer noch so."
Aus diesem "you almost hit it" werde ich nicht schlau, ehrlich gesagt....
Antwort: 
von anonymous, 2017-06-18, 14:52  Spam?  100.4.125....
If it's an interview, perhaps "you almost hit it" is a comment on something the interviewer said? Ja, Sie haben beinahe den Nagel auf den Kopf getroffen or sth. like that.
Antwort: 
etwa: es war fast sofort ein tolles Ding / ein Riesending  #872464
von anon., 2017-06-18, 14:59  Spam?  77.10.64...
(aber etwas geraten)
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2017-06-18, 15:17  Spam?  
There's not enough context for "you almost hit it" to be clear to me, but the suggestion by anonymous at 14:52 sounds plausible.
Chat:     
anonymous, Windfall  #872507
von Barloup (DE), 2017-06-19, 06:36  Spam?  
Es ist indirekt ein Interview, es sind hintereinander geschnittene Antworten auf die Frage, welche Zukunft dieser Sport (Bodybuilding) hat und ob er je massenkompatibel wird. Und dieser (ehemalige) Bodybuilder antwortet wie oben zitiert. Ich denke, dieses "you almost hit it" bezieht sich auf dias Magazin, das im ersten Teil des Satzes erwähnt wird. Insofern würde der Vorschlag von anon besser passen: Als ich noch dabei war, gab es dieses Magazin, und das schlug sofort ein,..."
Frage:
rag fair http://contribute.dict.cc/?action=edit-verified&id=310004&p... » antworten
von aphoenix (US), 2017-06-18, 05:20  Spam?  
Although Merriam-Webster does not label this either British or Archaic, I have never heard this term used, possibly because, to my knowledge, no street markets in the US sell exclusively or even primarily second hand clothing.  Oxford dictionary says  
"Rag Fair
NOUN
historical
Originally: a market for the sale of old clothes, held at Houndsditch in London; the name of the district occupied by this market (now historical). In later use (without capital initials): any such market."
Unless other North Americans have hear of rag fairs on our continent, I suggest labelling the entry [Br.]..
Antwort: 
von Jim46 (US), 2017-06-18, 05:41  Spam?  
I had never heard it before.
Antwort: 
rag trade  #872458
von Z, 2017-06-18, 12:46  Spam?  185.17.205....
'Rag fair' I have not heard.    'Rag trade' is in use, not just for old clothes, but the making and selling of new ones = the garment industry.

Decades ago jumble sales took place in church halls in London which sold among other things old clothes.  Some of that sale at retail level then usurped by charity shops.   Donated old clothes are also traded in bulk.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2017-06-18, 15:23  Spam?  
I think you should probably label it [rare] or [esp. archaic] or [dated] as well (or at any rate something to show that this is not a common term in British English). I've never heard of a rag fair either and it only gets 142 hits on Google Google: "rage fair"
It appears primarily to be the name of that district (the Rag Fair), and later usage as a general term seems to be fairly rare and not part of everyday British English.
Antwort: 
Vorschlag  #872473
von Wenz (DE), 2017-06-18, 16:49  Spam?  
http://contribute.dict.cc/?action=edit-verified&id=310004&p...

Ich verstehe überhaupt nicht, was an Trödelmarkt "fig." sein soll.
Antwort: 
von Z, 2017-06-18, 23:10  Spam?  185.17.205....
Flea market - indoor and outdoor, commercial in nature.

Jumble sale - indoor eg in UK church halls.  Piles of old clothes on long tables to rummage through, plus small used household items like old plates, mugs, clocks etc.   Previously [in the days I was a girl guide and lived opposite a church] the items were donated then sold to raise funds for charitable causes.
Antwort: 
von atemp (US), 2017-06-19, 00:46  Spam?  
Closest I know of is rag picker i.e. one who scavenges scraps of fabric found in rubbish dumps. But not lately... the modern equivalent is homeless people who scavenge aluminum cans for the recycling industry.
Antwort: 
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), 2017-06-19, 09:02  Spam?  
"  ....  In later use (without capital initials): any such market. Also in figurative contexts. "  !!!

it's small letters ..... !?!

fig.  ?  Ja, sicherlich ..... "Mensch, das ist ja hier ein Trödelmarkt!"
Frage:
Ungerechtfertigtes Outvote. Wikipedia-Regel » antworten
von BHM (DE), Last modified: 2017-06-18, 00:36  Spam?  
http://contribute.dict.cc/?action=edit&id=1364002
Wikipedia(DE): S%C3%BCdandenhirsch

Die Wikipedia enthält oft biologische Namenslisten. Getrennt werden diese durch Kommata bzw. 'und'.

Ein ODER bzw. OR bedeutet, dass das darauf folgende Wort durch ein vorangehendes zu ergänzen ist. Beispiel: auch Chilenischer Huemul oder Guemal bzw. also known as the Chilean guemal or huemul.

Bei gleichwertigen Namen wird nie ODER / OR benutzt.
Antwort: 
Wenn Huemul =  Guemal ... dann finde ich  #872451
von Wenz (DE), Last modified: 2017-06-18, 06:37  Spam?  
Huemul = Hippocamelus bisulcus zum Beispiel hier:
http://www.zoodirektoren.de/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&a...
https://www.greenpeace.de/themen/waelder/bergwaelder-chiles

Aber Wikipedia ist nicht die dict-Bibel.
-----------
PS: Aber wenn man Wikip. glaubt ... Unlike all other South American deer, except for the closely related huemul
Wikipedia(EN): Taruca
dann ist unter huemul der Südandenhirsch (Chilenischer, Patagonischer ...) gemeint.
Das entspricht dann auch meinen Links oben.
Antwort: 
BHM  #872452
von Catesse (AU), 2017-06-18, 08:47  Spam?  
I'm afraid that you are paying the price for breaching this GL: 2. One translation per entry
Each translation of a word is a separate entry within dict.cc. This is necessary to avoid duplicate entries.
Don't change a correct translation only because you know a better one. Post the better one as a new entry instead.
Antwort: 
Catesse, Wenz: Ihr irrt.  #872454
von BHM (DE), 2017-06-18, 10:03  Spam?  
4;imhotep wollte die in der englischen Wikipedia wiedergegebenen Namen eintragen. Es geht hier also nicht um die Frage, ob die Wikipedia unfehlbar oder die Bibel ist, sondern um die Quelle, die zitiert werden sollte. Und der entspricht eben "Chilean huemul". Also handelt es sich bei meiner Änderung auch nicht um eine Änderung eines richtigen Eintrags, sondern um die Änderdung eines versehentlich zu kurz geratenen.
Antwort: 
von Paul (AT), 2017-06-18, 13:38  Spam?  
Wäre die Übersetzung unabhängig von der Quellenangabe auch ohne das "Chilean" korrekt?
Wenn ja, dann wäre sie im Streitfall zu bestätigen, auch wenn ich die Intention, den Eintrag an die Quellenangabe anzupassen, nachvollziehen kann.
Antwort: 
BHM ... im Klammer (Chilean) huemul   #872470
von Wenz (DE), Last modified: 2017-06-18, 15:55  Spam?  
Das hat dann den Vorteil, daß ein Suchender auch huemul ganz genau angezeigt kriegt und dann sagt: Aha, der also ist das!
Ich nehme an, dass der Eintrag von (Klammer)+1 Wort direkt innerhalb der 2-Wort-Einträge gereiht wird.
Antwort: 
Paul: Ich denke, ohne Quellenangabe, d.h. Überprüfungsmöglichkeit, sollten wir keine Einträge verifizieren.  #872478
von BHM (DE), 2017-06-18, 19:24  Spam?  
Dein Einwand bedeutet, man müsste eine ganz neue Recherche starten. Hier war es aber so, dass der Eintrag auf einer Fehldeutung von Wikipedia beruhte. Die zu korrigieren ist m. E. genauso wie eine fehlerhafte Schreibung zu korrigieren.

Wir bekommen immer wieder Einträge ohne jeglichen Quellennachweis. Die sollten gelöscht und nicht aufwändig nachrecherchiert werden.
Antwort: 
Na ja, halt! Dann hätte man meinen Eintrag von heut Früh löschen müssen  #872480
von Wenz (DE), 2017-06-18, 19:41  Spam?  
Dann hätte man meinen Eintrag von heut in der Früh löschen müssen, da ich auch nicht explizit den engl. Wortlaut nachgewiesen habe.
http://contribute.dict.cc/?action=edit&id=1364069

4;BHM: Bis jetzt war es so, daß ein Eintrag verifiziert werden konnte, wenn er richtig ist. Nur das hat gezählt - ich hoffe, das bleibt auch so.
Antwort: 
Wenz: Ich bin strikt dagegen.  #872487
von BHM (DE), 2017-06-18, 21:16  Spam?  
Mal von Deinem Eintrag abgesehen, wir kriegen immer wieder Einträge, die belegt werden mit "Ich habe mal gelesen / gehört" oder irgendeinem Vokabelbuch-Eintrag, der nicht zu verifizieren ist, oder gar einfach ohne Beleg. Man kommt sich, salopp gesagt, verarscht vor, wenn man dann versuchen muss herauszufinden, ob das eingetragene Wortpaar richtig ist.

Deshalb schlage ich vor, in den GL zu verankern, dass Einträge überprüfbar belegt sein müssen. Bisher sagen die GL zu den Belegerfordernissen, soweit ich sehe, gar nichts. Dabei sollten inhaltlich einander entsprechende Zitate als Beleg gelten, denn sie erlauben den Eintrag von Vokabular, das bisher noch nirgendwo vorhanden ist.
Chat:     
BHM  #872506
von Catesse (AU), 2017-06-19, 04:50  Spam?  
You complained about an unjustified outvote, but it does not seem to have occurred to you that you inflicted a thoroughly unjustified outvote on Nemanja. http://contribute.dict.cc/?action=show-history&id=1363997 The source, as you pointed out, gives both forms separated by oder/or. Therefore the entry for which he voted was correct, and in defiance of the GL you changed it. Not good enough. You can abuse me all you like for this comment, but your action was wrong. You may not like some of the GL; there are ones that I don't like. If one conflicts with your opinion, leave that entry alone, or discuss it on Forum before doing anything; but do not flout them to the detriment of others..
Antwort: 
von Paul (AT), 2017-06-19, 11:21  Spam?  
Unjustified outvote removed.
Antwort: 
Paul  #872531
von Catesse (AU), 2017-06-19, 13:53  Spam?  
Thank you.
Frage:
"Schranke" = barrier und nicht gate (wie hier vorgeschlagen)?! » antworten
von Schynderhannes (DE), 2017-06-17, 23:35  Spam?  
Hallo zusammen,

ich hatte ein mal gelernt, dass die Schranke, die z.B. eine Straße absperrt, ins Englische mit "gate" übersetzt wird. Das wird hier auch als oberster Vorschlag angezeigt.

Nach einer Diskussion mit einem englischen Muttersprachler hat der mich aber davon überzeugt, dass es barrier aber nicht gate sein kann. Unterm Stichwort gate findet sich auf Wikipedia auch nichts, was sich per Definition nach Schranke anhört oder, was wie eine Schranke aussieht: Wikipedia(EN): Gate

Was meint ihr dazu?
Antwort: 
von Dwight (US), 2017-06-18, 00:02  Spam?  
gate - kann geöffnet werden
barrier - kann nicht geöffnet werden
Antwort: 
von Z, 2017-06-18, 00:32  Spam?  185.17.205...
Temporary hindrance to close off a street is indeed a barrier.   As is for example the cross bar that hinders the free entry into and exit from a car park.   In the urban setting a gate is a more permanent fixture, mostly to enter the grounds of a building.  

On the paths in the UK countryside, they are often gates, wooden or metal.   Other barriers on a footpath are not called barriers.  Some are stiles.

Google: carpark barrier

Google: street closure barrier

https://www.cambridgeramblingclub.com/2015/09/25/crc-funds-new-kiss...
Antwort: 
UK/US difference?  #872448
von Dwight (US), 2017-06-18, 01:58  Spam?  
Google: car park gate

In the US, the cross bar that rises and lowers to control access to or egress from a parking garage or car park (AE: "parking lot") is usually called a "gate arm". Similarly at railroad-highway grade crossings: https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009r1r2/part8/part8c.htm#section8C04

In US, a traffic "barrier" is usually understood to be something closing a section or portion of street or highway that a driver, cyclist, or pedestrian does not have the ability to open or remove.
Antwort: 
von anonymous, 2017-06-18, 13:18  Spam?  100.4.125....
In a number of U.S. states, when interstate highway lanes need to reversed for a mass evacuation, the entrance ramps to the reversed lanes are closed with so-called gates. The image at the second link is definitely a Schranke. At least for U.S. English, the Muttersprachler mentioned in the original post is wrong.
Google: entrance ramp gate "lane reversal"
http://www.trbimg.com/img-53cadff5/turbine/dp-nws-street-smart-2014...
Antwort: 
von anonymous, 2017-06-18, 15:03  Spam?  100.4.125....
...to BE reversed...
Antwort: 
von Dwight (US), Last modified: 2017-06-18, 19:55  Spam?  
Yes, the Interstate ramp gates that can be closed in evacuations are called that because they can be closed and opened with a hand crank (by state DOT workers). Again, if there is some electronic or mechanical system that can be used to open or close a road closure feature, it's a "gate." Otherwise, it's a "barrier" or "barricade".

http://savannahnow.com/stories/070502/LOChighwaygates.shtml#.WUa7FI...
Antwort: 
von anonymous, 2017-06-19, 00:43  Spam?  100.4.125....
"Barrier" implies strong resistance to impact or steady pressure. A gate in the highway context is more or less advisory. It's easily knocked down or circumvented.
Frage:
"Textbeilage muss behandelt werden" » antworten
von Nate1232333, 2017-06-17, 20:55  Spam?  91.141.0...
what does this mean?
Antwort: 
von timfefe (AU/AT), 2017-06-17, 21:33  Spam?  
Textbeilage is text that accompanies sth else. It could be explanatory notes or some leaflet/booklet/brochure that provides details for (or to) sth else.

As to “behandelt werden”, please see:
dict.cc: behandelt werden

I think the exact meaning of your sentence is context dependent.

[Not a native German speaker}
Antwort: 
Thanks a lot!  #872440
von Nate1232333, 2017-06-17, 21:43  Spam?  91.141.0...
Antwort: 
For instance, text supplement must be dealt with (rather than ignoring it)  #872441
von Proteus-, 2017-06-17, 23:08  Spam?  178.191.24....
Frage:
Textbeilage muss behandelt werden » antworten
von Nate123455, 2017-06-17, 20:48  Spam?  91.141.0...
Frage:
At the library (Sending a picture) » antworten
von Safina (UN), 2017-06-17, 20:10  Spam?  
In die Bücherei?
Antwort: 
 In der Bücherei.   #872429
von goog1, 2017-06-17, 20:16  Spam?  62.155.224....
Antwort: 
Warum der?   #872431
von Safina (UN), 2017-06-17, 20:20  Spam?  
Is it not akkusativ?
Antwort: 
You are in the library, so you need the dative.  #872433
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2017-06-17, 20:23  Spam?  
If you were walking into the library, then you would need the accusative.
Antwort: 
Very clear! Thanks a lot  #872434
von Safina (UN), 2017-06-17, 20:23  Spam?  
Antwort: 
Prepositions  #872453
von Catesse (AU), 2017-06-18, 08:52  Spam?  
Check up on what this site calls "two-way" prepositions.
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/German/Grammar/Prepositions_and_Postp...
This is essential and fundamental knowledge.
Frage:
Einigungsvertrag » antworten
von aphoenix (US), 2017-06-17, 18:25  Spam?  
dict.cc: Einigungsvertrag
In one entry the English is capitalized and in the other it is not.  I had intended to enter "German  Unification Treaty", based on the source http://hudoc.echr.coe.int/app/conversion/pdf/?library=ECHR&id=0... but am not sure whether a third entry is appropriate or whether the "Unification Treaty" should be changed to "German Unification Treaty".  Comments?
Antwort: 
Es ist der Kurztitel! Und eigentlich sollte parallel der komplette Titel eingegeben werden.  #872426
von Wenz (DE), Last modified: 2017-06-17, 19:47  Spam?  
Einigungsvertrag {m} <EinigVtr, EinigungsV, EVertr> [Kurztitel] [Vertrag zwischen der Bundesrepublik Deutschland u. der Deutschen Demokratischen Republik über die Herstellung der Einheit Deutschlands]

Unification Treaty [between the GDR and the FRG, August 31, 1990] <EinigVtr, EinigungsV, EVertr, EV, EiV, EinV>
Die Abk. auf der engl. Seite kann  man weglassen.

----
Oder noch besser:
(German) Unification Treaty [August 31, 1990]

Ich habe 2 Comments gemacht.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2017 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung ausblenden