|   Alle Sprachen   
EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   SK   NL   PT   FI   LA   ES   HU   NO   BG   HR   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   SQ   EL   BS   |   FR   SK   IS   ES   NL   HU   RO   PL   SV   NO   RU   FI   SQ   IT   DA   CS   PT   HR   BG   LA   EO   SR   BS   TR   EL

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|New Website|About|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-EnglischSeite 966 von 1105   <<  >>
Types of entries to display:     Linguistic help needed   Chat and other topics   Dictionary entries   Contribute!  

English-German Translation Forum

Hier kannst du Fragen zu Übersetzungen stellen (auf Deutsch oder Englisch) und anderen Benutzern weiterhelfen. Wichtig: Bitte gib den Kontext deiner Frage an!
Seite
|
#
| Suche | Richtlinien | Neue Frage stellen
Frage:
pred. vs. postpos. / praed. vs. nachgestellt » antworten
von cameron-coombe (NZ), 2018-11-12, 03:25  like dislike  Spam?  
Forgive the new post but I think we need to further clarify what is meant by the pred. and postpos. tags, which tom reminded us of a few days ago: http://forum.dict.cc/?pagenum=17223&hilite=899827&kw=#entry...

I understand it in the following way, though I may be wrong and am as such open to further discussion. Here's a quote from the guidelines that sums it up, quoted by Wenz:

(1) -- [attr.] for adjectives used only before nouns they modify and which cannot be used after verbs of being or becoming;
(2) -- [postpos.] for adjectives used only after nouns they modify or verbs they accompany;
(3) -- [pred.] for adjectives used only after verbs of being or becoming.

Here are what I understand to be some correct examples from our entries:

(1) attr.: He is a former policeman
I need a copper pot
The...
» vollständigen Text anzeigen
Antwort: 
To add to the confusion ...  #899910
von Badger (US), 2018-11-12, 04:36  like dislike  Spam?  
I would just point out that at least in some contexts "copper" can be used predicatively. E.g. "The pot is copper, not alumin(i)um" meaning that it's made of copper. I think that "attr" is actually mostly added to show that a word generally considered a noun is being used attributively.
Chat:     
von aphoenix (US), 2018-11-12, 05:26  like dislike  Spam?  
The problem is that, as Badger notes, most adjectives can be used in multiple ways, e.g.
https://contribute.dict.cc/?action=edit&id=266879
She admired the flowers, their delicate petals touched with pink. (postpos.)   /  
The delicate petals were touched with pink. (pred.)

Thus I think the key word in the three definitions is "only"
(1) -- [attr.] for adjectives used ONLY before nouns they modify and which cannot be used after verbs of being or becoming;
(2) -- [postpos.] for adjectives used ONLY after nouns they modify or verbs they accompany;
(3) -- [pred.] for adjectives used ONLY after verbs of being or becoming.

That would mean that if an adjective or adjectival phrase can be used both after verbs of being or becoming and either before or after the noun they modify, then the adjective or adjectival phrase should be classed as an adjective and  none of the additional labels labels above should be applied.
Antwort: 
von cameron-coombe (NZ), 2018-11-12, 06:32  like dislike  Spam?  
I like your proposal aphoenix. I wonder if an alternative solution would be "never attr." for adjectival phrases. Then that covers postpos. and pred. without crowding up with tags. Either way, we should eventually seek to remove all of these postpos. that many contributors, myself included, have been adding in over the last wee while, as they suggest that adjectival phrases cannot be used predicatively.

Yes Badger, I think attr. adjectives are generally the most flexible. That's especially the case with colours. Common colours act like regular adjectives whereas uncommon ones tend to be attr.: A blue car, the car is blue; a caramel sweater, but, typically, the sweater is caramel-coloured. Nouns used attributively as adjectives also usually have a slow journey before becoming pred. as well. For example, a factory worker. I have suggested "mostly attr." in some entries, which is often accepted by other voters too. In fact, I wouldn't mind a re-open for the copper with a "mostly attr." tag.
Antwort: 
GL 9.1. says that the tags [attr.], [postpos.], and [pred.] CAN be added when an adjective is used ONLY in that position.  #899926
von tomaquinaten (US/DE), Last modified: 2018-11-12, 11:47  like dislike  Spam?  
The GL says that these tags constitute optional additional information, i.e. they need not be added, and thus, in doubt, it is best to ignore them. Language is flexible, and to virtually every rule there are  exceptions. That is the case with these rules for positioning adjectives; thus adjectives that are normally predicative can often be used as postpos. attributive adjectives; this construction is in effect an abbreviated relative clause in which the adjective is predicated of the noun it modifies. e.g.
     "He is without pretence."
     "He is a man without pretence."   = "... a man who is without pretence".
     "As a man without pretence, he was highly esteemed by his co-workers."   =  [ditto]
This being the case, adjectives of this type should NOT be given a position-tag.

Unfortunately,*adjectives...
» vollständigen Text anzeigen
Antwort: 
von ddr (AT), 2018-11-12, 12:40  like dislike  Spam?  
IMHO ist das Problem, das wir uns seit Neuestem zu viel mit Grammatik beschäftigen. Dict.cc ist doch ein Wörterbuch, es kann kein Lehrbuch ersetzen.

Die Unterscheidung zwischen attr. und pred. ist ja sicher nützlich bei Adjektiven, die nicht beides sein können, aber was pred. verwendet wird, kann doch meist auch postpos. verwendet, oder irre ich mich?
Antwort: 
von aphoenix (US), 2018-11-12, 14:22  like dislike  Spam?  
4;ddr, das stimmt, dass ein Adjektiv das pred. verwendet wird, kann meist auch postpos. verwendet werden.  Es gibt aber Ausnahmen.  Borrowing cam's examples:

(1) former [attr.]
attributive: He is a former policeman.  YES
postpositive: He is a policeman former. X NO
predicative:  As a policeman he is former. X NO

(2) galore [postpos.]
attributive:They have galore cats. X NO  
postpositive:  They have cats galore.  YES
predicative:  Their cats are galore. X NO

(3) asleep [pred.]
attributive:  The asleep dog is...  X NO  
postpositive:  The dog asleep is... X NO
predicative:  The dog is asleep.  YES

however,

(3a) asleep by the fireside
attributive:  The asleep by the fireside dog is... X NO
postpositive:  The dog asleep by the fireside is... YES
predicative:  The dog is asleep by the fireside.  YES

As cam notes, there are alternatives to some of the incorrect options:
(2) They have many cats.  Their cats are many.
(3) The sleeping dog is...
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2024 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung