Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   SK   NL   HU   FI   LA   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   ES   IS   RU   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-EnglischSeite 15685 von 17596   <<  >>
Types of entries to display:     Linguistic help needed   Chat and other topics   Dictionary entries   Contribute!  

English-German Translation Forum

Hier kannst du Fragen zu Übersetzungen stellen (auf Deutsch oder Englisch) und anderen Benutzern weiterhelfen. Wichtig: Bitte gib den Kontext deiner Frage an!
Seite
|
#
| Suche | Richtlinien | Neue Frage stellen
Frage:
They say winning’s in the beginning... » antworten
von romy (CZ/GB), 2015-05-21, 14:55  like dislike  Spam?  
"They say winning’s in the beginning, so there’s an exclusive competition to win some [small stuff at the BEGINNING of the big contest]."
I have never heard this saying before and it does not make any sense to me.
"Man sagt, der Start ist schon ein Sieg ..."
Trifft das den Kern der Aussage?
Antwort: 
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2015-05-21, 15:07  like dislike  Spam?  
It's probably a sports saying, so perhaps Der Sieg liegt schon im Start. With some sports, that's absolutely true. Think of a 100-meter run, which you will definitely NOT win if you botch your start. Long ago, I used to race bicycles on a banked track and can tell you that in my specialty (1,000 meter standing-start time trial), a less-than-perfect start meant certain defeat.
Antwort: 
winning in the beginning by winning the beginning? #801386
von Lisa4dict loggedout, 2015-05-21, 15:32  like dislike  Spam?  99.11.162....
Google: winning in the beginning by winning the beginning
There are only 2 ghits for your version, and one of those is from India.  The above is a common saying about good opening statements or sales pitches, among other things.  It means a good opening will go a long way towards making your audience want more.
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2015-05-21, 15:48  like dislike  Spam?  
Agree with Lisa on the possible Indian-ness of this. I've never heard of "They say winnning's in the beginning" either. My post was just a musing on how a good start can lead to a winning performance in sports. It was also an example of shameless male bragging, sorry.
Antwort: 
Thanks  #801391
von romy (CZ/GB), 2015-05-21, 15:52  like dislike  Spam?  
"Ein guter Start ist schon der halbe Sieg" - would that hit the nail on the head?
Antwort: 
von MichaelK (US), 2015-05-21, 15:58  like dislike  Spam?  
I would probably use Frisch gewagt ist halb gewonnen, but you can't go wrong with anything you make up, either. The English appears to be just made up by someone to fit some advertising scheme.
Chat:     
Perched high up in an ugly Delhi tower block is a shrine to the newest deity in India's teeming pantheon - the Goddess of English.  #801416
von Proteus-, 2015-05-21, 16:52  like dislike  Spam?  194.96.48...
Her high priest is a Dalit (former Untouchable, according to India's historic caste system) activist called Chandra Bhan Prasad.
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-20500312
Chat:     
Betrayal  #801476
von Catesse (AU), 2015-05-22, 04:10  like dislike  Spam?  
That, Proteus, is exactly the point I have been trying to get across for more than sixty years. The teaching of English in India is a fraudulent betrayal of the students, repeated generation after generation. Incompetent Indian teachers of English do not want their incompetence exposed. Then some of these poor souls turn up at Australian or British or American universities, having matriculated in India, but quite unable to make themselves understood.
The Chinese and Japanese have it right. If you want to have English taught correctly, spend several generations employing native speakers of English (or American), until you have local teachers who are really competent in the subject they are teaching.
The only benefit from the current system of teaching of "English" in India is that you can recognise the accent...
» vollständigen Text anzeigen
Frage:
Is this sentence correct? » antworten
von NoExpert, 2015-05-21, 14:33  like dislike  Spam?  84.60.117...
I couldn't impose my ideas on him.
Antwort: 
It is grammatically correct, but I don't know if it is what you want to say ;-)  #801374
von Lllama (GB/AT), Last modified: 2015-05-21, 14:51  like dislike  Spam?  
It is also ambiguous. It could mean you weren't able to do it or that you don't/didn't want to do it.
Force might be better than impose, depending on context.
Frage:
heute Abend ... morgen früh ? » antworten
von romy (CZ/GB), 2015-05-21, 14:31  like dislike  Spam?  
Gehen Sie heute Abend früh ins Bett, denn schon morgen früh geht Ihre Reise los ...
Ist das richtig so?
Antwort: 
word order  #801388
von Lisa4dict loggedout, 2015-05-21, 15:41  like dislike  Spam?  99.11.162....
morgen geht Ihre Reise schon früh los.  

It will not be surprising to the travellers that the trip will start tomorrow morning (morgen früh). but they might not know that the trip is goingt to start early in the morning (morgen ... schon früh)
Antwort: 
My question is about the spelling: Abend capitalised and (die) Früh not?  #801390
von romy (CZ/GB), 2015-05-21, 15:50  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
Die Groß- und Kleinschreibung ist richtig.  #801393
von Nordic (DE), 2015-05-21, 16:00  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
von ddr (AT), 2015-05-21, 17:16  like dislike  Spam?  
4;Lisa: in Österreich und Süddeutschland ist "morgen früh geht die Reise los" korrekt für morgen in der Früh, (morgen morgens kann man ja wohl nicht sagen, oder?). Es bedeutet nicht sehr früh am Morgen, sondern einfach am Morgen. Wenn die Reise schon sehr früh losgeht, ist Deine Version korrekt.
Antwort: 
Danke  #801469
von romy (CZ/GB), 2015-05-22, 00:32  like dislike  Spam?  
Jetzt verstehe ich das mit der "Früh" endlich!
Frage:
Gottes Mühlen » antworten
von Windbuchse (US), 2015-05-21, 14:08  like dislike  Spam?  
Aber Gottes Mühlen mahlen nicht nur langsam, sondern auch sicher.
"But God’s mills grind not only slowly, yet also exceeding small."   ?

This looks like a paraphrase of Longfellow's "Retribution"  Though the mills of God grind slowly;
Yet they grind exceeding small;

Thoughts?
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2015-05-21, 15:08  like dislike  Spam?  
It's an interesting change from langsam, aber sicher (slowly, but with certainty) to nicht nur langsam, sondern auch sicher (not just slowly, but also with certainty). The implication of the saying usually is that retribution for an evil act may be a long time coming, but it certainly will come.
I think (but am not sure) that the 'exceedingly small / fine' (often trefflich fein in the German version) is to suggest that no one escapes punishment sort of along the lines of "karma will get everyone" or "what goes around, comes around."
Antwort: 
And yet the mills of God not only grind slowly but also surely - nothing else expressed in German  #801413
von Proteus-, 2015-05-21, 16:45  like dislike  Spam?  194.96.48...
Antwort: 
von Windbuchse (US), 2015-05-21, 20:50  like dislike  Spam?  
Ancient expression, first line from the Greek Sibylline Oracles.

In German, from The Sinngedichte of Friedrich von Logau in 1694: "Gottes Mühlen mahlen langsam, mahlen aber trefflich klein / Ob aus Langmut er sich säumet, bringt mit Schärf' er alles ein" which was translated by Longfellow as: "Though the mills of God grind slowly, yet they grind exceeding small; Though with patience He stands waiting, with exactness grinds He all."

Not sure if American readers are going to understand. Here, it is "The wheels of Justice grind slow..."
So, will go with "And yet the mills of God no only grind slowly but also surely." and add a footnote with some info on the expression..
Frage:
Wenigstens schämt er sich! » antworten
von Johanna33, 2015-05-21, 13:41  like dislike  Spam?  80.149.20....
Antwort: 
At least he is embarrassed  #801357
von goog1, 2015-05-21, 13:57  like dislike  Spam?  79.241.64...
Frage:
Scheidung auf gemeinsames Begehren » antworten
von Sam22 (UN), 2015-05-21, 13:22  like dislike  Spam?  
Hi,
Does 'Scheidung auf gemeinsames Begehren' mean 'Divorce upon a joint request'? The context is legal-Swiss Civil Code , Article 111.
Thanks!
Antwort: 
? https://www.google.co.uk/#q=%22joint+divorce+petition%22  ?  #801360
von goog1, 2015-05-21, 14:00  like dislike  Spam?  79.241.64...
Antwort: 
von Sam22 (UN), 2015-05-21, 16:48  like dislike  Spam?  
Vielen Dank!
Antwort: 
Divorce  #801477
von Catesse (AU), 2015-05-22, 04:21  like dislike  Spam?  
"Joint petition" may be an American term.
More usual seem to be: "divorce by mutual consent", and perhaps "no fault divorce."
Antwort: 
Scheidung einvernehmliche  #880716
von c-werth (DE), Last modified: 2017-11-16, 22:29  like dislike  Spam?  
https://www.familienrecht-fachanwalt-düsseldorf.de/scheidung/
yes, einvernehmliche Scheidung - Scheidung auf gemeinsames Begehren!
Frage:
freigiebig » antworten
von Deseret (SI), 2015-05-21, 13:20  like dislike  Spam?  
Auch Kesey geriet mit der staatlichen Ordnung häufiger in Konflikt, insbesondere zu der Zeit, als er mit den „Merry Pranksters“, einer bunten Truppe von Aussteigern, in einem alten Schulbus durch die USA tourte, um in freigiebigen Happenings die Jugend des Landes von der befreienden Wirkung von LSD und anderer Rauschmittel zu überzeugen.

Freigiebig is supposed to mean generous, but in connection with happening that doesn't make much sense. Is there any other meaning to this word?
Antwort: 
There obviously was no shortage on drugs, and drugs were free.  #801351
von Dracs (DE), 2015-05-21, 13:26  like dislike  Spam?  
I'm not happy with the "freigiebig" either. The sounding of the text suggests a mix of unrestrained, rampant drug use.
Antwort: 
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2015-05-21, 14:06  like dislike  Spam?  
The writer probably meant freizügig in its definition of Nicht den bürgerlichen Moralbegriffen entsprechend. The word "unrestrained" is a good suggestion.
Antwort: 
Freigiebig  #801354
von Catesse (AU), 2015-05-21, 13:38  like dislike  Spam?  
There are a lot of translations on internet for "freigiebig", with a very wide range of meanings.
lavish, open-handed, open-minded, bountiful.
It's rather an "Alice-in-Wonderland" word.
"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."
Actually, this is from "Alice through the Looking Glass".
Chat:     
So it's not generous, it's more like liberal, open-minded, permissive, unrestrained  #801361
von Deseret (SI), Last modified: 2015-05-21, 14:01  like dislike  Spam?  
I hate it when I know less than I did before I posted a question in this forum.
Antwort: 
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2015-05-21, 14:24  like dislike  Spam?  
As you suspect, "generous" makes little sense. "Liberal" and "open-minded" are too weak in my view. Most of these happenings were just plain wild, so "unrestrained" or "uninhibited" would fit better.
It occurred to me just now that the author might have wanted to suggest that Kesey's Merry Pranksters gave out drugs for free (which in fact, they did). With that interpretation, I would translate the freigiebigen Happenings with "happenings with drugs provided for free" as alluded to above by Dracs.
Chat:     
OK, thank you, I think I'm gonna choose the latter interpretation.  #801379
von Deseret (SI), 2015-05-21, 15:05  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), 2015-05-21, 15:25  like dislike  Spam?  
Yes, the more I think about it, the more I'm sure you and Dracs are right ("free drugs provided").
Antwort: 
von ddr (AT), 2015-05-21, 17:30  like dislike  Spam?  
Yes, freigiebig means that you are frequently giving things away for free. (open-handed, bountyful)
Freizügig I know for frivol, gewagt, but Duden says it is also a synonym for freigiebig.
Freigiebige Happenings is an odd construction, as normally people are freigiebig, but I think the interpretation is correct.
Frage:
übersetzen » antworten
von ..., 2015-05-21, 12:53  like dislike  Spam?  91.5.247...
hahahaha i still do it though
when i promise squad not to text my ex again
Antwort: 
Please see the guidelines! [try on your own first]  #801339
von Ivy (DE), 2015-05-21, 12:53  like dislike  Spam?  
Dieses Forum bietet keinen kostenlosen Übersetzungsservice. Bitte unterbreite zuerst einen eigenen Übersetzungsvorschlag! Maschinelle Übersetzungen (Google Translate, Babelfish, usw.) zählen nicht als eigener Versuch.
- - - - - - -
This forum is designed to allow users to share ideas and provide mutual help in correcting translations and understanding vocabulary. All feedback is given voluntarily by users and it cannot be expected that they will willingly provide free translations to lengthy texts where no attempt has first been made by the person posting. Machine translation (Google Translate, Babelfish or the like) does not count as your own attempt.
Chat:     
Wird das Forum immer mehr zum Tummelplatz für Dumpfbacken?  #801409
von Proteus-, 2015-05-21, 16:37  like dislike  Spam?  194.96.48...
Frage:
Welche Präposition? » antworten
von Templeton, 2015-05-21, 12:32  like dislike  Spam?  93.204.24...
The highest values are reached with 0.10 units/ml on day six and seven.
Antwort: 
von Dracs (DE), 2015-05-21, 13:16  like dislike  Spam?  
"with" ist OK, aber für "reached" würde ich "obtained" nehmen.
Aber vielleicht kommt das bei mir vom vielen Bahnfahren und dem "All connections will be reached" in lausiger Aussprache.
Satzkonstruktionen im Aktiv halte ich für besser:
Giving 0 up to 10 units on day six and seven will yield the highest values. (Oder so ähnlich.)
Antwort: 
Danke  #801359
von Templeton, 2015-05-21, 13:59  like dislike  Spam?  93.204.24...
Danke für deine Antwort. Ich möchte ein Diagramm beschreiben.

Die Höchstwerte von 0,10 units/ml werden an Tag sechs und sieben erreicht.
Antwort: 
von Windbuchse (US), 2015-05-21, 14:18  like dislike  Spam?  
Die Höchstwerte von 0,10 units/ml werden an Tag sechs und sieben erreicht.
I'm translating as: "The maximum values of 0.10 units / ml are achieved on day six and seven."

If the above translation is okay, a little more precise way of saying this would be:
"The maximum values are 0.10 units/ml; these values are achieved on days six and seven."
Antwort: 
Thank you very much!  #801371
von Templeton, 2015-05-21, 14:41  like dislike  Spam?  93.204.24...
Frage:
Stellung der Adverben » antworten
von Aliaxys_123, 2015-05-21, 12:31  like dislike  Spam?  109.91.91...
Hi,

ab und an tue ich mich mit Adverbien schwer. Generell verstehe ich wie diese funktionieren und wie/wo sie zu stehen haben bzw. stehen können. Manchmal ist es mir jedoch noch nicht ganz klar.

Wenn ich nun das Wort "exactly" nehme. Wäre dann:

1. I will exactly be there

oder

2. I will be exactly there

richtig?

Oder ist beides möglich? Ich kann ja beispielsweise auch "I deeply am impressed" und "I am deeply impressed" sagen, je nachdem, oder mache ich da einen grundlegenden Fehler?

Danke und Gruß
Antwort: 
zu 2.  #801336
von Ivy (DE), 2015-05-21, 12:37  like dislike  Spam?  
I am deeply impressed.
Chat:     
Adverbs and verb "to be"  #801356
von Catesse (AU), 2015-05-21, 13:43  like dislike  Spam?  
I don't think that you can ever use an adverb before parts of the verb "to be".
You can say either "I deeply regret" or "I regret deeply", but only "I am deeply impressed".
Now perhaps somebody will jump on me and give an example where it can be done, but it is always safer not to do so.
Antwort: 
von Windbuchse (US), 2015-05-21, 14:47  like dislike  Spam?  
1. I will exactly be there

oder

2. I will be exactly there

Neither, really. 1. doesn't make sense. 2. This can work, but being "exactly" somewhere is odd usage. "I will be right there." is a standard phrase that means about the same thing.

However, I suspect that what you mean is something to the effect of, "I will be there, exactly . . .at 3 o'clock."
Antwort: 
Agree  #801475
von Catesse (AU), 2015-05-22, 03:14  like dislike  Spam?  
"I will exactly be there" is impossible, incorrect.
"I will be exactly there" is possible - a bit weird, but right enough if you have a map in hand and are pointing out exactly where you will be.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung