Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   SK   NL   HU   FI   LA   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   ES   IS   RU   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-EnglischSeite 16570 von 17596   <<  >>
Types of entries to display:     Linguistic help needed   Chat and other topics   Dictionary entries   Contribute!  

English-German Translation Forum

Hier kannst du Fragen zu Übersetzungen stellen (auf Deutsch oder Englisch) und anderen Benutzern weiterhelfen. Wichtig: Bitte gib den Kontext deiner Frage an!
Seite
|
#
| Suche | Richtlinien | Neue Frage stellen
Frage:
wurde » antworten
von Deseret (SI), Last modified: 2016-12-26, 17:38  like dislike  Spam?  
"Nach Angaben seines Agenten ist er "friedlich bei sich zu Hause entschlafen". Michael wurde 53 Jahre alt."

Why is word "wurde" used here and not "war"? He didn't turn 53, he was 53.
Antwort: 
von ddr (AT), 2016-12-26, 11:49  like dislike  Spam?  
That's just the usual wording in a death notice.

An alternative would be: 'M. ist (nur) 53 Jahre alt geworden,' but that's not commonly used.
Another: 'M. war (erst) 53 Jahre alt, als er bei einem Unfall ums Leben kam.'

Maybe someone can give you a grammatical reason.
Antwort: 
von lajan (DE), 2016-12-26, 12:10  like dislike  Spam?  
Er ist 53 Jahre alt geworden.= Er wurde 53 Jahre alt. /Passiv, Präteritum

Gruß lajan
Antwort: 
von pw86 (DE), 2016-12-26, 13:33  like dislike  Spam?  
This is just one of many cases in which phrases cannot be translated word by word. When talking about one´s birthday in German, for example, one says (translated word by word) "I become 30 years old", a construction which is, of course, not possible in English. In your example, "war 53 Jahre alt" would be perfectly fine as well.
Antwort: 
Last and Final Christmas  #861665
von Duneyr, 2016-12-26, 13:47  like dislike  Spam?  46.90.146...
In an obituary, the phrase "wurde XX Jahre alt" is used in the sense of "he died at the final age of XX" (not "he just turned XX"). No more b-days for George Michael.
Chat:     
Danke / Thanks  #861666
von Deseret (SI), 2016-12-26, 14:06  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
von Sasso', 2016-12-27, 11:14  like dislike  Spam?  78.41.149....
In your context, "Er war 53 Jahre alt" is not used and sounds unidiomatic, because "war" describes a state of being at a given point in someone's life and implies that the individual's life continues. "Er wurde 53 Jahre alt"  describes a final point in somebody's life.
Chat:     
Danke  #861765
von Deseret (SI), 2016-12-27, 17:54  like dislike  Spam?  
Frage:
Which sentence sounds the best? » antworten
von infernalsurge (CA), Last modified: 2016-12-26, 04:45  like dislike  Spam?  
I want to say "I'm never buying you groceries again" in German. Which is the best, or which ones are better?

Ich kaufe Lebensmittel nie wieder für dich
Ich kaufe nie wieder Lebensmittel für dich.

Ich kaufe dir nie wieder Lebensmittel.
Ich kaufe dir Lebensmittel nie wieder.

Ich werde nie wieder dir Lebensmittel kaufen
Ich werde nie wieder Lebensmittel für dich kaufen.

Nie wieder werde ich dir Lebensmittel kaufen.
Nie wieder werde ich Lebensmittel fur dich kaufen.

Also, should I use Ich kaufe or Ich werde kaufe? Does it matter? Thanks.
Antwort: 
 Nie wieder werde ich dir Lebensmittel kaufen.  #861650
von meto2 (DE), 2016-12-26, 07:13  like dislike  Spam?  
That is the most fitting expression, even considering the grammical future time.

Also possible is: Ich werde nie wieder Lebensmittel für dich kaufen.
Chat:     
von aphoenix (US), 2016-12-26, 07:38  like dislike  Spam?  
Are your choices based on style, the most important information being "nie wieder", or do they just sound better, or are there other reasons?  (The better I understand the reasoning, the better I can apply the lesson.)
Antwort: 
first position in German sentence  #861652
von meto2 (DE), 2016-12-26, 08:11  like dislike  Spam?  
Of course " Nie wieder " at the beginning of the sentence puts the stress on these two words.
Antwort: 
von ddr (AT), 2016-12-26, 11:29  like dislike  Spam?  
Ich kaufe Lebensmittel nie wieder für dich FALSCH
Ich kaufe nie wieder Lebensmittel für dich.

Ich kaufe dir nie wieder Lebensmittel.
Ich kaufe dir Lebensmittel nie wieder. FALSCH

Ich werde nie wieder dir Lebensmittel kaufen FALSCH
Ich werde nie wieder Lebensmittel für dich kaufen.

Nie wieder werde ich dir Lebensmittel kaufen.
Nie wieder werde ich Lebensmittel fur dich kaufen.

Wie schon gesagt wurde: Das 'Nie wieder' am Satzanfang ist stärker und emotionaler als die anderen möglichen Varianten.
In der Alltagssprache, besonders in der gesprochenen, brauchst Du das Futur nicht verwenden.
Chat:     
von aphoenix (US), 2016-12-26, 20:40  like dislike  Spam?  
Thanks!
Antwort: 
von infernalsurge (CA), 2016-12-27, 02:35  like dislike  Spam?  
Thank you everyone! Really appreciate all the answers.
Antwort: 
von infernalsurge (CA), Last modified: 2016-12-27, 03:25  like dislike  Spam?  
4;ddr  If I'm not supposed to use the future, then do I say "Ich kaufe Karotten" instead of "Ich werde Karotten kaufen?" In English I'm trying to say "I will buy carrots." Also, "Ich fahre" is better than "Ich werde fahren?"
Antwort: 
von ddr (AT), Last modified: 2016-12-27, 09:52  like dislike  Spam?  
You can use the future, of course, nor is it 'better' not to use it, but it's quite normal not to use it in colloquial language. E.g.: 'Ich fahre nächste Woche nach Paris' is more common than 'ich werde nächste Woche nach Paris fahren', but the latter is not 'wrong'.
Antwort: 
von Sasso', 2016-12-27, 11:18  like dislike  Spam?  78.41.149....
"für dich" is the proper wording when you run errands for someone and get refunded. "dir kaufen" would mean making someone a present, i.e. paying for the groceries yourself.
Chat:     
von infernalsurge (CA), 2016-12-27, 18:42  like dislike  Spam?  
4;ddr Ahhh I see, thank you.
Antwort: 
von infernalsurge (CA), 2016-12-27, 18:42  like dislike  Spam?  
4;Sasso Alright, I will use that then.
Frage:
Could someone please explain how other people get votes delayed until they return? » antworten
von aphoenix (US), Last modified: 2016-12-26, 04:06  like dislike  Spam?  
I selected all of the options in my profile settings for being notified.  These seem to involve only items I've submitted.  Yet I keep finding entries that are delayed to give multiple people a chance to vote.  Why do they get that but I get outvoted without notice?  How do I get this privilege?

Seriously, I'm sick of spending all my time checking all of my votes to make sure I'm not going to get shafted.  This is a pointless waste of time.  I think you can see by my record that I'm willing to work hard to try to get things accomplished; but I don't have time to waste.
Antwort: 
Voting on re-opens  #861653
von Catesse (AU), 2016-12-26, 08:17  like dislike  Spam?  
I think that it may be a case of a technique that you do not understand.
I checked out "Uri". Originally it was "Uri Canton". It was re-opened to make it "Canton of Uri", to match other similar entries. You were apparently notified of this re-opening, and intended to vote for the new "Canton of Uri". However, you apparently failed to noticed that you had not highlighted the new vote "Canton of Uri", so your vote reverted to "Uri Canton".
With re-opens in particular, make sure that you have highlighted the form you want to vote for. It will turn a sort of orange-pink. Then it is safe to vote for it. Even old hands can get caught on this point from time to time (including me). Do you think that this is what happened?
I wish there was some technical way of ensuring that it does not happen that people vote for a form that they did not mean to vote for.
Antwort: 
von Paul (AT), 2016-12-26, 10:22  like dislike  Spam?  
For re-opened entries there is a delay of 3 days (starting with the reopening date and time) to allow previous voters to participate. If the 3 days are over, or if all of the previous voters have voted, the entry can be verified, otherwise it stays open, regardless of the amount of votes. That's the only voting delay there is.

You don't need to check all of your votes continually. If you want to check, just check those with recent votes by others. To do that, go to http://users.dict.cc/my-account/ and click "My Votes: Pending", then click "Only entries reviewed by other users within the last [1/2/3/...] [hours/days/weeks/...]". You can also bookmark this page after you've chosen the time frame to make checking even faster.
Antwort: 
Paul  #861662
von Catesse (AU), 2016-12-26, 13:01  like dislike  Spam?  
The thing here is that aphoenix apparently not only was notified of the re-open and did vote on it, but probably not in the way she intended. We need to await her response to see if that is what happened.
Antwort: 
von aphoenix (US), Last modified: 2016-12-26, 17:03  like dislike  Spam?  
Actually, I wasn't notified of the re-open.  I just always check for entries that are close to verification in order to try to get them out of the queue faster.  

I checked the Uri entry and Catesse is right that I did not vote in the way I intended.  I've seen this happen occasionally before so I try to always remember to go back to the entry form to make sure that this doesn't happen.  However, that is rather difficult and inconvenient because one has to either use the back arrow or first click history and then go back to the form.   I am sometimes distracted by the new entry that shows up and forget to go back and check.  It would also be helpful if when one checked the list of one's votes pending, it showed whether one's vote conformed to the majority or not.  Sometimes I see a "DV" indicating a divided vote for an entry, but that happens very seldom, even though around half the entries seem to result in divided votes.
Antwort: 
von Paul (AT), 2016-12-27, 11:38  like dislike  Spam?  
The "DV" stands for "differing vote" (mouse-over to see a tooltip text). There are two of them in your "input pending" list currently, so you can verify.
Frage:
to hello » antworten
von aphoenix (US), Last modified: 2016-12-26, 02:49  like dislike  Spam?  
http://contribute.dict.cc/?action=edit&id=1308956

So what am I supposed to do in this situation?  One would not generally use the verb "to hello sb." when one means "to say hello to sb."  I'm not the only person who has pointed out that "to hello sb." doesn't just sound odd, it is unheard of in [AE].  However, we've been ignored.  The dictionary http://www.dictionary.com/browse/hello clearly indicates that (meanings 4 and 5) it is more commonly used without an object.  (otherwise they would be meanings 5 and 6 not 4 and 5.)  http://de.langenscheidt.com/englisch-deutsch/hello?term=hello&q... meaning C rather than meaning D.    I don't want to start a new entry and have everyone ignore the dictionaries all over again.
Never mind.  I just deleted my vote and I'll just let those poor users that read the entry make fools of themselves.  Not exactly the Christmas spirit, but I can't move the world singlehandedly.  I guess this is why some people just input more words and don't ever seem to vote on anyone else's.
Antwort: 
von kkava (US/DE), 2016-12-26, 03:08  like dislike  Spam?  
Ok, I just voted for your comment version.
Don't worry about achieving high voting power IMO, it is a waste of effort and leads to low-quality entries due to excessive sheepishness. Vote what's right.
Antwort: 
von aphoenix (US), 2016-12-26, 04:24  like dislike  Spam?  
Thanks kkava.  You're right, of course.  I just run out of patience after a while.
Chat:     
hello  #861654
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), 2016-12-26, 08:54  like dislike  Spam?  
OED  -  no tag for Br. ..... meaning it's Am. too

http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/270707?rskey=pkzDXk&result=1#eid
" hello, v.
View as: Outline |Full entryKeywords: On |OffQuotations: Show all |Hide all
Pronunciation:  Brit. /həˈləʊ/, /hɛˈləʊ/,  U.S. /həˈloʊ/, /hɛˈloʊ/
Frequency (in current use):  
Origin: Formed within English, by conversion. Etymon: hello int.
Etymology: < hello int. Compare earlier hallo v., hollo v.

1. intr. To say or shout ‘hello’.

1834—1999(Show quotations)

2. trans. To say or shout ‘hello’ to (a person, etc.).
In quot. 1874: = hollo v. 2a. "

.....  and whether it's never heard or used is a different matter .....  
" .... how to speak English."  Good question. .... not a new quarrel at all.
Antwort: 
The verb hello in an up-to-date US dictionary: can it be unheard of in [AE]? Or has US usage radically changed since 2010?  #861667
von Proteus-, 2016-12-26, 14:39  like dislike  Spam?  194.96.54....
hello
used as a greeting or response, as in telephoning
used to attract attention
used to express astonishment or surprise: hello! what's this in my soup?
Origin of hello: variant, variety of hollo
pl. -·los′
an instance of saying or exclaiming “hello”
-·loed′, -·lo′ing
to say or exclaim “hello” (to)
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
http://www.yourdictionary.com/hello
Antwort: 
I helloed to the boys ... Wells, Fargo & Co. Stagecoach and Train Robberies, 1870-1884  #861669
von Proteus-, 2016-12-26, 15:14  like dislike  Spam?  194.96.54....
Antwort: 
von aphoenix (US), Last modified: 2016-12-26, 17:25  like dislike  Spam?  
(1)  Americans do read English literature, hence the dictionary will contain some words that are not used in the US.  They are not necessarily always marked as used only abroad.
(2)  The fact that a term was used in 1874 does not mean that it is used today.  This is true in any language, but especially in the US because of the fact that immigrants came from so many regions that marginal words disappeared more quickly.  See Wikipedia(EN): Demography_of_the_United_States Figure 2 for ancestry analysis.    Quick summary:  German 15.2%, Irish 10.8%, African 8.8%, English 8.7%.
(3)  When considering literary usage, it is important to evaluate the source.  I have seen instances cited here in which the list of citations included, for example, five from before 1900 and two newer works of fiction that were clearly written in pre-1900 language.  Authors do this in order to lend authenticity to a story occurring in an earlier time.
Antwort: 
von aphoenix (US), Last modified: 2016-12-26, 20:11  like dislike  Spam?  
Additional notes regarding the ancestry chart:  
The 7.2% who list their origin as "American" either simply don't know or have no more than 50% ancestry traceable to any one country or don't figure it's any of the government's business where their ancestors came from.  (The second of these options is probably by far the most common.) The figure for native Americans (the currently accepted term for what were generally called "American Indians" until around 20 or 30 years ago) is only 2.8%.
Although the figure cited is labelled Figure 2, it is not the second figure in the article.  The intervening ones weren't properly encoded.
Antwort: 
unheard of in [AE] How can a single contributor cover the length, breadth and depth of US usage with any confidence?  #861691
von Proteus-, 2016-12-26, 20:29  like dislike  Spam?  62.47.202....
Antwort: 
Cf. Wikipedia(EN): American_English  Is not the whole of US English an exceedingly hard row to hoe for any single contributor?  #861692
von Proteus-, 2016-12-26, 20:35  like dislike  Spam?  62.47.202....
Antwort: 
Does helloing not come natural to any speakers of English? Take on analogy oohing and aahing ...  #861696
von Proteus-, 2016-12-26, 20:59  like dislike  Spam?  62.47.202....
Antwort: 
von aphoenix (US), 2016-12-26, 23:52  like dislike  Spam?  
Proteus, I've lived in eight states, including ones in the Midwest, the Far West, New England, and Florida.  I have lived in or near the cities of Boston, Chicago, Cleveland, Indianapolis, NY, San Jose/San Francisco/Oakland, etc.  I have traveled to at least 49 of the 50 states on vacations, getting to know many more areas of the US.  In fact, of the 50 largest cities in the country, per Wikipedia(EN): List_of_United_States_cities_by_population, I believe Virginia Beach and Seattle are the only ones I may not have visited.  If you prefer to look at the 100 largest, you can add Honolulu and Spokane.  

I regularly read newspapers from all over the country.  Furthermore, I was not the only person to point out the problem

As for "helloing" coming naturally; no, it doesn't.  "Saying hello" comes naturally.  I did point this out in the discussion of the entry.

p.s.  You might want to wait a bit longer for an answer before assuming you are being ignored.  We are no all online all the time.
Antwort: 
von aphoenix (US), 2016-12-27, 00:33  like dislike  Spam?  
btw, it is not unusual for an American to have lived in as many places as I.  Most of my friends and colleagues can say the same; so, even if I have not lived somewhere, chances are good that someone I know has.
Chat:     
von uffiee, 2016-12-27, 12:20  like dislike  Spam?  80.144.102...
4; aphoenix. It's an uphill struggle (see also kkava's comment). I'm sorry to say that German speakers in particular go by the printed (or these days online) word. There have been many instances when native speakers told them "no, that's wrong". But as long as it's listed in a dictionary somewhere, they're not paid any heed. Just stating facts.
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2016-12-27, 14:36  like dislike  Spam?  
4;aphoenix: Also consider that unlike 10 or 15 years ago, those who quickly shout out an ill-researched answer are often given the most credibility here. And belittling others with questions you really don't want answered no longer seems to be something people take exception to.
Chat:     
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), 2016-12-29, 08:32  like dislike  Spam?  
4;uffiee - dict.cc is a dictionary
.... und ja  " ... stating facts." .... Nothing wrong with it.  But whether it's still in use etc. - different matter. But a dictionary should list the words .....
A long long time ago, "dictler" discussed  "dictionary  vs. thesaurus"  .....
Frage:
I was only gone for 28 hours and it's Christmas for heavens sake! » antworten
von aphoenix (US), 2016-12-26, 01:49  like dislike  Spam?  
and I discover that while I'd voted with the majority on a set of definitions (the swiss cantons) before I left and I find I've been outvoted on four of them.  Sheesh.  Remind me to stop voting a week before I ever go anywhere.
Antwort: 
learning by doing  #861655
von Melie (UN), 2016-12-26, 10:17  like dislike  Spam?  
You will see how the system runs. Don't bother too much.
Chat:     
See #861647  #861663
von Catesse (AU), Last modified: 2016-12-26, 13:06  like dislike  Spam?  
Frage:
Ausdrücken, dass etwas 'deine' Zeit wert sein wird » antworten
von FriendlyNeighbour (UN), 2016-12-25, 21:23  like dislike  Spam?  
Hallo miteinander,

meine Frage steht in der Überschrift.

Ist 'It will be worth your time' die beste Übersetzung (oder überhaupt eine passende)?

Gibt es eine Möglichkeit die Phrase mit 'Augenzwinkern' auszudrücken, im geschriebenen Text. Der Kontext wäre, dass die Sache allgemein nicht unbedingt für etwas Gutes steht, aber es sich hier tatsächlich um eine positive Ausnahme handelt. Ich hoffe, dass ist verständlich.

Vielen lieben Dank :)
Antwort: 
Your time will be well spent       #861635
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), 2016-12-26, 00:16  like dislike  Spam?  
oder etwas mit
dict.cc: worthwhile
Antwort: 
von FriendlyNeighbour (UN), 2016-12-27, 12:45  like dislike  Spam?  
Great, thank you sunfunlili :)
Frage:
love taught me to lie » antworten
von aiai, 2016-12-25, 13:59  like dislike  Spam?  109.42.3...
Songtext "Cannon ball" von Damien Rice" // liegen oder lügen?
Was meint im Textzusammenhang " love taught me to lie"?
Antwort: 
lyrics-link dazu..  #861631
von aiai, 2016-12-25, 14:05  like dislike  Spam?  109.42.3...
Antwort: 
Vielleicht ist eine Doppeldeutigkeit beabsichtigt  #861632
von Proteus-, 2016-12-25, 15:00  like dislike  Spam?  62.116.59...
https://www.google.de/#q=Mehrdeutigkeit+Kunst

Wikipedia(DE): Vierfacher_Schriftsinn

09/2006: Mehrfacher Bildsinn eines Bauensembles. Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach, Karlskirche, Wien, im Rahmen der International Summer School des NFS Bildkritik/ NCCR Iconic Criticism, Universität Basel.
http://www.kunstgeschichte.hhu.de/en/our-team/lecturers/anja-schuer...

Die unterschiedlichen Meinungen über Entstehung und Datierung setzen sich in den mannigfachen Titeln und Auslegungen des Gemäldes fort. Wikipedia(DE): Die_Malkunst
Antwort: 
Definitely lügen  #861677
von aphoenix (US), 2016-12-26, 17:27  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
Definitely lügen Really? Let's look at the evidence  #861703
von Proteus-, 2016-12-26, 22:27  like dislike  Spam?  62.47.202....
Stones taught me to fly
Love, it taught me to lie
Life, it taught me to die
So it's not hard to fall
When you float like a cannonball

Flying, dying and falling are physical actions. Falling may also have moral connotations. Why should lying in this context have an exclusively moral purport?
Antwort: 
von aphoenix (US), Last modified: 2016-12-27, 00:45  like dislike  Spam?  
Love, and the "need" to tell lies to preserve it, have been constant themes in popular songs probably ever since language became sufficiently well-developed that the two concepts had been articulated.  Further, it is common in songwriting, poetry, etc. to alternate items from different sets in this manner.
Frage:
stock grid [Aus.] » antworten
von Wenz (DE), 2016-12-25, 13:42  like dislike  Spam?  
Allerdings lese ich
*Definitely called a cattle grid where I am in Australia, I've never heard stock grid."

unter

https://www.reddit.com/r/reverseanimalrescue/comments/4v8pv4/wedgin...

Ich mache den australischen Eintrag jetzt trotzdem ...
Hat jemand eine Idee - event. Catesse?
Antwort: 
Hat sich erledigt - es steht im OD (ich war zu dumm, um dort nachzuschauen)  #861628
von Wenz (DE), 2016-12-25, 13:53  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
cattle grate in Australian story  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KMSHI5zZGQ  #861629
von Proteus-, 2016-12-25, 13:54  like dislike  Spam?  62.116.59...
Antwort: 
AE  #861633
von Jim46 (US), 2016-12-25, 16:16  like dislike  Spam?  
Usually called a "cattle guard" here.  Google: cattle guard photos
Antwort: 
Cattle grid  #861636
von Catesse (AU), Last modified: 2016-12-26, 01:26  like dislike  Spam?  
I would always say "cattle grid" and I do not recall every having heard anything else, although the man in Proteus's link does seem to be saying "cattle grate".
Never heard "cattle stop", "cattle guard" or "stock - anything".
Cattle grid images: Google: cattle guard photos
The link shows "cattle guard" but I retrieved it as "cattle grid".
Antwort: 
von aphoenix (US), 2016-12-26, 01:51  like dislike  Spam?  
Agree with Jim.
Chat:     
Mine rails  #861640
von Jim46 (US), 2016-12-26, 02:19  like dislike  Spam?  
When the many coal mines in this area closed nearly a century ago, the small rails were sold
for scrap.  There was a demand for them in the western states, to make cattle guards.
Antwort: 
von aphoenix (US), 2016-12-26, 02:48  like dislike  Spam?  
Neat.  I didn't know that.
Antwort: 
Wiki even has more names for them.  #861643
von Jim46 (US), 2016-12-26, 03:07  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
von kkava (US/DE), 2016-12-26, 03:12  like dislike  Spam?  
The only time I've ssen a red kangaroo was near one of these. Its leg was broken. We disturbed it and it tried to hop away, its leg dangling horribly behind it.

Am. cattle guard
Au. cattle grid / grate
Antwort: 
Danke an alle!  #861686
von Wenz (DE), Last modified: 2016-12-26, 20:14  like dislike  Spam?  
Frage:
I usually avoid being first, but » antworten
von Jim46 (US), 2016-12-25, 02:58  like dislike  Spam?  
Merry Christmas to all on the forum.

For those with linguistic curiosity, you can also say:
http://www.deivcalviz.com/blog/wp-content/gallery/graphics/st_g9_0....

But you won't find that on dict.cc.
Chat:     
Happy whatever.   #861618
von Catesse (AU), 2016-12-25, 03:16  like dislike  Spam?  
Strange. Some google sites translate this as "Happy Christmas", some as "Happy holiday", and some as "Happy Easter". I would have linked "pasko" with "Paques" or "pascal" and gone for Easter. Whatever.
My niece in America recently posted a Welsh dragon as her facebook photo, so I posted back:
Nadolig llawen a blwyddyn newydd dda.
And the same to all dictlers.
Chat:     
Coincidentally  #861619
von Catesse (AU), 2016-12-25, 07:17  like dislike  Spam?  
Where appropriate: A blessed Hanukkah. May your candles burn brightly.
Chat:     
Merry christmas!  #861621
von Deseret (SI), 2016-12-25, 11:32  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
von ddr (AT), Last modified: 2016-12-25, 11:45  like dislike  Spam?  
Etwas spät, aber noch nicht zu spät*: Fröhliche Weihnachten!
Und weil wir diese Sprache nicht haben: Vesel božič!

Eigentlich ist Weihnachten hierzulande hauptsächlich am 24. 12.
Chat:     
Danke, ddr :)  #861623
von Deseret (SI), 2016-12-25, 12:25  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), 2016-12-25, 12:52  like dislike  Spam?  
Merry Christmas from Scotland!

and tomorrow
http://www.rampantscotland.com/know/blknow_boxing.htm
Chat:     
Boxing Day sales  #861625
von Catesse (AU), 2016-12-25, 13:08  like dislike  Spam?  
My granddaughter said that she simply cannot afford to be with the family on Boxing Day. If she works then, she gets paid triple time. To wit, $60 an hour. Canny lass.
Chat:     
Frohe, erholsame und besinnliche Feiertage an alle dict'ler!  #861626
von Wenz (DE), 2016-12-25, 13:10  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
Merry Christmas.  #861639
von aphoenix (US), 2016-12-26, 01:52  like dislike  Spam?  
Frage:
The (Name of Author) Appreciation Society (?) » antworten
von Mikeo1938 (GB), 2016-12-24, 13:20  like dislike  Spam?  
How to express the above please:
Perhaps 'The John Betjeman Appreciation Society' or 'The Enid Blyton Appreciation Society'.
Danke im voraus.
M
Antwort: 
von goog1, 2016-12-24, 13:29  like dislike  Spam?  84.161.122....
Antwort: 
von goog1, 2016-12-24, 13:35  like dislike  Spam?  84.161.122....
Antwort: 
von Mikeo1938 (GB), 2016-12-24, 13:45  like dislike  Spam?  
Thanks for the links: I confess to being an out-and-out anorak.
The 'Telegraph Pole Appreciation Society' may get a new member.
Still wondering about a translation ...
M
Antwort: 
Vielleicht:  #861605
von goog1, 2016-12-24, 14:52  like dislike  Spam?  84.161.122....
der Verein/Klub der ... Bewunderer
Antwort: 
von goog1, 2016-12-24, 17:19  like dislike  Spam?  84.161.122....
Antwort: 
Etwa: Gesellschaft zur Würdigung John Betjemans / Enid Blytons  #861614
von Proteus-, 2016-12-24, 22:37  like dislike  Spam?  194.118.51...
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2016-12-26, 11:09  like dislike  Spam?  
Do these appreciation societies actually refer to a real club/society or are they just a way of  saying that someone is one of the people who really likes a certain author?
Proteus's and goog1's suggestions sounds to me like the name of a real society, so I'm wondering if that's what's meant or if you meant something less literal - something more akin to saying "I really like <name of author>".
Antwort: 
von aphoenix (US), 2016-12-27, 01:42  like dislike  Spam?  
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung