Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   SK   NL   HU   FI   LA   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   ES   IS   RU   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-EnglischSeite 17091 von 17596   <<  >>
Types of entries to display:     Linguistic help needed   Chat and other topics   Dictionary entries   Contribute!  

English-German Translation Forum

Hier kannst du Fragen zu Übersetzungen stellen (auf Deutsch oder Englisch) und anderen Benutzern weiterhelfen. Wichtig: Bitte gib den Kontext deiner Frage an!
Seite
|
#
| Suche | Richtlinien | Neue Frage stellen
Frage:
to lie - flach liegen » antworten
von Windfall (GB), 2018-05-28, 12:00  like dislike  Spam?  
https://contribute.dict.cc/?action=show-history&id=939242
Is anyone aware of "to lie" in the meaning of "to be ill" or "to be laid up (in bed)? I think this entry may be a misunderstanding of the reverso entry (I think it probably ought to be "to be laid up (in bed) [coll.] [to be ill] - flach liegen [ugs.] [krank sein]".
I want to check here before I change it, though, in case any one does know just "to lie" as "to be ill".
Antwort: 
OED       #891642
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), 2018-05-28, 14:06  like dislike  Spam?  
http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/108041?rskey=tBzGGy&result=6&...
"  lie, v.1
View as: Outline |Full entryKeywords: On |OffQuotations: Show all |Hide all
Pronunciation:  Brit. /lʌɪ/,  U.S. /laɪ/
Forms:  Inflexional Forms. 1. inf. lie.... (Show More)
Frequency (in current use):  
Origin: A word inherited from Germanic.
Etymology: A Common Germanic strong verb: Old English licgan = Old Frisian liga, lidsa, lidzia... (Show More)
Signification and uses.
I. In senses expressive of bodily posture, and developments of these.

b. with predicative compl. expressing condition; e.g. to lie asleep, sick, dead, blind, in a fever. †Also with inf. (e.g. to lie to die). .....

†c. Used simply = to ‘lie sick’, keep one's bed.  
Subject Categories
Sciences » Medicine
 .....  "
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2018-05-28, 14:08  like dislike  Spam?  
4;sfl, "to lie sick" is not the same as "to lie". Without the sick, dead, asleep etc. you wouldn't know that any of those was meant.
Chat:     
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), 2018-05-28, 15:16  like dislike  Spam?  
I ken
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2018-05-28, 15:20  like dislike  Spam?  
Ah, I had misunderstood your answer :)
Frage:
aphoenix: Was soll denn das DELETE? Nur weil Du Abgänge (küchentechn.) nicht kennst? » antworten
von Wenz (DE), Last modified: 2018-05-28, 12:00  like dislike  Spam?  
Abgänge sind die Paruren / Parüren (Fleisch, Fisch, usw.)
https://contribute.dict.cc/?action=edit&id=868591
Siehe hier Beispiel: Fischabgänge
Google: "Fischabgänge"
Fleischabgänge:
https://www.besh.de/verbraucher/rezepte/?rezept=4
Hier Fischparüren:
Google: "Fischparüren
Antwort: 
Roast the bones and parures in a pot.  #891632
von Wenz (DE), 2018-05-28, 12:36  like dislike  Spam?  
http://www.four-magazine.com/recipes/fours-festive-recipe-17/

Ja, auch das muß man halt verstehen können.
Chat:     
von Windfall (GB), 2018-05-28, 12:48  like dislike  Spam?  
4;Wenz, I think "parures" might be rare in that usage in English. I keep finding dictionaries saying "parure(s)" means a set of jewels intended to be worn together (in both US and UK English).
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/parure
I had never heard the word "parure(s)" with either meaning before this thread.
Chat:     
von aphoenix (US), 2018-05-29, 03:55  like dislike  Spam?  
Yes, 4;Wenz, I found that article, but almost no other.  I have not doubt that "parures" = "Paruere",just as the link provided with the entry indicates.  "parure  frz. für Parüre" http://www.kellner-starkheim.de/gastronomisches_lexikon/definition-...  I'm even willing to believe that "Abgänge" = "Paruere" because the definitions match, although the provided link does not say so.  http://www.kellner-starkheim.de/gastronomisches_lexikon/definition-...  This is not, however, the DE <> FR dictionary.  I would appreciate if, rather than making accusations in the forum, you would actually read the material at the links provided.  I provided links to MW, Oxford, and Encyclopaedia Brittanica indicating that the only recognized meaning for "parure(s)" is "a set of jewels to be worn together".  The English word for "parures" is "trimmings".  This is mentioned in a couple of French cookbooks that include the term "parures" in italics, which is the notation used in English to indicate that the word is foreign.
Frage:
GDR erklären » antworten
von andreas_go, 2018-05-28, 11:48  like dislike  Spam?  176.94.245...
I have to finalize a text about an East German architectural competition, held in 1956 and I have to struggle with a very restricted word count. Using the abbreviation GDR, is it necessary to introduce the full name "German Democratic Republic"? I explained a lot of names of German institutions but there might be some that are well-known enough. I guess nobody would do this with the term USA.
Chat:     
von Windfall (GB), 2018-05-28, 11:54  like dislike  Spam?  
Would your word count allow you to translate "GDR" as "East Germany"? That's what people used to call it. A lot of English speakers weren't aware that it was officially called the German Democratic Republic. Those who were/are probably already know that it abbreviates as "GDR".
Antwort: 
von andreas_go, 2018-05-28, 12:08  like dislike  Spam?  176.94.245...
Thank you! "East Germany" was used before. But your remark that most English speakers dont know the official name is helpful.
Chat:     
von anonymous1, 2018-05-28, 12:27  like dislike  Spam?  70.161.250...
The conventional way to save words would be to write 'German Democratic Republic (GDR)' once, then use 'GDR' hence. Writing 'former German Democratic Republic (GDR)' once could be helpful to those who don't know which country the term refers to.
Frage:
antonym of get out of sight » antworten
von nigilmaadhust (UN), 2018-05-28, 11:16  like dislike  Spam?  
Guten Tag Forum

Does it make sense if I say "I don't want to get in your sight"?  Context: The angry man told "I don't want to see you any more. Get out of my sight."

Can this be said so? "I don't want to get in your sight"

I literally thought that "get in" would be an antonym of "get out".

This is the another variation I tried "I want keep myself away from your sight",

Could you please tell which one is better? Your suggestions are always appreciated. Many thanks and have a nice day.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2018-05-28, 12:18  like dislike  Spam?  
I think it would just be "I don't want to be in your sight".
Antwort: 
von aphoenix (US), 2018-05-29, 03:57  like dislike  Spam?  
The appropriate response to "get out of my sight" is "I'm leaving (now)."
Frage:
integer correct / advisable pronunciation??? integer by Nachteule » antworten
von Proteus-, 2018-05-28, 10:30  like dislike  Spam?  194.96.4...
Antwort: 
von aphoenix (US), Last modified: 2018-05-28, 10:39  like dislike  Spam?  
To me, the OE example sounds distorted.  
The American pronunciation here is correct.  https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/integer  
Both AE and BE sound ok here:  https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/integer
I have never heard "integer" pronounced with a hard "g" in English.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2018-05-28, 11:02  like dislike  Spam?  
I agree with aphoenix that the Cambridge dictionary UK English pronunciation sounds correct. I have never heard "integer" pronounced with a hard G either. It's possible it's a regional variant, but it's not the standard pronunciation, so I think it might be best to delete Nachteule's pronunciation.
Antwort: 
von Ursinus (GB), 2018-05-28, 12:30  like dislike  Spam?  
Agreed. I did a maths degree and have never heard "integer" with a hard G.
Frage:
Fehler im Lebenslauf? » antworten
von Paskal, 2018-05-28, 01:18  like dislike  Spam?  82.5.54...
Hallo zusammen,

könntet ihr euch bitte meinen  [URL=http://docdro.id/KwicAG3]Lebenslauf[/URL] anschauen und sagen, ob es da irgendwelche Fehler gibt?

Danke
Antwort: 
von Paskal, 2018-05-28, 01:19  like dislike  Spam?  82.5.54...
Sorry, das Link ist http://docdro.id/KwicAG3
Frage:
DSGVO » antworten
von mdh, 2018-05-27, 23:12  like dislike  Spam?  95.222.26....
Dear all,

This is about Bestell-/Auftragsabwicklung - How would you make the distinction?

Ihre personenbezogenen Daten werden ausschließlich zur Durchführung vorvertraglicher Maßnahmen (z.B. zur Erstellung von Angeboten für Produkte oder Dienstleistungen) und zur Erfüllung vertraglicher Pflichten (z.B. zur Durchführung unserer Dienstleistung oder zur Bestell-/Auftrags-/Zahlungsabwicklung), (Art. 6 Abs. 1 lit. b EU-DS-GVO) verarbeitet bzw. wenn eine rechtliche Verpflichtung zur Verarbeitung (z.B. aufgrund steuerrechtlicher Vorgaben) besteht (Art. 6 Abs. 1 lit. c EU-DS-GVO).

Your personal data are processed exclusively for the execution of pre-contractual measures (e.g. for the preparation of offers for products or services) and for the fulfilment of contractual obligations (e.g. for the execution of our services or for job/sales order/payment processing), (Art. 6 para. 1 lit. b EU GDPR) or if there is a legal obligation for processing (e.g. due to tax regulations) (Art. 6 para. 1 lit. c EU GDPR).
Antwort: 
Hier solltest Du fündig werden:  #891611
von parker11 (DE), Last modified: 2018-05-28, 04:37  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2018-05-28, 11:25  like dislike  Spam?  
4;Parker, unfortunately those terms aren't in the GDPR/DSGVO or the BDSG :(

4;mdh, I think both "Bestellabwicklung" and "Auftragsabwicklung" are "order processing" in English. "Auftrag" sometimes becomes "contract" in English, but I don't think that works here, because if you talk about "contract processing" it sounds like you mean "contract data processing". If you need to have two different terms for them, then "Auftragsabwicklung" could potentially become "job processing", but I don't think that term is used very often, so is not a great solution. Another way of having two terms would be to say "order processing and order fulfilment". These don't really differentiate between "Bestell" and "Auftrag", but have the advantage that both terms are in use and meaningful.
Antwort: 
von mdh, 2018-05-28, 11:41  like dislike  Spam?  95.222.26....
Many thanks to you both. Yes, unfortunately, this combination is seldom found, as it is repetitive.
I had checked Celex.de (which has the info of the GDPR and DSGVO) without results.

Have a great day

Maria
Frage:
wildlife agency » antworten
von WalterMeder (DE), 2018-05-27, 19:33  like dislike  Spam?  
Wildlife agencies promote sustainable game husbandry, support the activities of game management associations, and see to the implementation of wildlife and game policy.

Wildschutzbehörde?
Frage:
coddle = Weichling (m) » antworten
von timfefe (AU/AT), 2018-05-27, 16:05  like dislike  Spam?  
Hi, I refer to
dict.cc: coddle
Has any EN speaker heard of "coddle" used as a noun in the above meaning?
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2018-05-27, 17:03  like dislike  Spam?  
No. That looks like a Mr Honey mistake.
I did find this meaning as a noun:
noun
3. Irish dialect
stew made from ham and bacon scraps
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/coddle
It seems unlikely that "Weichling" refers to that.
Antwort: 
OED  #891592
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), 2018-05-27, 17:38  like dislike  Spam?  
http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/35571?rskey=EnYS5b&result=1#eid
" coddle, n.
View as: Outline |Full entryKeywords: On |OffQuotations: Show all |Hide all
Pronunciation:  /ˈkɒd(ə)l/
Frequency (in current use):  
Etymology: < coddle v.2
colloq.
Thesaurus »
Categories »

One who coddles himself or is coddled. (Hence mollycoddle.) "

das ist kein Weichling !!!
Antwort: 
von WalterMeder (DE), 2018-05-27, 17:43  like dislike  Spam?  
Used as a noun, CODDLE is an Irish dish often made of leftovers.
Chat:     
von anonymous1, 2018-05-27, 17:45  like dislike  Spam?  70.161.250...
There are some uses of 'coddle' in the sense of Weichling. But I find it mostly in 19th century books. I (b.1942) have never heard 'coddle' used as a noun
Google: "to be a coddle"
Chat:     
von timfefe (AU/AT), 2018-05-27, 21:30  like dislike  Spam?  
Thank you all
Chat:     
von aphoenix (US), 2018-05-27, 23:52  like dislike  Spam?  
No, from the AE side of the Atlantic. I have not seen "coddle" used as a noun.  Sounds like it is archaic.
Frage:
lügen/liegen beugung der Verben » antworten
von GerryT (UN), 2018-05-27, 15:23  like dislike  Spam?  
Wenn man bei dict.cc nachgucken will wie die Verben liegen/lügen gebeugt werden, findet man nur vor wie das im Englischen unregelmßige Verb liegen gebeugt wird. Ich war erst verwirrt weil dort nicht angegeben wird das lügen ein regelmßiges Verb ist. Wenn man es nicht besser weiß denkt man das liegen und lügen im Englischen gleich gebeugt werden. Vielleicht könnte das jemand ändern, ich weiß nicht wie.
Antwort: 
Siehe Inflections: dict.cc: lie  #891601
von Wenz (DE), 2018-05-27, 22:10  like dislike  Spam?  
Und beachte bitte die hochgestellte Markierung 1 und 2
Diese Markierung ist entsprechend bei den Verb-Einträgen.
to lie1 [be in a horizontal position, be situated]
usw.
Chat:     
Ach gut  #891624
von GerryT (UN), 2018-05-28, 11:57  like dislike  Spam?  
Hast du das grad geändert? Weil gestern habe ich dass da nicht gesehen obwohl ich danach gesucht habe. Aber Danke auf jeden!
Antwort: 
GerryT, ich habe nichts gemacht.  #891672
von Wenz (DE), 2018-05-28, 21:15  like dislike  Spam?  
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung