Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   IT   RO   FR   PT   HU   NL   LA   SK   ES   HR   BG   FI   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EL   SR   EO   |   SK   HU   FR   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IT   DA   CS   PT   HR   FI   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-EnglischSeite 17171 von 17184   <<  >>
Types of entries to display:     Linguistic help needed   Chat and other topics   Dictionary entries   Contribute!  

English-German Translation Forum

Hier kannst du Fragen zu Übersetzungen stellen (auf Deutsch oder Englisch) und anderen Benutzern weiterhelfen. Wichtig: Bitte gib den Kontext deiner Frage an!
Seite
|
#
| Suche | Richtlinien | Neue Frage stellen
Frage:
in her turn? » antworten
von Deseret (SI), 2018-09-06, 15:02  Spam?  
I wake with a start, and the flute has come back again, and the Master at Salem House is sitting with his legs crossed, playing it dolefully, while the old woman of the house looks on delighted. She fades in her turn, and he fades, and all fades, and there is no flute, no Master, no Salem House, no David Copperfield, no anything but heavy sleep.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), Last modified: 2018-09-06, 15:32  Spam?  
I think it just means "in turn". Another thing has already been mentioned as fading earlier in the passage:

Once more the little room, with its open corner cupboard, and its square-backed chairs, and its angular little staircase leading to the room above, and its three peacock's feathers displayed over the mantelpiece - I remember wondering when I first went in, what that peacock would have thought if he had known what his finery was doomed to come to - fades from before me, and I nod, and sleep.

I think it's just saying that the things are fading in turn (one after another), 1. the room, 2. the woman, 3. the man, 4. everything.
I also think that "fades" here = fades from view = disappears
Chat:     
von Deseret (SI), 2018-09-06, 16:26  Spam?  
To put it in Dickensian terms, I'm obliged to you :)
Frage:
long-range » antworten
von newcallas (DE), 2018-09-06, 12:53  Spam?  
Hallo!
Ich stehe irgendwie auf dem Schlauch. Es geht um Funkverkehr auf hoher See: "... the radio squawked, mostly static, probably a stray pickup from somewhere long-range."

Ein zufällig aufgefangenes Signal von einem Langwellensender oder einfach nur von weit, weit weg? Statt Signal vielleicht eine zufällig Kanalberührung/-überschneidung oder so was? Ich habe keine Ahnung von Funkgeräten und allem, was damit zusammenhängt.
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2018-09-06, 14:09  Spam?  
The "long-range" here is weit, weit weg. It could also sound this way if the sender's signal is weak or if the sender cannot speak very clearly. Langwelle is 'long wave,' a radio band no longer used by commercial vessels.

On an off-shore vessel, there can be three types of communication nowadays. The first two are common and can be required by maritime regulations.

- VHF radio, with a maximum range of 20 miles or so,
- Shortwave radio, with a maximum range of thousands of miles,
- Satellite telephone, with an unlimited range.

If the vessel in your text is alone on the high seas, the "long-range signal, mostly static" would be on the shortwave radio, called "radio" by everyone I know and your character.
Frage:
slant off » antworten
von Deseret (SI), 2018-09-06, 11:49  Spam?  
I was in the height of my fever when a man entered and whispered to the clerk, who presently slanted me off the scale, and pushed me over to him, as if I were weighed, bought, delivered, and paid for.
Chat:     
OED  #896565
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), 2018-09-06, 13:39  Spam?  
http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/181336?rskey=PPsvi9&result=3#eid
" ...   a. Of persons: To travel, move, sail, etc. in an oblique direction; to diverge from a direct course. Also U.S., to move off. ..... "
Chat:     
von Deseret (SI), 2018-09-06, 19:52  Spam?  
Danke
Frage:
auf Erwerb ausgerichtete Beschäftigung » antworten
von Windfall (GB), 2018-09-06, 10:55  Spam?  
Does this mean paid employment or something else? Here is an example of the phrase in use (it is not my text):  https://www.freitag.de/autoren/zeitbremse/ist-die-idee-weltfremd-od...
weil die Mehrheit der Bevölkerung keine auf Erwerb ausgerichtete Beschäftigung mehr finden kann.
Chat:     
 Erwerb  #896566
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), 2018-09-06, 13:49  Spam?  
Beschäftigung / employment  is/should always be paid ?!
Erwerb also means  purchases/buying new things .....
in youir text - maybe not able to do this, they only earn the minimum to "survive" ....  ??
Chat:     
von alex-k (DE), 2018-09-06, 13:57  Spam?  
I think what they imply is to earn their own living. In the future, you may find work but it won't put bread on the table. Right now, an unpaid internship might be part of a career that is auf Erwerb ausgerichtet because it might be a requirement to get the paid job eventually. Never-ending unpaid work is no longer auf Erwerb ausgerichtet.
Antwort: 
Thanks, both of you  #896570
von Windfall (GB), 2018-09-06, 14:07  Spam?  
4;sfl, "paid employment" is quite a common phrase in English. Here's a definition: https://stats.oecd.org/glossary/detail.asp?ID=2000
Paid employment jobs are those jobs where the incumbents hold explicit (written or oral) or implicit employment contracts which give them a basic remuneration which is not directly dependent upon the revenue of the unit for which they work. This unit can be a corporation, a non-profit institution, a government unit or a household. ..... Persons in paid employment jobs are typically remunerated by wages and salaries, but may be paid by commission from sales, from piece- rates, bonuses or in-kind payments such as food.
4;alex-k, I'm even more confused about how to say that in English now. An unpaid internship wouldn't count as "paid employment" in English, but I can't think how to say what you're suggesting. Perhaps "employment geared towards a career in paid employment" - that seems a bit of a mouthful. Based on this entry perhaps "acquisitive employment" https://www.dict.cc/german-english/auf+Erwerb+ausgerichtete+Gesells...
Chat:     
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), 2018-09-06, 14:20  Spam?  
4;Windfall, I know, it wasn't the point I wanted to make .....
is it simple  not able to find paid employment ??
Chat:     
von Windfall (GB), 2018-09-06, 14:32  Spam?  
4;sfl, my text is a contract, so I don't think they're trying to make that point in my text (not the example I quoted). As far as I'm aware there isn't anything about the word "employment" or "Beschäftigung" that means either of them has to be done for pay, although I do agree that if you are working for someone and doing something productive for them, then this should be paid.
Chat:     
von alex-k (DE), 2018-09-06, 15:08  Spam?  
Acquisitive employment sounds odd, doesn't it? Bread-winning employment perhaps? Anything that signals it doesn't have to be supported by the state to make it livable? This phrase is expert or politician talk. It sends the right message when fighting Erwerbslosigkeit as an elected official. I doubt this phrase is uttered a lot at the pub or at a kitchen table...
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2018-09-06, 15:12  Spam?  
Thanks, alex-k. "Bread-winning employment" also sounds odd to me. I'm not sure there's going to be a good answer to this one. I may have to ask the client.
Chat:     
new term  #896576
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), 2018-09-06, 15:23  Spam?  
zero paid contract ??
like zero-hour contract ....
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2018-09-06, 15:41  Spam?  
Thanks, sfl. I don't think we currently say that in English. There would be more of a tendency to say "unpaid" than "zero-paid", unless you were specifically trying to make a link to zero-hours contracts.
Antwort: 
in gainful employment / work  #896586
von RedRufus (DE), 2018-09-06, 18:16  Spam?  
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2018-09-07, 08:05  Spam?  
That sounds perfect, Redrufus. I think you've hit on it. Thank you!
Frage:
Example sentences not appearing » antworten
von DerWichser (UN), 2018-09-05, 17:18  Spam?  
Does anyone know why the example sentences are not appearing anymore after clicking the (I) key next to the translation?
Chat:     
I do not know the answer either. It is probably because not all of the translations are correct.  #896548
von melli66 (DE), 2018-09-05, 20:18  Spam?  
By the way, your name is despicable,
Antwort: 
Example sentences not appearing  #896549
von Meli66, 2018-09-05, 20:38  Spam?  184.5.125...
Doch, Es lässt sich nicht logisch daraus schließen, dass nur einige der Übersetzungen inkorrekt sind. Zuvor hatte die Seite mir eine Liste von Beispielen gezeigt, nachdem ich auf das "I" geklickt hatte. Es tut mir furchtbar leid, dass mein Name dir nicht gefällt. Ich werde bald ihn verändern. In dem Moment, in dem ich diesen Name lustig fand, hatte ich den Beiklang und aktuelle Bedeutung dieses Wort nicht gekannt :(
Chat:     
von Prostetnik Jelzin, 2018-09-05, 20:40  Spam?  79.210.218....
Shockingly enough, Wiktionary even illustrates its entry with a photo entitled "ein Wichser bei seiner Arbeit":

https://de.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wichser
Antwort: 
Please ask Paul!  #896551
von goog1, 2018-09-05, 21:48  Spam?  87.183.236...
Das ist eine Frage für Paul, den Betreiber von dict.cc. Schreib bitte an paul4;dict.cc!
- - - - - - -
This is a question for Paul, dict.cc's creator. You can email him at paul4;dict.cc.
Antwort: 
von Paul (AT), 2018-09-05, 21:59  Spam?  
I recently disabled this feature, because it didn't turn out to be as useful as I hoped it would be.
Chat:     
Prostetnik:  #896553
von parker11 (DE), Last modified: 2018-09-06, 07:07  Spam?  
There's nothing shocking in this photo. It shows the dated meaning of the word:

Person, die Leder mit Wichse versieht, einfettet
Chat:     
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), 2018-09-06, 09:28  Spam?  
https://www.duden.de/rechtschreibung/wichsen
" ... 1. (umgangssprachlich) etwas mit Wichse einreiben, um es dadurch blank, glänzend zu machen
      2. (landschaftlich, österreichisch) schlagen, prügeln
      3. (derb) onanieren .... "
Chat:     
von Prostetnik Jelzin, 2018-09-06, 20:02  Spam?  79.210.218....
Shockingly enough, the phrase 'shockingly enough' is sometimes used when something isn't shocking at all (au contraire)...

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/35689/expression-shocki...
Frage:
spun (spin?) up » antworten
von Deseret (SI), 2018-09-05, 15:49  Spam?  
Therefore I gave him one of my three bright shillings, which he received with much humility and veneration, and spun up with his thumb, directly afterwards, to try the goodness of.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2018-09-05, 16:48  Spam?  
It might mean he flipped the coin using his thumb to spin it up into the air: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jrlb0n4ZwY
Chat:     
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), 2018-09-05, 17:47  Spam?  
OED
" spin, v.
View as: Outline |Full entryKeywords: On |OffQuotations: Show all |Hide all
Pronunciation:  Brit. /spɪn/,  U.S. /spɪn/
Forms:  Past tense spun, span. Past participle spun. .....  "
Chat:     
Thank you both  #896547
von Deseret (SI), Last modified: 2018-09-05, 18:31  Spam?  
He probably flipped the coin into the air to assess its weight and thus see whether it was real gold or silver or whatever metal the coin was supposed to be made of.
Antwort: 
von newcallas (DE), 2018-09-06, 12:56  Spam?  
Falls eine Übersetzung gesucht ist: mit dem Daumen in die Luft schnippen
Chat:     
von Deseret (SI), 2018-09-06, 14:06  Spam?  
Danke
Frage:
whopping » antworten
von Deseret (SI), Last modified: 2018-09-05, 14:58  Spam?  
"I could not disguise from myself, or from the waiter, that this was an uncomfortable coincidence, and inquired how it was done. His answer was not cheering to my spirits, for it consisted of two dismal words, ‘With whopping.’"

whopping: what kind of beating is that? is it more like flogging with a cane as teachers in school would do, or is it more like delivering blows with fists and legs as peers in school might do
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2018-09-05, 15:33  Spam?  
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/whopping
I'm not aware of "whopping" being in current usage as a noun, but the definitions provided in Wiktionary make it sound like quite a severe beating (without specifying if it was done with just fists or with an implement).
Chat:     
OED  says   coll. or vulgar  #896546
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), 2018-09-05, 17:50  Spam?  
"whopping, n.
View as: Outline |Full entryKeywords: On |OffQuotations: Show all |Hide all
Pronunciation:  /ˈhwɒpɪŋ/
Frequency (in current use):  
Etymology: < whop v. + -ing suffix1.
colloq. or vulgar.
Thesaurus »
Categories »

The action of the verb whop v.; a severe beating or flogging; hence, an overwhelming defeat. Also attributive. .....  "
Antwort: 
von Deseret (SI), 2018-09-06, 07:03  Spam?  
Thanks
Antwort: 
von skygoddess (US), 2018-09-06, 23:01  Spam?  
Its an US southern slang variation on  a whipping, or a  spanking. Usually , a "whuppin' (sp) was what you were going to get as soon as your father got home from work.  It later became a more urban expression meaning beat down,  Our team is going to whoop your -----. Or I am about to go whoop some a----.. Its also a noun.-. Instead of you just opened up a can of worms, you can open up a can of whoop-a---.
Frage:
and did for him? » antworten
von Deseret (SI), 2018-09-05, 14:44  Spam?  
‘Oh, Lord!’ he said, shaking his head, ‘that’s the school where they broke the boy’s ribs—two ribs—a little boy he was. I should say he was—let me see—how old are you, about?’
I told him between eight and nine.
‘That’s just his age,’ he said. ‘He was eight years and six months old when they broke his first rib; eight years and eight months old when they broke his second, and did for him.’
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2018-09-05, 14:50  Spam?  
I think "did for him" probably means "killed him", but I think it could potentially also mean "caused his downfall".
https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/ah-it-was-the-orses-did-for...
Chat:     
von Deseret (SI), 2018-09-05, 15:00  Spam?  
What is the subject here, who or what did for him, "they"?
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2018-09-05, 15:05  Spam?  
him = the little boy whose ribs were broken
They = whoever broke the boy's ribs (it's not clear from the passage who that was, but I'd guess older children and/or adults).
Chat:     
von Deseret (SI), Last modified: 2018-09-05, 15:13  Spam?  
I found the definition of the phrase in question in an on-line dictionary:
[do for someone] British informal to make it impossible for someone to succeed or to continue living
It was the flu that did for her in the end.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2018-09-05, 15:29  Spam?  
4;Deseret, by "make it impossible for someone to continue living" I think they mean "killed them". It does seem to be a British English phrase, but it's not particularly clear. It can mean "killed", but it doesn't have to.
Chat:     
Thanks  #896539
von Deseret (SI), 2018-09-05, 15:48  Spam?  
The german translation has it: "»Das ist grade sein Alter. Er war acht Jahre und sechs Monate, als sie ihm die erste Rippe brachen, acht Jahre und acht Monate alt, als sie ihm die zweite zerbrachen. Und dann war es aus mit ihm.«" So he was probably killed.
Chat:     
von Windfall (GB), 2018-09-05, 16:02  Spam?  
I'm beginning to think this German translation was truly excellent!
Chat:     
von Deseret (SI), 2018-09-05, 16:47  Spam?  
It does seem quite accurate, yes.
Antwort: 
von newcallas (DE), 2018-09-06, 09:21  Spam?  
4;Deseret and Windfall: In my opinion: "accurate" - yes, "excellent" - no.
Chat:     
von Windfall (GB), 2018-09-06, 09:24  Spam?  
4;newcallas, why do you only see it as accurate, not excellent? Is it in the wrong register?
Antwort: 
von newcallas (DE), 2018-09-06, 13:10  Spam?  
4;Windfall: You wouldn't say it like that in German, not in a conversation. For one, you don't say: "zerbrochen" in that context.  I'll give it a try:
"Genau sein Alter", sagte er. "Mit acht Jahren und sechs Monaten haben sie ihm die erste Rippe gebrochen und mit acht Jahren und acht Monaten (oder: zwei Monate später) die zweite und daran ist er dann gestorben."
That's not perfect either but closer to a normal conversation. Of course you have to consider the educational und social background of the persons talking, that might change tone, grammar and vocabulary.
Chat:     
von Windfall (GB), 2018-09-06, 14:01  Spam?  
Thanks, newcallas.
Frage:
to replot (a course) » antworten
von newcallas (DE), 2018-09-05, 13:48  Spam?  
Hallo!
Das übersetzt man: einen Kurs neu programmieren/eingeben. Oder neu berechnen?
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2018-09-05, 14:20  Spam?  
To my ears, 'replot my course' means to take another look at my current course--perhaps because I thought I made an error, perhaps because I've got nothing better to do at the moment. When sailors need to make a long-distance course change, they'd be more likely to say 'plot a new course.'
Antwort: 
von newcallas (DE), 2018-09-05, 14:23  Spam?  
4;MichaelK: That's what I wanted to know. Thank you!
Frage:
Zitieren im Englischen einleiten » antworten
von xxxyyy (UN), Last modified: 2018-09-05, 10:59  Spam?  
Hallo,

ich habe einen Artikel vor mir liegen, aus dem ich eine Meinung des Autors entnehmen will.
Nun würde es für mich Sinn machen das Ganze in der Gegenwart einzuleiten. Also z.B.:
Diese Meinung vertritt auch Mustermann (2010). Der Autor ist der Meinung, dass ...
Mustermann erklärt dies damit, dass...

Nun habe ich aber gelesen, dass man laut APA Style Zitate im Englischen mit der Vergangenheitsform einleiten soll. Also z.B.:
Mustermann (2010) described different ...
Für mich ist das aber irgendwie unlogisch. Sicher, die Aussage des Autors liegt in der Vergangenheit, aber ich habe doch einen Text vor mir liegen, auf den ich mich beziehe und in dem der Autor Thema xy beschriebt und nicht beschrieb.

Kennt sich jemand damit aus und kann mir weiterhelfen?
Antwort: 
von MichaelK (US), 2018-09-05, 11:27  Spam?  
The past tense requirement applies only when you specify a time in the past as you did with the (2010).
http://writeanswers.royalroads.ca/faq/199178
Antwort: 
von xxxyyy (UN), Last modified: 2018-09-05, 12:10  Spam?  
So if I have an article from 2016 from the author NAME in that he says something like that:
"In my opinion the temperature will increase by 3°C."

Should I write?:
NAME (2016) represents the opinion that ...
NAME (2016) represented the opinion that ...

In my view it makes sense to write in present tense, because this is an opinion of the author.
However, if he discovered something I would write in past tense.
E.g.:
NAME (2016) discovered 2014 that water is melting at 0°C.
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2018-09-05, 17:37  Spam?  
According to the APA guide, you should use the past tense if in your introduction you tie a specific time to the person mentioned. It doesn't make any difference if you report the person's opinion or finding of fact.

I believe this style rule was made to preclude the possible notion that you're using a literary device called the dramatic present. The dramatic present gives past events a sense of immediacy, but is not appropriate for a research paper. An admittedly over-the-top example of the dramatic present would be "NAME, in 2016, presents the opinion that the world is flat. Then, in 2017, he decides to end it all, buys a pistol and barricades himself into the men's room of the Alfred Adler building..."

I don't know if ignoring this APA rule would have any consequences. Probably not, it's a fine point.
Antwort: 
von xxxyyy (UN), 2018-09-05, 13:12  Spam?  
In APA you have to source by writing the name of the author and the release date of the article. So you always have a time to the person mentioned.
So you would always write in past tense?
NAME (2016) represented the opinion ...
Antwort: 
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2018-09-06, 10:31  Spam?  
If a specific time is mentioned in the sentence, yes, always. What if the individual changed his mind soon after the publication date? Unless you know the individual's current views, you would have made an unsupportable assumption had you used the present. Of course, in the next sentence you could change to the present since you don't repeat the year (and there's no rule that you should).

As a general observation: I think you're giving your own position a bit too much weight. These rules exist to clarify matters for the reader of your paper. The rules don't care if you have someone's article in front of you or not at the time of your writing.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2018 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung ausblenden