Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   NL   HU   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   IS   SV   NO   IT   FI   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-EnglischSeite 17507 von 17528   <<  >>
Types of entries to display:     Linguistic help needed   Chat and other topics   Dictionary entries   Contribute!  

English-German Translation Forum

Hier kannst du Fragen zu Übersetzungen stellen (auf Deutsch oder Englisch) und anderen Benutzern weiterhelfen. Wichtig: Bitte gib den Kontext deiner Frage an!
Seite
|
#
| Suche | Richtlinien | Neue Frage stellen
Frage:
1. Juli, 0:00 Uhr » antworten
von Windfall (GB), 2020-02-18, 17:55  like dislike  Spam?  
I have the suspicion that 0:00 Uhr (as opposed to 24:00 Uhr) means the midnight marking the start, rather than the end of a particular day, so at 1. Juli, 0:00 Uhr, 1 July is just beginning and has a full 24 hours to run, rather than just ending, with no time left to run. Can anyone confirm if this is correct? And either way, does anyone know how to say this in English, as I suspect we think of midnight as the end of a day, rather than its start. Would we have to say "midnight on 30 June" to reproduce "1. Juli, 0:00 Uhr"? Or is there a bigger conceptual problem here, with English speakers seeing midnight as belonging to the day that has just ended, but 12.00.01 a.m. as being the start of the next day?
Antwort: 
Correct. 24:00 belongs to the end of the day, 0:00 to the start  #916541
von RedRufus (DE), Last modified: 2020-02-18, 18:18  like dislike  Spam?  
In English maybe "24:00 PM" and  "0:00 AM" ?
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2020-02-18, 18:24  like dislike  Spam?  
Thanks, RedRufus. It finally occurred to me to look up what we do in English, and it's an unclear mess: Wikipedia(EN): Midnight
Our avoidance of the 24 hour clock means a.m. and p.m. (literally meaning "before noon" and "after noon) are both wrong and both ambiguous for 12 (although I think the convention that 12 pm = noon and 12 am = midnight is winning), so we're stuck saying noon for 12:00 Uhr in legal documents (which is uncomplicated), but "midnight" applies to both 0:00 Uhr and 24:00 Uhr. I personally assume it to refer to 24:00 Uhr unless someone has carefully expressed something to the contrary.
Wikipedia suggests using 0:01 and 23:59 to avoid ambiguity in English contracts (which could also be expressed as 12.01 am and 11.59 pm), but I can't go changing a pre-existing time in a contract I'm translating.
My current soultion for "1. Juli, 0:00 Uhr" is "midnight at the start of 1 July", but I'm very open to better solutions, if anyone knows one.
Antwort: 
for clarity in parentheses "24:00 (PM)" and  "0:00 (AM)" ?  #916544
von RedRufus (DE), 2020-02-18, 18:30  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), Last modified: 2020-02-18, 18:37  like dislike  Spam?  
4;Redrufus, "AM" and "PM" sadly add no clarity here. Possibly 0:00 might work as a meaningful time in English. I'm not sure. 17:00 definitely doesn't. It took me more than 2 years of living in Germany before I stopped having to take away 12 to work out what 24-hour clock times referred to (after 2 and a half years, I started just knowing without thinking about it). It would be like suggesting talking about a height in feet and inches in German or a weight of a human being entirely in pounds in Britain. Sure, it has a meaning, but not a meaningful one to the majority of the audience. (In case you're wondering, Brits do the weight of humans either in stones or in kg. Americans do the weights of humans in pounds, so if you tell a Brit someone weighs 151 lb, we have no idea if that's heavy until we've remembered how many lb are a in a stone (14) and done a (rough) calculation of the weight in lb divided by 14 - and that's just the people who know how many lb are in a stone and don't work entirely in kg).
Antwort: 
You could use some preliminary remarks:  #916547
von RedRufus (DE), 2020-02-18, 18:49  like dislike  Spam?  
"All times given are UTC / GMT / Local Times / ... in 24-hour format" and then carry on with  24:00 and 0:00
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), Last modified: 2020-02-18, 18:53  like dislike  Spam?  
4;RedRufus, I've spent nearly 4 years living in Germany and have been a translator by profession for nearly 9 years now and I still had to check what 0:00 meant. I might be underestimating people here, but to me this doesn't bode well for monolinguals understanding 0:00!
Antwort: 
That's how worldtimebuddy is handling it:  #916558
von parker11 (DE), 2020-02-18, 21:23  like dislike  Spam?  
11 am is followed by 12 pm is followed by 1 pm
11 pm is followed by nothing (date only) is followed by 1 am

They are avoiding 0:00 alltogether. This time converter is great and easy to use, but it doesn't solve the problem of 0:00. Have a look:

https://www.worldtimebuddy.com/
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2020-02-19, 09:16  like dislike  Spam?  
Thanks, parker11
Antwort: 
I think "midnight at the start of 1 July" is a good compromise...  #916583
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2020-02-19, 14:58  like dislike  Spam?  
as it's not ambiguous, but it doesn't sound like a/the standard phrase.

I would have said that if you are talking about the start of something, midnight, 1st July would be assumed to be the start of 1st July, but when I read "midnight on 30 June" in your first post, I thought, "yes, that's at the end of the day".
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2020-02-19, 15:00  like dislike  Spam?  
Thanks, Lllama
Antwort: 
00:00  #916602
von Keuwon33 (MT), 2020-02-19, 23:59  like dislike  Spam?  
Using 00:00 removes misunderstandings but "midnight" adds to more ambiguity. 00:00 and 24:00 are always "midnight". The opposite gives much more room for interpretation and midnight does not have to be a single point in time. Midnight could mean the whole "transition period" whatever that is. 00:00 should have the same meaning in any language. It's based on an ISO standard. If it's a contract, I'd go for that. As for 24:00, I think that was just a compromise and no one is really using it anymore.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2020-02-20, 07:53  like dislike  Spam?  
Thanks for a Maltese perspective,  Keuwon33. Am I right in thinking you use the 24 hour clock there? It's interesting that you don't use the British or US meaning of midnight, which specifically means 12 at night. Is English used as a native language in Malta? Is this a regional difference for you?
Chat:     
von Keuwon33 (MT), 2020-02-20, 22:04  like dislike  Spam?  
I'd actually prefer a decimal clock. But I doubt that my understanding of midnight is any different from yours. Imagine it's one or two minutes past midnight. You might still say it's midnight or perhaps 12 o'clock or something similar. Saying 12 am would feel a bit silly. It's obviously not noon. The 12 hour clock works in speech and frankly I don't know of any country that doesn't use it (in speech). However, most people don't talk about time in a precise manner. Midnight is also a word that is extensively used in literature with all sorts of associations. Of course, that might be my IT background kicking in. After all, I even write dates in ISO format.
In that context, when the clock on any device reaches 24:00, 00:00, 0.00, 12 am etc., it always switches to the next day. In contracts that might be a little...
» vollständigen Text anzeigen
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), Last modified: 2020-02-21, 09:23  like dislike  Spam?  
4;Keuwon33, I can assure you that both noon and midnight are frequently used in prospectuses and contracts to avoid the problem that neither 12 pm nor 12 am is literally right and it avoids the problem of going in front of a judge and trying to persuade them that the convention you thought you were all following was the only possible interpretation and adds clarity for a lot of people, if not you. I suggest reading the Wikipedia article I quoted above on the historical issues and conventions. I find it interesting that the 24 hour clock has reached the IT world, but not the legal one. I guess that makes sense.
By the way, the reason that the dict likes to add people's regions is so that others can tell which regional variety of English or German you speak. Sometimes the different regions disagree on the right way to say things, and it can be important to know which regional variety of a language an answer reflects. You can add your actual region (both where you come from and where you live now, if you wish) by adding this information to your profile, and this will then automatically replace the (MT) after your user name.
Chat:     
von Keuwon33 (MT), 2020-02-21, 15:37  like dislike  Spam?  
First of all, I'm not trying to offend you. Secondly, I only state my opinion on how I would translate it to avoid the dilemma you were describing. Of course, I did read the Wikipedia article and I also did read the 12-hour-clock article on Wikipedia. I was also not trying to suggest that you or anyone else should write contracts in one way or another.
It is my understanding that translations of contracts are never legally binding. The translation does not have to follow the same conventions that are common for the language it is translated to. It is meant as a reference that explains the content of the legally binding text. In that sense, I find it perfectly acceptable to use the 24 hour clock with a translation into English if the original used the 24 hour clock as well.  
The 24-hour clock does exist in...
» vollständigen Text anzeigen
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2020-02-21, 21:42  like dislike  Spam?  
4;Keuwon33, are you from the US? Have you read a lot of contracts, deeds or other legal documents? What industry do you work in (if any)? Do you have legal experience or training? If you have more experience than me in a particular area or knowledge of a different regional English than me, this is valuable for me to know. It would be great to hear more about you in your profile.
Frage:
recurring character » antworten
von JJS42, 2020-02-18, 17:00  like dislike  Spam?  216.162.112....
Antwort: 
Please see the guidelines! [context]  #916540
von Windfall (GB), 2020-02-18, 17:56  like dislike  Spam?  
Bitte Kontext angeben! Ohne Zusammenhang sind keine sinnvollen Übersetzungen möglich.
- - - - - - -
Please provide more information! Without context it's not possible to offer useful translations.
Frage:
performativity » antworten
von hmmmmm, 2020-02-18, 14:01  like dislike  Spam?  178.24.24...
Ist der Begriff performativity mit "Selbstdardtellung zu übresetzen? Das würde meinem textlichen Zusammenhang nach am meisten Sinn ergeben. Oder bin komplett auf der falschen Fährte?
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2020-02-18, 14:16  like dislike  Spam?  
Without any context, I think it's more likely to be this: Wikipedia(DE): Performativit%C3%A4t
Antwort: 
von Zuchi1, 2020-02-18, 14:29  like dislike  Spam?  62.216.202....
An utterance to do/perform an act.
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/performative

Not a word I came across before.
Antwort: 
von hausamsee (DE), Last modified: 2020-02-20, 05:26  like dislike  Spam?  
hier etwas besser erklärt:
Wikipedia(EN): Speech_act
Wikipedia(EN): Performative_utterance

Performative Sprechakte gehören zu den illokutionären Akten. Letztere umschreibt Austin in seinem Buch How to Do Things with Words (1962) so: "by saying something, we do something".

Bei den ersteren ist der Sprechakt die Handlung selbst. "Ich verspreche dir ..." ist ein Versprechen. Der Sprechakt ist eher Teil einer Handlung: "Hiermit ernenne ich Sie zum/r ...", "Hiermit erkläre ich Sie zu Mann und Frau" (im Standesamt).
Frage:
Ist das grammatikalisch korrekt? » antworten
von thewin123, 2020-02-18, 13:41  like dislike  Spam?  165.225.72...
Eine Abfindung gemäß Aufhebungsvertrag zum Kündigung des Arbeitsverhältnisses zum 31.03.2020 bei St. Josef Krankenhaus.
Antwort: 
almost  #916535
von kantaka (DE), 2020-02-18, 14:45  like dislike  Spam?  
... zur Kündigung ... mit dem St. Josef
Frage:
Difference in word order » antworten
von Tratzinsky (DE), 2020-02-18, 12:39  like dislike  Spam?  176.98.167...
... can easily be imaged.
... can be easily imaged.
... can be imaged easily.

Could you please tell me the difference between these three versions? All sound more or less proper, but I cannot imagine they all mean the same.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2020-02-18, 16:19  like dislike  Spam?  
Can you give us more of the start of the sentence? Without more of a sentence, they all sound very similar to me. Without any further context, for formal writing I like "can easily be imaged" best.
If we start the sentence with "The brain", then
"The brain can easily be imaged" means "It's easy to image the brain"
I think "The brain can be imaged easily" might mean "There's an easy way to image the brain".
I think "The brain can be easily imaged." might mean "There's an easy way to image the brain", but might also mean "The brain can be imaged in an easy way".
It's all quite subtle, though, and I'm not strongly certain that they do or are intended to mean different things.
Antwort: 
von Keuwon33 (MT), 2020-02-21, 01:30  like dislike  Spam?  
Having the adverb after the verb (sentence 3) gives it more weight (or importance) but less emphasis (towards the verb). Putting the adverb after a second auxiliary verb is technically wrong but quite common.
The meaning is not affected unless you add additional adverbs or objects to the sentence.
A fourth option would to put it a the beginning of the sentence but most of the time that doesn't work that well with "easily". As the first word, an adverb affects the sentence as a whole.
Frage:
das können sie sich abschmicken » antworten
von muuuh, 2020-02-18, 12:18  like dislike  Spam?  165.225.72...
das können sie sich abschmicken - in Englisch?  LG JPM
Antwort: 
von Tratzinsky (DE), 2020-02-18, 12:37  like dislike  Spam?  176.98.167...
*abschminken
Antwort: 
dict.cc: abschminken  #916529
von Tratzinsky (DE), 2020-02-18, 12:37  like dislike  Spam?  176.98.167...
Dann findet man das auch.
Frage:
Ist das korrekt geschrieben? » antworten
von Lockk (UN), Last modified: 2020-02-18, 08:12  like dislike  Spam?  
im Lagebericht einer GmbH

Gewinnverwendung für das laufende Jahr
Die Geschäftsführung beantragt die Übertragung des im Jahr 2019 erzielten Gewinns auf die Rücklagen. Zur Zeit wurde der Gewinn für den Ankauf von Schalungen für die Mietlager und in geringerem Umfang für Vorräte der Verkaufswaren bereitgestellt. Endgültige Entscheidungen sind in der Gesellschafterversammlung zu treffen, der den Jahresabschluss für 2019 genehmigen wird.
Antwort: 
almost  #916536
von kantaka (DE), 2020-02-18, 14:47  like dislike  Spam?  
... die den Jahresabschluss
Antwort: 
von Lockk (UN), 2020-02-20, 20:31  like dislike  Spam?  
OK, danke sehr
Frage:
Code of Conduct » antworten
von mdh, 2020-02-17, 18:05  like dislike  Spam?  94.114.143...
Dear all,
reciprocal and mutual in one and the same sentence tend to itrritate me. Does anyone have any ideas.

Gerne können wir auch gegenseitige Geschäfts- und Kontrollbesuche in unseren Unternehmen einvernehmlich vereinbaren.

We would also be delighted to arrange reciprocal business and compliance visits to our companies by mutual agreement.
Antwort: 
We would also be delighted to work out an agreement with you regarding reciprocal cooperation- and compliance visits of our companies.  #916518
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2020-02-17, 19:47  like dislike  Spam?  
It's important to point out that the writer will not arrange visits without the consent of the reader, hence the einvernehmlich. I think that 'work out an agreement with you' sends the same message while avoiding the awkward reciprocal-mutual duplication. If you don't like the informal 'work out,' you could use '...discuss an agreement with you...'

Is Kontrollbesuch really a compliance visit? The word 'compliance' often suggests a higher authority telling someone what to do.

Food for thought, anyway.
Antwort: 
German-English  #916520
von Mdh, 2020-02-17, 21:18  like dislike  Spam?  94.114.143...
Many thanks.
Frage:
Where can i see, why my contributions were deleted » antworten
von Tom777 (DE), 2020-02-17, 10:54  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
von Wenz (DE), Last modified: 2020-02-17, 11:01  like dislike  Spam?  
Input archived
Edit-Button drücken --- View History
https://contribute.dict.cc/?action=show-history&id=1437145
Unter Comment ist "dupl." angegeben.
D.h. der Eintrag ist bereits vorhanden - siehe
https://contribute.dict.cc/?action=edit&id=1064327&goback=2
Das gilt auch für comital - gräflich:
https://contribute.dict.cc/?action=show-history&id=1437147
Frage:
by default » antworten
von Deseret (SI), 2020-02-17, 08:34  like dislike  Spam?  
They lost their best client by default.

It's an example from a dictionary (no context).
By default: they lost their client by virtue of being inactive, negligent about him or is something along the lines of: the loss of the client happend on its own
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2020-02-17, 09:22  like dislike  Spam?  
What's the question? I find this example a little peculiar. It's not where I'd expect to see "by default" used. But I guess it means because something else which might have prevented it or changed it has not happened.
When something happens by default it means that that thing happens in a certain situation whenever no other action is taken. Sometimes there is a rule that states that this is what will happen if nothing else occurs (for instance in competitions), sometimes it's just how things work with no explicit, stated rules.
Antwort: 
OED  #916508
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), Last modified: 2020-02-17, 09:43  like dislike  Spam?  
https://www.oed.com/view/Entry/48723?redirectedFrom=by+default#eid1...
"  .... P1. by default.
a. to go by default.

(a) Of a legal case, judgment, or part of a judgment: to be decided in favour of one party (typically the plaintiff) upon the other party's failure or refusal to appear in court, or failure to submit in time information required by the court (cf. by default at Phrases 1b). Hence generally, esp. in figurative contexts: to fail, end in defeat, or be overlooked through lack of opposition or positive action (cf. by default at Phrases 1c).

Thesaurus
close
the world » action or operation » manner of action » carelessness » be careless or negligent » omit doing or to do something through carelessness » commit an oversight » be overlooked  ....  "

Versäumnt  xyz  .....
Chat:     
von Deseret (SI), 2020-02-17, 19:57  like dislike  Spam?  
Thx
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten