Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   SR   EO   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   CS   DA   PT   FI   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Have a Good Friday »
« Stadtherr...    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Tagesaktuelle Theaterinszenierungen stehen tendenziell in Gefahr, den Raum zu runinieren, dem sie sich verdanken.  
von Wuffke (DE), 2009-04-10, 03:12  like dislike  Spam?  
Trends indicate that highly topical theatre productions are liable to ruin the sphere they are due to.
Kann man das so stehenlassen?
Antwort: 
How about  Trends indicate that highly topical theatre productions are likely to destroy the very sphere/space to which they owe their existence .  #418744
von Bernie (AU), Last modified: 2009-04-10, 03:59  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
Liable  #418746
von Catesse (AU), 2009-04-10, 04:36  like dislike  Spam?  
In strict usage, 'liable' means that a legal obligation exists; e.g. 'liable for conscription'. However, it is very frequently misused, even by people who should know better.
Antwort: 
2 Catesse: Würde ich nicht so eng sehen... Siehe Definitionen 2,3  :-)  #418748
von Bernie (AU), 2009-04-10, 05:05  like dislike  Spam?  
li·a·ble (lº“…-b…l) adj. 1. Legally obligated; responsible: liable for military service. See Synonyms at  responsible. 2. At risk of or subject to experiencing or suffering something unpleasant. Used with to: liable to criminal charges; liable to diabetes. 3. Often used with reference to an unfavorable outcome: In a depression banks are liable to fail. [Middle English, probably from Old French lier, to bind, from Latin lig³re. See leig- below.]

American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language.
Antwort: 
Liable  #418749
von Catesse (AU), 2009-04-10, 05:13  like dislike  Spam?  
I did say: in strict usage.
It would be interesting to see somebody argue this with the editor of my third book. Ouch!
Antwort: 
Thank you very much for your answers.  #418752
von Wuffke (DE), 2009-04-10, 05:52  like dislike  Spam?  
All of them are very helpful!
Antwort: 
den Raum zu runinieren, dem sie sich verdanken.  #418754
von romy (CZ/GB), 2009-04-10, 06:11  like dislike  Spam?  
I would like to add just two letters to Bernie's good suggestion:
"...are likely to destroy the very sphere/space to which they owe their existence to ".
Antwort: 
romy  #418758
von Allan, 2009-04-10, 07:08  like dislike  Spam?  91.1.8...
I can't imagine why - "TO which they owe their existence TO" ? Bernie is correct. Two to's are one to too many. So to speak.
Antwort: 
what I meant to say was:  #418761
von romy (CZ/GB), 2009-04-10, 08:32  like dislike  Spam?  
"...are likely to destroy the very sphere/space which they owe their existence to ".
The FIRST "to" must go.
Antwort: 
romy  #418769
von Allan, 2009-04-10, 08:57  like dislike  Spam?  91.1.8...
Disagree - quite apart from the "rule" that sentences shouldn't end with a preposition, bernie's version is far more elegant than having the sentence end with a "to".
After my surfeit of "at" yesterday, I won't inquire too closely about your implied destruction of old forms of lettering: runinieren ;-)
Antwort: 
Allan wird immer genauer! Die Runen lassen grüßen!  #418838
von Bella-Wien (AT), 2009-04-10, 13:03  like dislike  Spam?  

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten