Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   SR   EL   EO   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   CS   DA   PT   FI   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Ein (erfundener) Farbton: beard resentment crim... »
« BT-Drucksache    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
festgelegt  
von kath, 2009-06-08, 14:34  like dislike  Spam?  210.161.131....
Vor allem sind wir ja so in der Judenfrage festgelegt, dass es für uns gar kein Entrinnen mehr gibt. (Goebbels)

Please explain the meaning of "wir sind in der Judenfrage festgelegt". Danke!
Antwort: 
In what context exactly do you need to translate a phrase as such?  #436646
von Baccalaureus (DE), 2009-06-08, 14:36  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
Which document?  #436656
von Wuffke (DE), 2009-06-08, 14:50  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
von kath, 2009-06-08, 14:54  like dislike  Spam?  210.161.131....
It comes from Goebbels Diaries.
Antwort: 
I'd go for "decided" in this case. But I don't think that Goebbels' diaries have to be translated.  #436661
von Baccalaureus (DE), Last modified: 2009-06-08, 15:00  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
dict.cc  #436663
von Catesse (AU), Last modified: 2009-06-08, 15:09  like dislike  Spam?  
dict.cc says:
to be committed [to] = festgelegt sein.
Secondhand copies of the English translation are readily available through Internet, some at reasonable prices. Or is that not what was wanted?
Antwort: 
It still needs more context. You'll need to know when and under which circumstances that propaganda "minister" made such an entry in his diaries.  #436668
von Wuffke (DE), 2009-06-08, 15:09  like dislike  Spam?  
committed or decided are both possible, however, it's a matter of interpretation, and therefore more context would be needed.
Antwort: 
von kath, 2009-06-08, 15:15  like dislike  Spam?  210.161.131....
Thank you!  It depends on the context,committed or decided.
Baccalaureus, I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings.
Antwort: 
I see no necessity of translating that bastard.  #436674
von Baccalaureus (DE), 2009-06-08, 15:20  like dislike  Spam?  
Scholars who have to work with his mental poison are supposed to learn German anyway - and other people are not supposed to read it anyway.
Antwort: 
Bacca  #436683
von Catesse (AU), 2009-06-08, 15:32  like dislike  Spam?  
Knowledge is a two-edged sword.
Historians and scholars need to know many things that they neither believe nor like. I have read not only slabs of the Koran, but also as much of Mein Kampf and Das Kapital as I could stand.
Unfortunately, there are those who would misuse knowledge. But are we to ban cars because people - lots of people - die in crashes?
Scholars cannot cope with learning all the languages they might need to know in order to read the books they need to read. I needed to read a Japanese book written in the mid 1930s, entitled 'The coming inevitable war against England'. I know some Japanese, but not nearly enough to cope with that thing.
This may be of interest. I think there would not still be many people who would remember. During the war, an English translation of Mein Kampf was serialised and sold in Australia in weekly parts to raise money for the Red Cross. Did many of the people who bought it even open the booklets? I very much doubt it. (The booklets were no doubt printed in England.)
Antwort: 
We are so entrenched in our attitude to the Jewish question  #436692
von Proteus, 2009-06-08, 15:57  like dislike  Spam?  80.121.78....
Google: "we are so entrenched
Google: "attitude to the Jewish question"

Knowledge is power. The less we have rumbled Goebbels the more likely we are to fall for devils like him.
Chat:     
Proteus  #436694
von Catesse, 2009-06-08, 16:02  like dislike  Spam?  121.223.67...
That was our school motto, Proteus. On had badges and blazer pockets. Savoir c'est pouvoir.
And that of the ex-students' association, which I did not join, was 'Pouvoir c'est faire'.
Antwort: 
The problem about him is that he was, unlike most others of his lot, intelligent and an intellectual.  #436696
von Baccalaureus (DE), Last modified: 2009-06-08, 16:10  like dislike  Spam?  
Ich halte es tatsächlich für gefährlich, Leute ohne präzise Vorbildung und Anleitung dieses Gift lesen zu lassen.

Knowledge is Power. In this case, it's dangerous power. You wouldn't sell any uranium on a basar in Teheran, either.
Chat:     
Bacca  #436700
von Catesse (AU), 2009-06-08, 16:10  like dislike  Spam?  
And a seminarian too, wasn't he?
Typo (mine): hat badges, of course. I had logged out and was about to leave for the night when the earlier entry from Proteus pinged into my Inbox. Not being logged in, I could not alter the message once it was sent.
(That will teach me to do the right thing! Maybe.)
Back later today. It has just turned Tuesday here.
Antwort: 
I think he was. But he had second thoughts and then preferred to father six children.  #436703
von Baccalaureus (DE), Last modified: 2009-06-08, 16:28  like dislike  Spam?  

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten