Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   NL   SK   HU   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   NL   PL   SQ   RU   IS   ES   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 spokesmodel »
« seinen Lauf nehmen    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
pickle  
von igor, 2009-06-18, 14:31  like dislike  Spam?  81.201.2...
Ich übersetze die Beschreibung der Inhaltsstoffe verschiedener Produkte (aus Indien). Zum Beispiel:

Cut Mango Pickle
Ingredients: Mango pieces, Iodized Salt, Chilly Powder, Sesame Oil, Fenugreek Powder, Turmeric Powder, Mustard and Asafetida

Cut Mango Pickle
Inhaltsstoffe: Mangostücke, Jodsalz, Chilipulver,Sesamöl, Bockshornkleepulver, Kurkumapulver,Senf und Asant.

Oder es gibt noch: Avakkai Mango Pickle , Mango Thokku Pickle , Limon Pickle. Was ist pickle? Danke!
Antwort: 
"Eingelegte Mangostücke"  #439083
von Baccalaureus (DE), 2009-06-18, 14:34  like dislike  Spam?  
to pickle heißt eigentlich "pökeln" - meint aber alles, was sauer eingelegt wird
Antwort: 
Danke Baccalaureus!  #439085
von igor, 2009-06-18, 14:37  like dislike  Spam?  81.201.2...
Also Eingelegtes Avakkai Mango, Eingelegte Zitrone?

Und noch gleich eine Frage: in einem Produkt tritt "shredded mango" als Inhaltsstoff auf. Ist dies "gehackte" oder "geriebene" Mango? Beides gefällt mir eigentlich nicht gut...
Antwort: 
Es ist "die Mango"  #439086
von Baccalaureus (DE), 2009-06-18, 14:39  like dislike  Spam?  
"eingelegte Avakkai-Mango" (was immer Avakkai ist).

"shredded Mango" - "geriebene Mango" ist völlig ok.
Antwort: 
Ach, und schreib besser "Zutaten" als "Inhaltsstoffe" - "Inhaltsstoffe" klingt so nach Chemie.  #439090
von Baccalaureus (DE), 2009-06-18, 14:58  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
Bacca  #439092
von Catesse (AU), 2009-06-18, 15:07  like dislike  Spam?  
I gather from Google that the 'Avakkai' does not refer to the mango, but to the pickles, made in the style of the Andra Pradesh region.
Antwort: 
Dann muß man auf Deutsch "eingelegte Mango nach Avakkai-Art" sagen  #439093
von Baccalaureus (DE), 2009-06-18, 15:09  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
tender  #439095
von igor, 2009-06-18, 15:13  like dislike  Spam?  81.201.2...
Und ich dachte, Zutaten sagt man im Kontext eines Rezepts... Und ich dachte - auf der Dose eines fertigen Produkts kann mann Inhaltsstoffe sagen.

Dann noch eine Frage: Vadu (Tender) Mango Pickle
Eingelegte Vadu Mango (mürbe)??

Ich habe keine Ahnung, was Vadu ist, aber was heißt tender? Ist es Gegensatz zu "scharf"?
Antwort: 
Keine Ahnung - falls es im Gegensatz zu scharf steht, wäre es "mild".  #439096
von Baccalaureus (DE), 2009-06-18, 15:18  like dislike  Spam?  
Man sagt "Zutaten" im Kontext eines Rezepts, das ist richtig - und bei der Angabe der verwendeten Zutaten bei Produkten, wenn keine künstlichen Farb- und Aromastoffe oder irgendwelche "E 605"s enthalten sind. "Zutaten" klingt einfach gesünder.
Antwort: 
von igor, 2009-06-18, 15:24  like dislike  Spam?  81.201.2...
In einigen dieser Produkte tritt etwas "chemisches" auf, und zwar Permitted Acidulants.

Frage 1. Was ist das? Saure Geschmacksstoffe?
Frage 2. Kann man dann in diesem Fall "Zutaten" nicht mehr sagen?
Antwort: 
"Zugelassene Säuerungsmittel"  #439098
von Baccalaureus (DE), 2009-06-18, 15:25  like dislike  Spam?  
hmmm... einmal ist keinmal, würde ich sagen.
Antwort: 
Vadu  #439100
von Catesse (AU), 2009-06-18, 15:28  like dislike  Spam?  
In this context it is probable that Vadu refers to a location near Pune (formerly Poona) in the Maharashtra district. (i.e. the style of flavouring used there)
Tender: mürbe: I think this would be OK when referring to biscuits and pastry. but the word that comes to mind for meat and preserves is 'zart'.
Help requested from a German familiar with cooking. (Or with good eating.)
Antwort: 
Yep, "mürbe" only applies to baked stuff, or meat (where it usually means "overdone")  #439104
von Baccalaureus (DE), Last modified: 2009-06-18, 15:38  like dislike  Spam?  
But can you pickle something in a tender Vadu style as the name of the product suggests? Or does "Vadu" mean that it's tenderly pickled? - Questions that have to be solved to offer an applicable translation.
Antwort: 
chemisches = 'Zusatzstoffe.'  #439113
von mwk (US), 2009-06-18, 15:39  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
Style  #439115
von Catesse (AU), 2009-06-18, 15:41  like dislike  Spam?  
I think [!?] that the Vadu style would refer to the nature of the ingredients, particularly the herbs and flavouring, and the 'tender' to the feel of the pickles when they were eaten.
Some people like pickles fairly crisp, some like them soft. But you would have a difficult task making mango anything but soft, although other ingredients (onions?) might be kept crisp. Following you model above (for Avakkai), maybe: "zarte eingelegte Mango nach Vadu-Art".
(I doubt that many people buying the stuff would have the faintest idea what was meant, in German, English or Zulu.)
Antwort: 
And I can hardly imagine myself eating that stuff.  #439117
von Baccalaureus (DE), 2009-06-18, 15:44  like dislike  Spam?  
Sounds gross. I once tried Russian pickled water melon. WI-DER-LICH.
Antwort: 
Zart eingelegte Mango nach Vadu-Art klingt verdächtig nach Leberkäs-Hawaii...  #439118
von Wuffke (DE), 2009-06-18, 15:45  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
Nö. Leberkäs Hawaii ist lecker.  #439119
von Baccalaureus (DE), 2009-06-18, 15:47  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
Mango  #439124
von Catesse (AU), 2009-06-18, 15:52  like dislike  Spam?  
Mango pickles can be very nice indeed, but I would hate to spoil a nice mango with fenugreek and asfoedita.
All this has made me long for summer. It has been too long between mangoes.
Where is Nour? She is the one who would know about Indian recipes for pickles.
Antwort: 
all: Greetings from ze land of pickles :)))  #439145
von nour (AD), 2009-06-18, 17:16  like dislike  Spam?  
You could also use the term "indisches Pickle". Pickle as Wikipedia defines it is "in Öl, Gewürzen & Salz eingelegtes Gemüse oder Obst" (not in vinegar btw as is usually the case with almost everything that's "eingelegt").

Google: indisches pickle

Wikipedia(DE): Indisches_Pickle

Most of the German people I know here use German term (Fremdwort) "Pickle" to refer to the Indian pickle which is served with almost EVERY meal over here :). Food without pickle or chili = not worth eating for 99% of the Indian population (I belong the the rem. 1% haha).

I am not sure, however, about how common the term "Pickle" is in Germany among non-Indian food fans. Guess it all depends on whether someone already knows about pickles/has been to India or not/has eaten at Indian restaurants etc.

Asafoetida is also known as "Teufelsdreck" in German btw haha, 'cause it sure smells like something that's come straight from hell (that's why it's used in very small quantities to prepare pickles).

4;Catesse: yes, Avakkai pickles is a particular kind of mango pickle (Andhra Pradesh style) i.e. South Indian style.

Tender mangoes are unripe mangoes. The pickle recipes mentioned above are usually made using tender (ie green & unripe) mangoes. In general, the word "tender" is used to describe any fruit that's unripe, so tender coconuts (VERY TASTY!) are green coconuts for ex.

Shredded mangoes are usually not "gerieben" btw, they're small mango pieces, so maybe "kleingeschnitten?"

Ok, I think that's enough "pickle-talk" considering that I am not a pickle-fan at all :)).
Antwort: 
Nour - is a mango pickle different from a mango chutney?  #439148
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2009-06-18, 17:30  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
Typo: chilli powder  #439242
von Proteus, 2009-06-19, 00:36  like dislike  Spam?  80.121.87...
Antwort: 
von igor, 2009-06-19, 01:09  like dislike  Spam?  81.201.2...
Kann man dann also unreife Mango sagen?

Danke an alle für Ihre Hilfe!
Antwort: 
Joanne  #439264
von Catesse (AU), 2009-06-19, 03:19  like dislike  Spam?  
Pending a response from Nour.
Pickles tend to be sour, and are often, though not always, in a clear liquid.
Chutney is usually sweeter, though still tart, and it has a thicker sauce.
I can see why unripe mangoes would be used; ripe ones tend to be pretty squishy.
Antwort: 
Joanne/Catesse: better late than never ;)  #443589
von nour, 2009-07-05, 19:08  like dislike  Spam?  218.248.42....
Joanne, I suddenly remembered today (as I was having an Indian meal here) that I had missed out on answering your chutney-related question!

Well, the main difference, so I've been told, is that in a pickle, the fruit (or whatever is used to make the pickle) is cut into small pieces/grated but it's prepared in such a way that the fruit retains its shape even after it's cooked, so it's not like an "unidentfiable" chutney, in the sense that you can't make out what's in it.

Pickles also tend me be spicy (make you feel like a fire-spitting dragon haha), whereas chutney are usually sweet as Catesse mentioned above. Hope that clarifies the "pickle business" once & for all :).

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung