Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   SR   EO   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   CS   DA   PT   FI   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 mischen /im Verhältnis »
« zum Zeitpunkt der Zeugniserteilung    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Zitat:  
von schwerblech (US), 2009-06-29, 16:11  like dislike  Spam?  
Poet Carl Sandburg once described slang as "a language that rolls up its sleeves, spits on its hands, and goes to work." Nothing wrong with words in a tie and suit, but sometimes only slang can do the job.

Since slang is often born in the back-alleys of language rather than in a sanitized hospital room, it's not easy to pin down its origins. Does that matter?

AWAD (A Word A Day)

jake

PRONUNCIATION:
(jayk)
MEANING:
adjective: Satisfactory; all right; okay.

ETYMOLOGY:
Of unknown origin.

USAGE:
"So far as the state is concerned, everything is jake. But the council seems determined to throw a monkey wrench into the works."
James Gill; Council Seems Eager to Trip Up Churchill; The Times-Picayune (New Orleans, Louisiana); Apr 20, 2005.
Chat:     
to roy  #442202
von Windfall (GB), Last modified: 2009-06-29, 16:22  like dislike  Spam?  
I sometimes accidentally and sometimes intentionally invent words I need. I'm sure people doing this is the source of a lot of new language and slang. My current favourite is to roy somebody. My friend Roy took the photos at our wedding and did an extremely good job of getting everyone to smile and look happy in photos by saying appropriate things at the appropriate time. My husband tends to be more focused on the technicalities of the camera equipment and less focused on getting natural looking smiles on his subjects' faces (there is often an instruction to smile properly in the next photo, I look nervous in the one he just took). Hence my repeated demand that he needs to learn to roy people a bit better. Perhaps one day, to roy sb. will appear in A Word A Day with the definition "to charm someone into smiling in a photograph", at which point Google will lead researchers back to this post.
Chat:     
We have one of those, too:  "the George intro"  #442211
von schwerblech (US), 2009-06-29, 16:57  like dislike  Spam?  
Our wind band (sprich Blaskapelle www.prosit.org) was playing a gig.  "Puttin' on the Ritz" - a swing tune - was called.  It was announced by the conductor that it would be a "swing-intro"  -  that is:  "uh - one - uh - two - uh one - two - three - four" whereupon we were to start playing.  Now George is a very fine trumpet player, but he has issues with, well, paying attention & staying focused and he missed the instruction (which was redundant, as we ALWAYS use a swing intro) and started playing "uh - two".
The George intro was born.
Chat:     
:)  #442212
von Windfall (GB), 2009-06-29, 17:01  like dislike  Spam?  

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten