Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   SR   EO   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   CS   DA   PT   FI   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Mein englischer Aufsatz »
« Übersetzung    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Eine dumme Frage vielleicht:  
von Wuffke (DE), 2009-07-10, 12:50  like dislike  Spam?  
Ist "forever" ein Adverb oder ein Hauptwort im Englischen?
Antwort: 
It's an adverb.  #445024
von Lucy, 2009-07-10, 12:53  like dislike  Spam?  217.225.159...
Antwort: 
Danke. Könnte man "forever" vielleicht mit "Ewigkeit" übersetzen?  #445027
von Wuffke (DE), 2009-07-10, 13:01  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
Nein, aber mit "in alle Ewigkeit / für alle Ewigkeit"  #445030
von romy (CZ/GB), 2009-07-10, 13:06  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
aber wenn ich z.B. schreiben will (über die Akropolis)  #445035
von Wuffke (DE), 2009-07-10, 13:13  like dislike  Spam?  
"Achitekture for the forever" (oder ist das komisches Englisch?) für: Architketur für die Ewigkeit. Ich meine damit das "forever" zu verstärken, sozusagen mit Gedankenstrich, so wie: Architecture for - the forever. Oder geht das nicht?
Antwort: 
Wuffke  #445038
von Catesse (AU), Last modified: 2009-07-10, 13:22  like dislike  Spam?  
Sorry, Wuffke, but yes; quite comical, or at least somewhat pretentious. (And it is 'architecture.)
'Architecture is forever' would make grammatical sense.
If you wanted to wax lyrical, you would be better with 'Architecture for Eternity.'
Chat:     
Kannst Du nicht irgendetwas wie long- lasting nehmen. Was ist leider schon ewig?  #445047
von Bella-Brera (AT), 2009-07-10, 13:41  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
Bella: abgedroschene Werbesprüche?  #445053
von mwk (US), 2009-07-10, 13:52  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
Ich hätte halt gerne "forever" als Hauptwort benutzt - pathetic eben.  #445055
von Wuffke (DE), Last modified: 2009-07-10, 13:55  like dislike  Spam?  
Pretentious ist ja sehr schön, aber eben auch ein Adjektiv. Gibt es wirklich keine Möglichkeit dazu? Ich kann den Schlusssatz recht frei übersetzen, eher würde dann das dt. Original dem engl. angepasst. Überhaupt keine Chance für "forever" als Hauptwort? (Anstelle Eternity) (Das klingt zwar blöd, aber ungefähr so wie bei Michael Jackson's Beerdigung: "Forever!") Auf der Sydney Harbour Brigde wehte 2000 glaube ich ein Banner: Eternity, erinnere ich mich da richtig?
Antwort: 
Wuffke  #445061
von Catesse (AU), 2009-07-10, 14:16  like dislike  Spam?  
I did not mean that the architecture itself was pretentious; I meant that 'for the forever' sounded a bit pretentious.
Half-right about the Sydney Harbour Bridge and Eternity: it was not on a banner; it was spelled out in fireworks. Google "eternity man' re Arthur Stace.
How do these sound to you?
Architecture is for Eternity.
Architecture endures forever.
(Of course, nothing lasts forever, not even Mount Everest, but your intention is poetic and figurative.)
Antwort: 
If you mean to say "the Acropolis will forever represent good architecture"  #445063
von mwk (US), 2009-07-10, 14:23  like dislike  Spam?  
perhaps ['...the Acropolis:] architecture valid forever.'
Antwort: 
Thanks, Catesse, yes I remember, also Arthur Stace.  #445069
von Wuffke (DE), Last modified: 2009-07-10, 14:45  like dislike  Spam?  
It was very touching, this Arthur Stace-forever. Well, I'm almost convinced. "Forever" doesn't seem to be possible as a noun, it remains always an adverb. I will find an appropriate translation. Eternity is certainly better. And perhaps the dict-entry forever-Ewigkeit gave me that weird idea using "forever" as a noun, like in: Your burdens I will bear / But first I need your hand / So forever can begin. This brought me to the idea of a "beginning" forever, so to say, as if the Akropolis had been just built, right now, and from now on "the" forever begins. But I guess, that's weird, isn't it?
Antwort: 
Thanks, mwk and of corse Lucy, Romy, Bella-Bera as well!  #445076
von Wuffke (DE), 2009-07-10, 15:06  like dislike  Spam?  
Just in case any native English speaker would have an idea how to use forever as a noun, even in the sense of the thread just above, I would much appreciate a comment. Thanks once more to everybody.
Chat:     
Eternity  #445077
von Catesse (AU), 2009-07-10, 15:06  like dislike  Spam?  
A lot of things can be said in poetry and song that just do not work in ordinary language.
I tried out 'eternity' in Word thesaurus, and about the only alternative that came up was 'perpetuity', which sounds like a life insurance policy, but in any case you could not say 'for perpetuity'.
I understand the frustrating feeling of knowing exactly the concept you want to express, and finding that there simply is no word for it. Can one have ideas without the words to express them? At a primal emotional level, I think one can.
Chat:     
Well, Merriam-Webster actually has a noun entry http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forever  #445079
von mwk (US), Last modified: 2009-07-10, 15:36  like dislike  Spam?  
And looking at my earlier suggestion, I now think that 'architecture for the forever' would work, but only if preceded by an explanation of what is meant by 'architecture.' For example, the catch phrase "The Acropolis: Architecture for the Forever" sounds pretty good to my ears.
The problem with "Architecture for the forever" with the phrase standing alone is that it could sound like a treatise on how to design very strong structures. The problem with "Architecture is forever" is that it makes no reference to a specific kind of architecture and simply states that there will always be an architecture of some kind or another.
Antwort: 
Thanks, mwk, and of course once more Catesse.  #445083
von Wuffke (DE), 2009-07-10, 15:41  like dislike  Spam?  
That makes a lot of sense. I hardly can use it even as a subtitle of the book, that's all decided already. And I'd love it at the end (the beginning of eternity), however, I can see the tricky bits after this discussion. I will try something, and then discuss it with my English editor in Brisbane. In case we'll find some extraordinary ending, I'll let you know, here in the forum. Thanks for your help, you all have a great feeling for language.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten