Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   SR   EO   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   CS   DA   PT   FI   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 can i use 'into being'? Thanks »
« Can somebody check the commas in this sentence,...    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
to pester or to badger  
von SqueezeboxAchim, 2009-07-16, 12:27  like dislike  Spam?  87.123.67....
They seem they have the same meaning..or is there a slight difference in using
Antwort: 
synonym gebraucht für "nerven", belästigen  #446434
von aila, 2009-07-16, 12:28  like dislike  Spam?  79.206.170....
Antwort: 
that is clear thx..but wasn't the question  #446435
von squeezeboxAchim (DE), 2009-07-16, 12:29  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
jaja  #446437
von aila, 2009-07-16, 12:31  like dislike  Spam?  79.206.170....
die Frage war, worin der Unterschied besteht. Die Antwort war: Synonym.
Antwort: 
so they have the same meaning and interchangeable..thx  #446439
von squeezeboxAchim (DE), 2009-07-16, 12:32  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
there are some instances where only one will do,  #446447
von Windfall (GB), Last modified: 2009-07-16, 12:50  like dislike  Spam?  
and there are tendencies towards different usage - although those tendencies might differ amongst speakers from different regions. A key example of when they aren't interchangeable is that kids are described as using "pester power" (never "badger power")  to get their parents to buy them things.

Both can mean repeatedly asking for something (trying to wear the other person down), but pestering doesn't have to be about asking for something. For instance, children can pester parents by seeking attention in an annoying fashion (the attention they get from the act being the end in itself), whereas badgering can't have getting immediate attention as an end in itself, it has to be for the other person to do or give something else.

I would be more likely to use "pester" to describe a child's behaviour, and more likely to describe "badger" to describe an adult's or teenager's (the latter probably involving less whining).
Antwort: 
thx for this splendid explanation.  #446463
von squeezeboxAchim (DE), 2009-07-16, 13:01  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
"to badger" is more aggressive and intentional.  It is used in court room language with the specific meaning of  #446470
von schwerblech (US), 2009-07-16, 13:12  like dislike  Spam?  
"aggressive questioning of a witness"  (it is not allowed).
Antwort: 
schwerblech  #446478
von Windfall (GB), 2009-07-16, 13:22  like dislike  Spam?  
I agree with your description of court room usage, but in GB usage,badger doesn't need to be aggressive (just with a strong aim in mind). I could badger my husband to put shelves up and it would just mean I was asking him repeatedly, no aggression implied. I think pester contains an element of "cause a nuisance of yourself" which badger doesn't, as if I pestered him to put shelves I think I would be causing a nuisance of myself (i.e. intentionally being a nuisance to him as part of a campaign to get the shelves up), but interestingly, I would see a pesterer as someone who had less power in a relationship than a badgerer. The sentence:

I badgered my husband to put the shelves up - causes me to think the shelves probably went up, but that the husband had been unwilling to put them up (at least as quickly as hoped for)
I pestered my husband to put the shelves up - causes me to think ultimately the decision on the shelves was up to the husband, and that the wife was resorting to nuisance tactics in an attempt to get her way, but had no real expectation that her husband would listen to her.

I suppose that explains my association of pester with children (who don't tend to have any real power in their relationships) and badger with adults (who do).

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten