Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   CS   DA   FI   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 When you make an electronic Paypal or Moneybook... »
« eigener Songtext von deutsch auf englisch    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Involvement with the Protestant parish of Hintertupfingen, e.g. with the trombone choir, the youth group and the volleyball team  
von Baccalaureus (DE), Last modified: 2009-07-24, 20:38  like dislike  Spam?  
Can I leave it as it is?
Antwort: 
suggestion:  #448723
von Christa (US), 2009-07-24, 20:58  like dislike  Spam?  74.181.94...
Actively involved in the Protestant parish of Hintertupfingen, e.g. trombone choir, youth group, and volleyball team
Antwort: 
Actively involved - das isses!  #448724
von Baccalaureus (DE), 2009-07-24, 21:02  like dislike  Spam?  
Danke, Christa!
Antwort: 
Trombone band rather than choir (just vocal).  #448725
von Lllama (GB/AT), Last modified: 2009-07-24, 21:03  like dislike  Spam?  
Is it important that it is Protestant? Personally, I would leave it out.
Antwort: 
In Germany, it is important. I'll ask the client whether or not he insists on it.  #448728
von Baccalaureus (DE), Last modified: 2009-07-24, 21:12  like dislike  Spam?  
However, "trombone choir" is listed in dict.cc and I think, in terms of church and religion, it is the terminus technicus...Google: "trombone choir"
Antwort: 
Ok, I'll accept choir, but it does seem to have a US bias -  #448729
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2009-07-24, 21:12  like dislike  Spam?  
Google: "trombone choir" site:uk

Protestant or not - as long as he's not sending it to Northern Ireland ;-)
Antwort: 
It is a very Lutheran thing, those trombone choirs,  #448731
von Baccalaureus (DE), 2009-07-24, 21:18  like dislike  Spam?  
so it is quite logical that the Anglicans, who are Catholics without a pope, but with married priests, don't really know it.
Antwort: 
Another query -  #448732
von Lllama (GB/AT), Last modified: 2009-07-24, 21:21  like dislike  Spam?  
Is it really a group of people playing only trombones or would brass ensemble be a better translation?
(I ask because Wikipedia(DE): Posaunenchor says it is used nowadays to also mean a mixed group - I can't imagine a group of trombones playing along to hymns, but perhaps I need more imagination.)

Edit: I was still writing this question while you posted the one above and not all British people are Anglicans you know ;-))
Antwort: 
I know. And, yes, originally it was four trombones playing especially funeral marches  #448735
von Baccalaureus (DE), 2009-07-24, 21:33  like dislike  Spam?  
nowadays, there are also other brass instruments in it. But it still is a distinct Protestant church thing... hmm... a brass ensemble, to me, plays different stuff - a trombone choir plays religious music, while a brass ensemble plays anything from Mozart to U2
Antwort: 
Thanks for answering - while you should obviously be doing something else,  #448737
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2009-07-24, 21:40  like dislike  Spam?  
I find these sort of differences really interesting.
Antwort: 
I should be doing something else?  #448739
von Baccalaureus (DE), 2009-07-24, 21:48  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
"Hintertupfingen" is not necessarily a real location - the name is often used as a metaphor for a backward place  #448741
von Kornelius (DE), 2009-07-24, 21:51  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
I thought perhaps you should be translating someone's CV ;-)  #448742
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2009-07-24, 21:53  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
Oh, well, yes - no, I'm done for today  #448743
von Baccalaureus (DE), 2009-07-24, 21:54  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
Watching heretics play volleyball must be great fun!  #448751
von Proteus, 2009-07-24, 22:26  like dislike  Spam?  91.115.90....
Antwort: 
You bet.  #448752
von Baccalaureus (DE), 2009-07-24, 22:33  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
Heretic volleyball - could be a Monty Python sketch, like this one: Youtube: ktYMkxD0Fzc  #448753
von Baccalaureus (DE), 2009-07-24, 22:40  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
Glad to see Queen Victoria I won.  #448759
von Proteus, 2009-07-24, 23:08  like dislike  Spam?  91.115.90....
Chat:     
Baccalaureus  #448802
von jim (GB), 2009-07-25, 10:01  like dislike  Spam?  
There is a lot more to Anglicanism than your caricature. It is essentially Lutheran, founded by Thomas Cranmer who came from working in Germany. It is a "Catholic" church, passing all the theological tests of catholicity, just not the Roman Catholic one. Like Rome it has a theology based on free will, not predestinarianism. It has never taken part in the rabidly anti-Roman Catholic sectarianism of Knoxian/Calvinist Presbyterianism in Scotland and Ulster. Many "Anglo-catholics" feel at ease in both churches. Visiting German Lutherans also feel very easy in Sunday services.
The Church of Rome has had married priests in former Yugoslavia for a thousand years, part of a deal with Constantinopolis. Celibacy is only a matter of church discipline not of theological truth. Married Anglican priests who jibbed at the priesthood of women were received into the Church of Rome, wives and al, and continue to excercise full priesthood. On the practical level, married priests don't tend to abuse children like "celibate" ones.
Any other questions?
Antwort: 
Ever read Newman's Apologia, jim?  http://www.newmanreader.org/works/apologia/index.html  #448816
von Proteus, 2009-07-25, 11:18  like dislike  Spam?  91.115.85....
Antwort: 
Proteus- Yes, I have a hardback copy. I've read it, too.  #448841
von jim (GB), 2009-07-25, 12:29  like dislike  Spam?  
He was a great man. Is it your point that re-reading it would supposedly (miraculously) cure me of delusions? I would like that very much. You simply have to guarantee that it would not swap current delusions for different ones. Our friend 4;goner is a student of Goedel's mathematics, he would recognise the nature of this question. There is no complete, axiomatisable and decidable system, nor can any finite number of additional axioms rectify this situation. One thing that I know for certain is that infallibility is not logically possible (another self-referential paradox).
Religion is not an excuse for not thinking. Honest debate is good and wholesome but I hate sectarianism in all its forms. Roman Catholics are generally warm, sincere, honest people who it is an honour to have as fellow citizens. (Actually, most people fall into this category.) All three Abrahamic religions carry a burden of  control freak hierarchs.playing inter-denominational politics and claiming a monopoly on truth. Newman's contemporary, Pope Pius IX (who discovered his own infallibility, so it must be right) exemplifies this sort.  
My turn: Have you read Foxe's Book of Martyrs? If not Google it or open <www.hrionline.ac.uk/johnfoxe/>
Antwort: 
My point, jim, was that Newman's Catholicism urged him to leave the Anglican Church. Other exponents of the Oxford Movement, however, stayed put.  #448896
von Proteus, 2009-07-25, 16:35  like dislike  Spam?  91.115.95....
Any persecution creates martyrs who bear bloody witness to their convictions. No denomination, no sect, no major left-wing, liberal or right-wing political affiliation is without martyrs - often scores of them.

Whatever the merits of martyrdom, millennia of it have failed to rid the world of heinous persecutions.

Having said that, I like to call a spade a spade and a heretic a heretic. At the same time, I affirm that any heretic or believer is entitled to his views as long as they exclude victimizing others who happen to disagree.

PS: Setting off RC and Anglican / Protestand martyrs against each other is a parlour game I despise.
Chat:     
Proteus  #448912
von jim (GB), 2009-07-25, 19:22  like dislike  Spam?  
I could not agree more with your last point- but I only asked you if you had read a book! Reading it explaIns how in 1588 England breathed again after the death of Mary I ('Bloody Mary') and the expulsion of Cardinal Pole and the Spanish Inquisition  Over half of all the recorded martyrdoms in England ever- defined as people dying for their faith- had occurred during a 5-year frenzy of burnings and torture in a futile attempt to unite England and Spain in crown, politics and religion. The resurrected Church of England was designed to be as inclusive as possible so that this never happened again, arguably saving thousands of lives. England united at once against the Flotilla Armada, never had the 30 Years' War nor the St Bartholomew's Day Massacre. Dynastic politics, civil war and the continued existence of a rival Royal house in Rome kept a few martyrdoms a year going for a while but the last was in 1680. Do not misunderstand me- every one of these was a tragic waste of a brave human being, but mainland Europe was a thousand times bloodier and no-one wanted this madness imported here again. The 'Young Pretender' Charles Edward Stuart invaded in 1745 confident that catholics would flock to his army- they did not, proving that they were trustworthy. Catholic emancipation began in 1780 and was complete by 1829, so Newman was pushing at an open door, Anyone who wanted to follow him could,do so without any civil penalty. Many did and do- their free choice.

This is very interesting "4;Proteus" - you have revealed an opinion, a little of yourself! I had come to believe that you were the false persona of the duty officer at Google marketing.

This forum is not the place for debate, but you can email me if you to continue this thread. I promise to keep your email address a secret.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten