Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   NL   HU   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   IS   ES   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 a gelled connection »
« ANN - American News Network    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
dense on boiling  
von Lisa4dict (US), 2009-08-05, 17:21  like dislike  Spam?  
I  just stumbled over a term in the "recently verified"  list.
to boil soft = weichkocken..  That sounds very unfamiliar to me and I was wondering how that was supposed to be used.  Maybe it is an AE/BE thing?  If I was about to boil an egg for example I'd say "I'm going to soft boil your egg."  I wouldn't say "I'll boil soft your egg."  I wouldn't "boil soft the potatoes".  I would "boil the potatoes till they're soft."  I bet I'm looking at this the wrong way.  Could s.o. enlighten me?
Antwort: 
I agree w/ Lisa4dict.; it should either be to soft boil sth.  or to boil until tender / soft  #451539
von schwerblech (US), Last modified: 2009-08-05, 19:47  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
Not so thick, Lisa - it's soft boiled / soft-boiled in general English  #451548
von Proteus, 2009-08-05, 19:57  like dislike  Spam?  91.115.82...
Antwort: 
too bad  #451580
von Lisa4dict (US), 2009-08-05, 22:55  like dislike  Spam?  
I had hoped that someone would come up with some wonderful phrase I hadn't considered.  Looks like that one's going back to the drawing board then.  Rather annoying when we have such a backlog to have to send recently cleared expressions back. :-((
4; Proteus soft boiled would be weichgekocht and it's already in dict. Correctly so if I may add.
Antwort: 
SOFT-BOILED  #451605
von farandaway (NZ), 2009-08-06, 01:55  like dislike  Spam?  121.73.75....
-- as the articulation of the private eye's view this is too runny even to be described as soft-boiled
Antwort: 
CULINARY REPERTOIRE -- HARD-BOILED  #451606
von farandaway (NZ), 2009-08-06, 02:02  like dislike  Spam?  121.73.75....
-- peanut-butter-and-pickle sandwiches and hot sliced hard-boiled egg with lots of mayonnaise and salt

HARDBOILED MUSCLES -- stomach muscles like hard-boiled eggs

HARD BOIL -- scrubbing and sweating over a hot copper, mother's reputation built on elbow grease and the long, hard boil

QUEEN BOILS -- Queen boils a kettle-documentaries (that's for the SUPER SOFT category!)
Antwort: 
Boil until soft  #451644
von Catesse (AU), 2009-08-06, 05:03  like dislike  Spam?  
Eggs, of course, are soft-boiled if cooked for a short time, and hard-boiled if cooked for a long time. A person can also be referred to as 'hard-boiled' but not, as far as I know, as 'soft-bolied'.
However, getting away from the imagery of eggs, certain vegetables and certain meat cuts have to be 'boiled until soft'.
Antwort: 
boiled sweets have gone out of fashion too, they were extremely hard, and i'm  #451660
von farandaway (NZ), 2009-08-06, 07:07  like dislike  Spam?  121.73.75....
reminded of the lenny bruce routine where he said "if i take this TOILET and BOIL IT it'll be a clean clean toilet and you can never crack a dirty toilet joke about it anymore" etc. anyway, you can't boil the toilet, except metaphorically -- & you don't boil the kettle eeither, just the water in it. boiling certainly seems to be something you do with WATER, involving, say, veges. if i pop some refractory gravy been into my electric frying pan i certainly am not going to boil it but STEW it till it's tender. und das ist es wohl auch, was weich KOCHEN meint, mit wasser weich kochen, oder mit polizeinmethoden jemanden geständig machen. in england sagt man auch "boil a pizza" -- aber dazu sage ich nur, sorry. wrong word.
r
Antwort: 
Who says boil a pizza?  #451748
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2009-08-06, 11:23  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
ring somebody back home and find out  ;-))  #451750
von farandaway (NZ), 2009-08-06, 11:27  like dislike  Spam?  121.73.75....
and i meant to be "gravy BEEF" not ---
Antwort: 
ring somebody back home and find out  ;-))  #451751
von farandaway (NZ), 2009-08-06, 11:28  like dislike  Spam?  121.73.75....
and i meant IT to be "gravy BEEF" not ---
Antwort: 
weichkochen  #452163
von Don (NZ/GB), 2009-08-07, 19:34  like dislike  Spam?  
I have suggested an alteration to the entry.
http://contribute.dict.cc/?action=edit&id=618745
I have already entered this, a few days ago -
http://contribute.dict.cc/?action=edit&id=918177&goback=2

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung