|   Alle Sprachen   
EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   SK   NL   PT   FI   LA   ES   HU   NO   BG   HR   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   SQ   EL   BS   |   FR   SK   IS   ES   NL   HU   RO   PL   SV   NO   RU   FI   SQ   IT   DA   CS   PT   HR   BG   LA   EO   SR   BS   TR   EL

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|New Website|About|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Damit ziehen Sie alle Blicke auf sich. »
« word missing in dixie ---gestaltbar, Gestaltbar...    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
farandaway, check this out: uncapitalized.net!  
von nour (AD), 2009-08-10, 08:53  like dislike  Spam?  
http://uncapitalized.net/

....you're not alone in the  world of uncapitalized letters  ;)...
Chat:     
Nour  #452669
von the-wrecker (DE), Last modified: 2009-08-10, 09:37  like dislike  Spam?  
Hallo Nour,

will mich mal hier eindrängen, da mir aufgefallen ist, daß Du Dich weiter unten so nett nach der Übersetzung meines 'Frankfodderisch' erkundigt hattest. Leider ist mir der Thread zu spät wieder ins Bild gekommen.Vielen Dank für Dein Interesse-und da Du ja längere Zeit in Hessen gewohnt hast, waren diese Worte für Dich wieder eine kleine Erinnerung an unser 'Hesseländche', vieleicht auch an den 'Äbbelwoi'und 'Ribbche mit Kraut'.Die 'Übersetzung' meiner Worte sind ja gut gelungen.Wünsche Dir weiterhin viel Freude hier im Forum.Noch einen schönen Tag-oder sollte ich lieber sagen 'eine gute Nacht' in Indien?Schön, daß man so rund um den Globus durch dieses Forum und durch die englische (manchmal auch deutsche oder sogar hessische!) Sprache so eng verbunden ist.
(Entschuldigung an farandaway)
Chat:     
the-wrecker  #452674
von nour (AD), Last modified: 2009-08-27, 10:49  like dislike  Spam?  
{...}
Chat:     
nice -- and now the secret. no man achieves greatness in any field unless he does so FOR A WOMAN  #452684
von farandaway (NZ), 2009-08-10, 10:45  like dislike  Spam?  121.73.75....
Chat:     
farandaway  #452688
von nour, 2009-08-10, 10:51  like dislike  Spam?  218.248.42....
hahaha :)....so that would be a MAN in my case? (I'm a female in case you didn't know).
Chat:     
well, i was speaking as a man, since i am a man. and i'm referring to woman as in lover,  #452707
von farandaway (NZ), 2009-08-10, 11:28  like dislike  Spam?  121.73.75....
wife, mother, sister -- for any number of reasons, love, pride, trying to impress. with women it goes the other way but SO MANY WOMEN put all their HERZBLUT into loser-type men every day and nothing happens, anyhow. it's like they're attaching TV aerials to toasters or vacuum cleaners, and wondering why their favourite programme ain't coming on. so you see, with women, it has to work a little different. and of course men hate to see the women by their side (in india -- an IHRER SEIDE) being successful. few people were as gracious as kennedy APPARENTLY was when he appeared in france and said he was the guy who came with jacqui. back home he made up for it by being randomly unfaithful. learning a language in a foreign country PERFECTLY means learning every word the man in that constellation is learning, TOO. keeping abreast, never falling behind.
Chat:     
Es gibt den weisen Spruch "Frauen lieben die wilden Stürmer, aber sie heiraten die sanften Belagerer"  #452710
von Baccalaureus (DE), Last modified: 2009-08-10, 11:35  like dislike  Spam?  
Nicht, daß ich dessen Wahrheit irgendeine Erfahrung zugrundelegen könnte...
Chat:     
far&away & Bacca  #452718
von nour, 2009-08-10, 11:48  like dislike  Spam?  218.248.42....
Well, my closest friends are all men...so I can relate to the above a bit. Any other (secret) English/German language improvement tips for me?? ;)

4;Bacca: ah marriage & relationships....now that's a topic I haven't managed to figure out :)
Chat:     
well, it's easy to come up with all sorts of XXX about men and women, marriage is prostitution, etc  #452732
von farandaway (NZ), 2009-08-10, 12:03  like dislike  Spam?  121.73.75....
it's all true and it's also crap. when it comes to language learning, the husband has all the professional contacts and the wife blathers with the neighbours about nothing in particular. the challenge here is to remain equally competent. i've known couples -- very unalike in their professions -- who spoke hindi, farsi, german, spanish, english --- all with the same level of fluency and competency, and their secret was total devotion and love.

technically you could do worse than buying SCORES of literature CDs and just learning them by heart. for your hessisch i would recommend frau strubbelisch und frau babbelisch oddä ajne von diesen familie hesselbach serien vom häsische runddfungg. und dann immä flajsisch anhöre undd middspräsche. gell?
Chat:     
far&away  #452737
von nour, 2009-08-10, 12:15  like dislike  Spam?  218.248.42....
haha..."the wife blathers with the neighbous about nothing in particular". Hope no feminist in here gets to read this otherwise they may really wish you were FAR & AWAY :). I ain't one 9a feminist that is), so no worries... :).

Scores of literature Cds you say? Hmmm, never thought about that. I'll keep that in mind. I need to figure out a fun way of improving my languages. Mind you, am doing this only for the fun of it so it has to be a pleasurable experience for me, not "hard studying". Mann lebt doch nur eenmal, gell? (assuming there is no reincarnation)
Chat:     
i imagine that's true, you live the once; so why NOT listen to a lot of great LIT?  #452745
von farandaway (NZ), 2009-08-10, 12:31  like dislike  Spam?  121.73.75....
you can't do it the next time round, or rather, somebody else will do it. it won't be you. the point here is not reading versus listening. but take a book like THE WALL //DIE WAND by the great and wonderful austrian writer marlen haushofer. so you've read it in english (published by some LESBIAN american publishing house, why? because a man gets shot at the very end. okay) then you read it in german, and finally you listen to it in two or three different AUDIO recordings. und bevor sie sichs versehen sprechen sie ein so perfektes deutsch -- leider. although it's an austrian book, the audio versions are all piefkenesisch --- but you COULD read JOSEFINE MUTZENBACHER and then listen to that wonderful audio version by the great austrian actress ULRIKE BEIMPOLT -- it's one of the great books of all time and the READING/AUDIO version is much superior to what you may be able to get from that book if you read it by yourself. a classic of picaresque lit, it will make you cry and laugh.
Chat:     
far&away: I'm so old, I read books.  #452760
von jim (GB), 2009-08-10, 12:49  like dislike  Spam?  
4;Nour: Read, watch and listen to humour in both languages and you will improve. They say you never forget.your very first date- Deglet Nour was mine. The great Ken Dodd was sceptical about reincarnation- what was the point in coming back as a tin of evaporated milk?  As the late Bob Monkhouse said: "They all laughed when I said that I would become a comedian- but they're not laughing now!" "Besten Witz des Tages" (Google it) may not always be funny but it is full of colloquial German.
As they say in the US: "Have a nice day" which translates as "Now bugger off."
Chat:     
farandaway, could you please stop SCREAMING around here?  #452763
von Baccalaureus (DE), 2009-08-10, 12:53  like dislike  Spam?  
It is considered being against the netiquette to arbitrarily write in uppercase. Please be so kind as to use the * ... * function in order to emphasize.
Chat:     
is that what they are? i thought they were air quotes  #452773
von farandaway (NZ), 2009-08-10, 13:03  like dislike  Spam?  121.73.75....
4; jim -- that's what a guy in a bookshop told me in vienna -- es sind nur noch die alten kacker wie sie die überhaupt noch bücher lesen. in this case, the lady asked me what was the secret of learning another language PERFECTLY and i replied read the book, then listen to the audio version till it comes out your ears. listening to half-baked comedians won't do anybody any good, and i wager you could listen to a whole CD of lenny bruce and not laugh once because as a brit with no yiddish and 50 years on you wouldn't know what the guy was talking about. as one young reviewer of a recent LB box issue commented, the guy may have been funny once, he wouldn't get to wait at tables today.
4; bacc -- i write BOOKS this way, i'm not going to change for you.
Chat:     
Und noch ein Selbstdarsteller...  #452775
von Baccalaureus (DE), 2009-08-10, 13:06  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
since i seem to be recommending literature, here's sthg for you: robert neumann, die  #452777
von farandaway (NZ), 2009-08-10, 13:12  like dislike  Spam?  121.73.75....
parodien. the man singlehandedly introduced a sense of humour to ALL of german literature, he may do wonders -- posthumously, at that -- for a single BACC.

... of course, ice is also nice and will suffice
Chat:     
WHAT?? nour, you're a woman??  #452791
von pierznj (AU), 2009-08-10, 13:33  like dislike  Spam?  
Why, this is doing my head in! Nein, das will mir überhaupt nicht in den Schädel! I have to tear down my whole conception of you and build it again from the ground floor...
Chat:     
Not ground floor, rather "base three"... ;-)  #452807
von Baccalaureus (DE), 2009-08-10, 13:46  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
No, bacca, from the ground floor...  #452817
von pierznj (AU), 2009-08-10, 13:55  like dislike  Spam?  
unless nour has unusually muscular, hairy legs.

No, I'm sorry, I just can't get used to thinking about nour like this. She's still halfway between genders, trying to make the crossing. Her voice is still kind of cracking in my head, like a choirboy at 13. Nour, you could've at least dropped a teeny weeny hint... :)
Chat:     
Since there once was an oriental queen called Nour, I knew from the very beginning...  #452822
von Baccalaureus (DE), 2009-08-10, 14:00  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
OK, so that was the hint. Alas it required a person of broader erudition than I...  #452825
von pierznj (AU), Last modified: 2009-08-10, 14:25  like dislike  Spam?  
I have no idea how I've managed to wander so long in the forest of error...
Chat:     
Far&away: you are clearly a very interesting fellow.  #452832
von jim (GB), 2009-08-10, 14:27  like dislike  Spam?  
You don't like books, nor people who read them, but you write them.
The Viennese bookseller didn't like his customers, but liked you for not liking books... and I thought an Austrian queer is a businessman who prefers women to money.
I would have thought Alfred E Neumann was more your sort of literature than Robert.
I agree that Lenny Bruce is unlikely to make me laugh. He is American. They have huge corporate committee systems just to remove all humour from comedy before it goes out.
Glad you have Yiddish- hope you love your mother too. Give the sheep a break. Oedipus, Schmoedipus, what does it matter.....?
Chat:     
*rofl*  #452834
von Baccalaureus (DE), 2009-08-10, 14:33  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
no, the viennese bookseller was pointing out that people under 40 don't READ anything  #452841
von farandaway (NZ), 2009-08-10, 14:47  like dislike  Spam?  121.73.75....
anymore. he was saying to me it's only old crocks like you that still buy and read books. i do, i read books, i write, and i also listen to spoken language and literature. i love the theatre, poetry, films, it's only natural that i would go for the SOUNDS of spoken language. i enjoy humour, and I GET both the american and british varieties, and i even get humour in a couple of other languages. i can do fair imitations of sea goon, but i also have a complete set including boots of the firesign theatre.

i am familiar with mad magazine, of course. i am familiar with a great many different kinds of comics and comic writers and artists. and so on and so forth. i do translations. in this or in any other context, i can happily do without "humorous" jibes or underhanded innuendo. i am not queer, i do not have erotic adventures with sheep, and my mother doesn't enter into it anywhere. there are enough nutters on this ship of fools already, just back off.
Chat:     
Farandaway, are you applying for a job here?  #452847
von Baccalaureus (DE), 2009-08-10, 14:58  like dislike  Spam?  
I hate it when people tell me how GREAT they are before I come to find that out by myself.
Chat:     
Oh dear. It's all good fun until somebody gets hurt...  #452851
von pierznj (AU), 2009-08-10, 15:07  like dislike  Spam?  
As I know from calling certain individuals "noise Nazis". Oh my God, the vituperation! Play nice kiddies...

BTW: "Rofl": it makes me think either of Rolf Harris, or of a dog trying to bark with a jaffa in its mouth.
Chat:     
sie sind doch der herr aus der theologischen bücherei, wenn ich das richtig mitgekriegt  #452854
von farandaway (NZ), 2009-08-10, 15:09  like dislike  Spam?  121.73.75....
habe? oder studienbibliothek. und zum glück ganz weit weg. dort suche ich mit sicherheit nach keinem job an. dieser ganze thread ging einzig darum, was das geheimnis ist, wie man eine andere sprache perfekt erlernt. ich sagte durch liebe, oft zu einem anderen menschen, aber natürlich überhaupt zu sprache und wie ich meine dem spürbaren, hörbaren, erlebbaren KLANG der sprache. ohne die stimme eines geliebten menschen -- kann auch ein schauspieler sein, der einem besonders gefällt -- kann ich mir nicht vorstellen, eine sprache selber sprechen zu wollen. ich spreche deutsch mit einem halben dutzend dialektfärbungen, weil ich 15 jahre in deutschland gelebt habe. und ich spreche deutsch mit ausländischen akzenten verschiedenster art. ja, ich erzähle ihnen das nicht, um sie zu beeindrucken. sondern nur, um ihnen zu erklären dass mir das SPIEL mit der sprache und ihren klängen immer schon wichtig war. ich bin kein philologe und kein akademiker, und auch IHRE persönlichen angriffe brauche ich nicht.
Chat:     
No need to call me "Sie" (and if, in uppercase, please) - neither have I attacked you personally.  #452879
von Baccalaureus (DE), 2009-08-10, 15:37  like dislike  Spam?  
Also I haven't seen any point at all in this particular thread...
Chat:     
ich duze nun mal leute nicht anonym, die ich gar nicht kenne und sieze sogar leute die  #452894
von farandaway (NZ), 2009-08-10, 15:53  like dislike  Spam?  121.73.75....
ich schon seit jahren kenne -- amerikanisches du -- "Sie, vorname". der deutsche stil der ad hominem attacke ist natürlich SOO verbreitet, dass die leute sich schon fast ganz selbstverständlich als "AB" titulieren und nachher meinen, sie hätten doch eine ganz sachliche diskussion geführt. da sie ja altphilologe sind, dürfte ihnen der begriff verständlich sein. man beginnt ein gespräch etwa mit der formel "du dummer hund", und versucht im weiteren verlauf den gegenüber zur minna zu machen. ich denke, ein auslandsaufenthalt könnte ihnen einmal gut tun, sechs monate in einem demokratischen land. sie könnten auch einmal die leserbriefe in einer beliebigen deutschen gazette studieren, ob es EINMAL einen brief gibt, der nur einen freundlichen oder humorigen beitrag zum thema liefert. sehn sie mal hinauf, sie attackieren mich persönlich -- man kann sagen -- "ohne grund". MEHRFACH. aber dann drehen sie sich um, wie ein schuljunge, der seinen vordermann mit dem bleistift gepiekst hat, und sagen "nööö aber ICH doch nicht."

sie glauben, das sind lässliche sünden, die ihnen der herr am sonntag wieder verzeiht? ich nicht.
Chat:     
Frage an die Allgemeinheit: Hat er recht?  #452910
von Baccalaureus (DE), 2009-08-10, 16:10  like dislike  Spam?  
Ich kann mich an kein "Du dummer Hund" erinnern, und sehe auch keines in meinen Postings. Sollte ich wirklich eine ganz persönliche Attacke geführt haben, tut mir das leid und ich entschuldige mich dafür. Und ich habe mein ganzes Leben in einem demokratischen Lande verbracht, danke der Nachfrage. Und offensichtlich gehen unser beider Ansichten über Humor sehr weit auseinander...
Chat:     
well, it's the same old story, but it still is news, you start out doing the tango but you  #452921
von farandaway (NZ), 2009-08-10, 16:37  like dislike  Spam?  121.73.75....
wind up with the blues.

liest man die geschichte von oben bis unten fängt alles ganz beschaulich an und dann kommt irgendeiner daher und knurrt einen an.

die ganze seite könnte man eigentlich in ein deutsches lesebuch geben, mit gezielten lernfragen wie: "was meinen sie versteht baccalaureus unter 'leben in einem demokratischen lande' ?" oder "welches lande  könnte faraday meinen, wenn er von 'sechs monate in einem demokratischen land' spricht? (a)  die ddr (b) island (c) pakistan (d) keins von beiden?"

usw.
Chat:     
Yes, we have probably overdone the "mobbing"  #452935
von jim (GB), 2009-08-10, 17:01  like dislike  Spam?  
There is a hint of machine translation about our new friend that has aroused suspicion- the "Firesign Theatre" might be the Beacon Theatre after it has been changed to "Feuerzeichen" and back, But he does have its boots, after all. .
4;Far&away: Sorry if I/we have offended you (although I am led to believe that real New Zealanders are long used to sheep jokes). This is an open forum: if you want to answer questions, or to ask them, please continue to do so as far as I am concerned. If you wish to be contentious, you are now aware that you will get as good as you give. Welcome
Chat:     
everybody: HAAAAAALLLLLTTTT :)) - yes that is me screaming! :)  #452939
von nour, 2009-08-10, 17:06  like dislike  Spam?  218.248.42....
Wow! Looks like a lot happened to this thread during my absence!! Chill out people! :)

4; far&away: Btw, you replied to my "secret" question in here, though I had asked it in another thread so I guess that's why it wasn't clear to the other users (ex Bacca) what this discussion was all about :).

4; Bacca: I don't perceive a word written LIKE THIS IN ALL CAPS LETTERS as "screaming" at all btw  :). It's a part of my usual "writing style"...as I said yesterday, seems like everything is just a matter of perception. Interesting, interesting...how the same thing can be perceived in such different ways...

4; Pierz: YES,  I belong to the female category, sorry! ;)...and yes, I do have muscular legs haha....but NO, they are not hairy at all (a bit unusual for an Arabic woman to be honest hehe, guess I inherited the "right" non-hairy genes).

I thought it was clear that there was a woman behind this screen of mine due to my nickname (well there are a few men out there called "nour" too actually but that's more of an exception). Not sure why you thought it was a man, I shall take it as a COMPLIMENT though! ;).....since I always wanted to be a man...sniff :(.

...I have quite a feminine voice too btw ;).
Chat:     
everybody....one more thing....  #452949
von nour, 2009-08-10, 17:17  like dislike  Spam?  218.248.42....
"Love thy neighbor" said the great Jesus...doesn''t that include your dict.cc (virtual) neighbor too? So take it easy on farandaway pls...he's "far&away" anyway :). I wouldn't mind having him "here&near" though :).

We could all have a bit more FUN (no, I'm NOT screaming Bacca haha) in here if we would all take things a
bit LESS seriously I feel...Now, what say you all??? Hm??? We need to get rid of the seriousness bug that's infected too many people, not just in dict.cc but on planet earth in general. The Little Prince was sooo right...

A bit of SENSE OF HUMOUR is all it takes. "A bita of sens a humour" as the Italians say :).
Chat:     
oh, he's a translation machine, we've never heard of the GOONS! and what about this ODD  #452953
von farandaway (NZ), 2009-08-10, 17:21  like dislike  Spam?  121.73.75....
firesign (BEACON???) theatre. one pop over to wiki

Wikipedia(EN): The_Firesign_Theatre

would have told you everything. the word boots is short for BOOTLEG (records) -- surely the same in the UK.

ETC BLAH

so to make my point in all this one more time: whatever gets you through the night. it's all right
Chat:     
far&away  #452969
von nour, 2009-08-10, 17:50  like dislike  Spam?  218.248.42....
WHAT are you talking about?? Pls clarify :)
Chat:     
nour: now don't you go getting offended!  #453041
von Pierznj, 2009-08-11, 00:33  like dislike  Spam?  114.76.82....
I guess I just arbitrarily started with the idea that you were a guy (no reason), not knowing about the queen thingy with the nick, and nothing you said forced me to change my idea, until of course you said "I am a female", which even I could not misunderstand... :) Well at least you know I haven't been nice to you for your smooth, if muscular legs :) Although now I know about them, you'll never quite be sure about it again ;) BTW, you may be glad to know that in the night and I slept you successfully crossed to the far shores of femininity, your voice achieved an unbroken upper register, and the hair vanished from your upper lip. I've decided it's a very positive transformation... I like you this way... O :-) (notice the halo). You know I'm a woman too, right? Kidding.

4;everyone else: yeah guys, chill already, you heard the lady! I have no idea any more what any of you are  talking about, but I'm pretty sure references to sheep sex are uncalled for. The joke is so tired. Anyway, once someone gets offended and retaliates, people who might actually quite get along end up being enduring forum-enemies, which is sad. bacca, not quite sure what constitutes a personal attack, but you did accuse him of big noting himself. Actually, you know what? I think Ill shut right up and let you guys sort it out... :)
Chat:     
hi nour, i was referring to jim's posting further up, explaining that much as the GOONS  #453044
von farandaway (NZ), 2009-08-11, 00:35  like dislike  Spam?  121.73.75....
were a famous and long-standing comedy troupe in the UK, the firesign theatre, properly so named, were a kind  of latterday US equivalent available on regular LP records and even on bootlegs. as jim appears to be fond of british comedy -- and i go back to the clitheroe kid -- i was merely pointing out to him that there is definitely such a thing as a worthwhile american tradition as well. jokes about new zealanders' sexual predilection for sheep are probably as amusing as the usual jokes about brits all being gay -- or the irish being naturally daft. the french still love to have jokes about blacks mumbling incomprehensibly because of their fat lips. oh and the germans get lambasted with hitler jokes all the livelong day. in austria they get made fun of in other ways. german tourist in the tyrol, heavy prussian accent: könnse ma eben mal n paar eier abtreten? BOOM -- high castrato voice: aua aber doch nicht sooo.
Chat:     
Good one! And I thought it was the Lederhosen.  #453052
von jim (GB), 2009-08-11, 04:05  like dislike  Spam?  
Stereotype jokes are a world-wide phenomenon. For example every nation has a region notorious for alleged meanness- Aberdonians (GB), Ostfrieslanders (de), Bretons (F). English  "Essex girl" jokes translate into de as "Blondin" jokes. Nowadays such jokes are generally less unfair and brutal - thus funnier- than they were but the tradition continues and probably always will.  
During the famous era of Irish jokes, the good ones did not make our Paddy friends out to be plain stupid, but imputed a highly far-fetched simplistic wrong-headedness of heroic proportions (e.g. Q: How do you sink an Irish submarine? A: Knock on the door and shout "Fire!") You never hear them any more.
I also haven't heard Nazi jokes about Germans for years, apart from the immortal John Cleese "Fawlty Towers" sketch. When Chancellor Schmidt lost office, it was remarked that the Germans had turned their helmut upside down and filled it with Kohl.
My original point, which I stick to, is that if you wish to polish your grasp of another language (or even your own) and avoid falling into unwanted traps the study of  jokes is a very good way to do so.
Chat:     
jokes don't travel. germans don't, as a rule, have a sense of humour at all, so very often  #453055
von farandaway (NZ), 2009-08-11, 04:16  like dislike  Spam?  121.73.75....
they borrow stuff like salzia landmann's jewish jokes and tell each other those simply by referring to "joke number 48 ha haha".

most of the time they don't "get" the middle bit.

in terms of being a helpful aid to language learning, jokes are a dead loss. you spend more time explaining the joke than laughing about.

it always ends with a "ha ha, that's very funny i'm sure. in YOUR country."

anyway, here's one more for you.

>A New Zealander, a sheep, and a dog were survivors of a
> terrible shipwreck.
> They found themselves stranded on a desert island. After being
> there a while, they got into the habit of going to the beach
> every evening to watch the sun go down.
> One particular evening, the sky was red with beautiful cirrus
> clouds, the breeze was warm and gentle; a perfect night for
> romance.
> As they sat there, the sheep started looking better and
> better to the New Zealander.
> Soon, he leaned over to the sheep and put his arm around it.
> But the dog got jealous, growling fiercely until the New
> Zealander took his arm from around the sheep.
> After that, the three of them continued to enjoy the sunsets
> together, but there was no more cuddling.
> A few weeks passed by, and lo and behold, there was another
> shipwreck.
> The only survivor was a beautiful young woman, the most
> beautiful woman the New Zealander had ever seen.
> She was in a pretty bad way when they rescued her, and they
> slowly nursed her back to health.
> When the young maiden was well enough, they introduced her to their
> evening
> beach ritual.
> It was another beautiful evening: red sky, cirrus clouds, a
> warm and  gentle breeze; perfect for a night of romance.
> Pretty soon, the New Zealander started to get "those feelings"
> again.  He fought them as long as he could, but he finally
> gave in and leaned over to the young woman, cautiously, and
> whispered in her ear...
> "Would you mind taking the dog for a walk?"
Chat:     
...than laughing about it  #453056
von farandaway (NZ), 2009-08-11, 04:18  like dislike  Spam?  121.73.75....
Chat:     
Huh? Can you explain that bit in the middle after the dog got jealous... :)  #453058
von pierznj (AU), 2009-08-11, 04:31  like dislike  Spam?  
Actually that was quite funny.

A man walks into a bar (of course), and on the bar there's a little guy, only a foot tall, playing the piano.(heard this one?) Said man is amazed and asks the barman, "Where'd you find this little dude? He's amazing!" Barman says, "Well actually..." and he produces some kind of spooky-looking ancient amulet from under the bar. Rub this, he explains, and you can wish for whatever you want. The man is naturally excited at this information and of course he asks to borrow it for a moment. The barman shrugs, sure, whatever, and the bloke rushes off to the toilet with it. Shortly thereafter, there's a cacophony. Man bursts out of the toilet, pursued by a huge flock of ducks! He says to the barman, "What the hell is the matter with this thing?? I asked for a million BUCKS!" Barman replies: "Well what the hell did you expect? You think I asked for a twelve inch pianist?"
Chat:     
i get it, ha ha ha. the amulet is so old it is hard of hearing, yah?  #453059
von farandaway (NZ), 2009-08-11, 04:43  like dislike  Spam?  121.73.75....
Dr. Leroy, the head psychiatrist at the local mental hospital, is examining
patients to see if they're cured and ready to re-enter society.

"So, Mr. Clark," the doctor says to one of his patients, "I see by your
chart that you've been recommended for dismissal. Do you have any idea what
you might do once you're released?"

The patient thinks for a moment, then replies, "Well, I went to school for
mechanical engineering. That's still a good field, good money there. But on
the other hand, I thought I might write a book about my experience here in
the hospital, what it's like to be a patient here. People might be
interested in reading a book like that. In addition, I thought I might go
back to college and study art history, which I've grown interested in
lately."

Dr. Leroy nods and says, "Yes, those all sound like intriguing
possibilities."

The patient replies, "And the best part is, in my spare time, I can go on
being a teapot."
Chat:     
Ha! Das ist doch komisch! The guy was going to study art history and he was a TEAPOT! A teapot studying art history!  #453062
von pierznj (AU), 2009-08-11, 05:39  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
well, sir, what's so funny about THAT? lookit this twelve inch ART tea pot, & YOU have the 12 inch piano player!  #453063
von farandaway (NZ), 2009-08-11, 05:58  like dislike  Spam?  121.73.75....
it's all perfectly NORMAL. i just don't understand the man with the million ducks. he wanted a million dollars? why did he go to the toilet to make his wish? he could have gone to the nearest bank.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://fineartamerica.com/...
Chat:     
everybody...  #453069
von nour, 2009-08-11, 08:25  like dislike  Spam?  218.248.42....
Good morning everybody!! :)

This sure has turned into a LONG thread, shall we attempt to break the dict.cc longest thread record? :).

Haha, good jokes :). Well, I have to admit (no offense!) that (almost) no one understood my ("international") sense of humour when I moved to Germany many years ago...it was hilarious: you'd either see me laughing on my own 'cause I thought something was really funny but no one else seemed to "get it" or a group of German people all laughing & me thinking "?????" (as in "did I miss out on something here??")...'cause I just couldn't get the (typical German) joke ;). I do get the Indian sense of humour though, thank god!

Anyhow, good to see a few jokes in here & a bit of a less "serious" atmosphere ;).

Believe it or not, I've only READ books so far, I've actually never listened to an audio CD of a book. So, I shall take your word of advice seriously far&away and experiment with listening to one....let's see if that'll help me in improving my English/German. Will also experiment & see if studying jokes could be helpful too, jim! ;) Am always open to suggestions....the more creative & fun or "crazy"...the better! :).

4;far&away: I see. Have never heard of this comedy show/group, will check them out. Btw, I am very interested in comics too, like Asterix for ex. :)....& love the silent animated Pixar movies. Anything creative..

4; pierz: Haha....now I shall never know why you're treating me the way you do, hmm?? :) Ah, the disadvantages of being a female...countless :).

"now don't you go getting offended!".....haha, my dear pierz, thou hast surely not offended me, as I said, I've taken it as a COMPLIMENT ;). It is actually EXTREMELY difficult for anyone to offend me. Seriously :). It's a matter of choice I guess,....I don't want anyone or anything to bother me so I choose not to get bothered but accept it all - even if I do not nec. agree, now that's a different matter altogether.

Have a great day everybody! I'm gonna go & take our dog for a walk now ;)
Chat:     
well, you can get the firesign theatre easily enough on you tube. this is how they dubbed an  #453071
von farandaway (NZ), 2009-08-11, 08:43  like dislike  Spam?  121.73.75....
old sequence of a movie matinee series, for fun

Youtube: zgm9H3hmH1o

if you don't want to listen to LONG pieces of stuff, max goldt is great. you can pop in one of his CDs -- DER KRAPFEN AUF DEM SIMS or DIE LEGENDÄRE RADIOTRINKERIN or  DIE MAJESTÄTISCHE RUHE DES ANO

then listen to each sehment, which may be about 3 to 8 minutes long on REPEAT until you've understood most of it and then move on to the next bit. you only need to do this ONCE, seriously, after that you just play SUBAURALLY, like the radio noodling away in the background. once you find that you're using max goldt phrases in conversation, you move on to something else. three years down the road people will compli-ment you on your german. ACH SIE HABEN ABER AUSGEZEICHNET DEUTSCH GELERNT: WO; WO HABEN SIE DAS GELERNT?? IN I N D I E N????? SIE KLING JA DIREKTEMANG SO ALS WÄREN SIE EBENT ERST AUS BERLIN HIER EINJETROFFEN???

leider auf you tube nicht so viel try this one with headphones

Youtube: nc33CIJaPz4
Chat:     
farandaway: thanks, shall do so tonight for sure!  #453079
von nour, 2009-08-11, 09:19  like dislike  Spam?  218.248.42....
"duty" calls :).

well, I hate to call it "duty" 'cause my work is my passion so it neither feels like it's work nor like it's a duty....
so let me re-phrase this: "passion calls"! :)

ps: haha, I like your sense of humour :). *ACH SIE HABEN ABER AUSGEZEICHNET DEUTSCH GELERNT: WO; WO HABEN SIE DAS GELERNT?? IN I N D I E N????? * mind you, there is NOTHING you can't learn in this mind-blowing country we refer to as INDIA....ABSOLUTELY NOTHING (worthwhile that is). you can even learn how to write like this...& sneak into the faraway world of uncapitalized letters....
Chat:     
a propos patrick süskind & parfüm:  es gibt den deutschen bestseller autoren stefan zweig  #453097
von farandaway (NZ), 2009-08-11, 10:52  like dislike  Spam?  121.73.75....
es gibt alles von ihm auf englisch. seine bücher sind kurz. und sie sind meistens TOTAL spannend. süskind hat viel bei ihm gelernt, aber zweig ist noch eine spur besser. und dann gibt es die bücher auch noch auf deutsch.
Chat:     
farandaway: I simply have to ask.....  #453124
von jim (GB), 2009-08-11, 11:43  like dislike  Spam?  
...why you eschew conventional capitalisation and punctuation? It is not as though you are 'shiftless', because you sometimes shout at us in capitals. It is clearly a matter of choice, not lack of education.
Most of the users of this forum sell their product, and their customers expect it to be decent and grammatical in all respects. As a book translator into English I try to capture the distinctive voice and style of the author(in) whilst remaining technically correct. In my previous working life I had to generate reports and publicity material in appropriate business and bureaucratic language, not my own style, and I am sure that everyone reading this has had a similar experience.
Is this "faraway world" of uncapitalised letters some sort of homage to ee cummings? Or what?
Chat:     
great poet, cummings. then again, brecht i 1942. i start non cap too. german and english  #453136
von farandaway (NZ), 2009-08-11, 12:11  like dislike  Spam?  121.73.75....
brecht, arbeitsjournal. like the fall of the wall, caps will crumble, unexpected, soon. get used to 'em.

immer wieder staune ich über die primitivität des filmbaus. Diese „technik“ kommt mit einem erstaunlichen minimum an erfindung, intelligenz, humor und interesse aus. Man klettert von situation zu situation und setzt beliebige figuren ein. Es wird damit gerechnet, daß die schauspieler nicht spielen und die zuschauer nicht denken können.
Chat:     
OK  #453157
von jim (GB), 2009-08-11, 12:49  like dislike  Spam?  
I can admire a man who marches to a different drum. Are you totally uncompromising 24/7 or do you conform where work is concerned? Or official forms? Or your mum? Exams?
You retain the apostrophe (') however. I dislike this, the last and only diacritical in the English language, misused as often as it is correctly used. Its use to show an omission such as the missing "a" in "I'm" does not obviate any ambiguities, and in the genitive it is just quaint. To include one in "Bill's trousers" to indicate the omission of  "se" in the once grammatically correct pre-Shakespearian form "Billses trousers" is doof. It is Gollum-speak. There is a bit of a serious movement to give up this mark- where do you stand on this?
Chat:     
of course not, i believe in british spelling, aluminium not aluminum and all that. when it  #453159
von farandaway (NZ), 2009-08-11, 13:07  like dislike  Spam?  121.73.75....
comes to german spelling i feel the reform has not gone far enough. they replaced daß with dass but left beißhemmung in place. i don't care they could have kreisssaalsalataardvarkkanapee. all sans caps. of course any minor mistake i see in some else's writing instantly gets my hackles up. the difference i guess is in BEING illiterate and knowing you're not. friend of mine goes into a stationery shop & asks one of the girls there: so you're getting into selling real estate now? HUH? i see you're selling DAIRIES now... ( are they amused?) (no they're not.) people insist on being illiterate and not being able to spell. that's different from typing with just one hand. i used to need the other hand for holding my smoke.
Chat:     
far&away  #453241
von nour, 2009-08-11, 18:10  like dislike  Spam?  218.248.42....
wow...i didn't know that brecht used to write like this...and e e cummings too! very interesting indeed...

now since i really do NOT have the time to listen to many different audio books, which one of the above-mentioned would you suggest i listen to first btw??

oki doks, ....good night my dear far&away, time to jump into bed here ;). We shall continue this discussion for sure.
Chat:     
Brecht schrieb ohne Kapitalien?  #453279
von Pierznj, 2009-08-11, 20:16  like dislike  Spam?  114.76.82....
Na, Cummings ist eins, aber das wusste ich nicht. Brecht hat auch (wie alle Marxisten) an das bevorstehende Ableben des KAPITALISMUS geglaubt, nicht wahr, was sich so, wie ich die Sache sehe, genausowenig abzeichnet wie das Ende der KAPITALISIERUNG, ungeachtet des GFCs...
Chat:     
Kapitalien=Grossbuchstaben in my aberrant brain space at 4am. Sorry... :)  #453280
von Pierznj, 2009-08-11, 20:21  like dislike  Spam?  114.76.82....
Chat:     
amusing idea  #453299
von farandaway (NZ), 2009-08-11, 22:36  like dislike  Spam?  121.73.75....
Chat:     
No answer to my questions, then  #453338
von jim (GB), 2009-08-12, 00:23  like dislike  Spam?  
Is your cv 100% uncapitalised? And how many interviews has it got you if it is? Who buys your output? Who hires you? Or if you hire people, do they have to conform to your idiosyncratic rules before you pay them?
These are not irrelevant or unfair questions: if your system is any good it should be keeping you. If you are just buggering us about, and normally write capitals like everyone else, come clean and admit it.
Chat:     
(yawn) but listen. i haven't written a CV, not really, for anyone, in over ---um--- 30 yrs  #453342
von farandaway (NZ), 2009-08-12, 00:34  like dislike  Spam?  121.73.75....
i did have a paid job, once, in austria, for exactly 4 days, which buggered up my insurance and everything for months. i got paid 176. 37 euros after tax, but did make 250 writing about the experience. of course nobody buys stuff written in internetese, even the word INTERNET has to be capitalised. the goddess of the dub dub dub. so as far as i'm concerned, i don't write for money HERE, and i don't get paid. you want to pay me, i'll capitalise. at least most of the time, though, i actually spell stuff correctly, and even my english is okay, cos it's me native tongue, mate. filtered through a kind of teutonic sieve, of course. so what else can i do you for today?
Chat:     
nour-------------  #454564
von farandaway (NZ), 2009-08-16, 04:03  like dislike  Spam?  121.73.75....
Chat:     
far&away  #454572
von nour **in a very reflective mood**, 2009-08-16, 08:09  like dislike  Spam?  218.248.42....
Oh DANKE far&away!!!!!

Ich habe diese tolle Geschichte in der 7.Klasse gelesen & habe sie einfach NICHT vergessen koennen (den Namen des wunderbaren Autors allerdings schon, wie du ja schon weisst haha)....sie hat mich damals sehr
TIEF beeindruckt & tut es immer noch...

Peter Bichsel manages to express soooo much with just a few simple words...

I think we're more or less on the same wavelength far&away ;). Not easy being a bit "different" in this world (forum), now is it? :)

But we shall somehow find our niche in here I hope? If not, I shall move to far&away lands too ;).

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2024 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung