|   Alle Sprachen   
EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   SK   NL   PT   FI   LA   ES   HU   NO   BG   HR   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   SQ   EL   BS   |   FR   SK   IS   ES   NL   HU   RO   PL   SV   NO   RU   FI   SQ   IT   DA   CS   PT   HR   BG   LA   EO   SR   BS   TR   EL

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|New Website|About|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Fanbrief an UhHuhHer »
« den kopf neigen    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Notch in the belt  
von pierznj, 2009-09-02, 03:28  like dislike  Spam?  125.7.37....
Kerbe im/am Gürtel? Sie googeln nicht besonders gut, aber es gibt Beispiele von beiden. Ich nehme an, man versteht was damit gemeint ist - also wenn (normalerweise) ein Mann eine Frau als sexuelle 'Eroberung' betrachtet, wird sie etwa zu einer »Kerbe in seinem Gürtel«. Ist der Ausdruck bekannt im Deutschen?
Chat:     
Notch  #459195
von Catesse (AU), 2009-09-02, 04:53  like dislike  Spam?  
'Notch in the belt' can refer to losing of gaining weight. (taking in or letting out)
Context needed. (But maybe not too much of it.)
Antwort: 
No context. I'm just wondering about this specific phrase, in the sense above.  #459201
von pierznj, 2009-09-02, 08:20  like dislike  Spam?  125.7.37....
The google references to "Kerbe im/am Gürtel" also appear to be using it in this sense. Of course, it isn't always used in the sense of a sexual conquest. It could be any "notching up" of successes.
Antwort: 
We make a notch in the bed post in Germany  #459203
von Trubx, 2009-09-02, 08:31  like dislike  Spam?  192.131.117...
In Bezug auf die sexuelle Eroberung macht man im Deutschen allerdings "eine Kerbe im Bettpfosten"....
Antwort: 
Notches  #459204
von Catesse (AU), 2009-09-02, 08:34  like dislike  Spam?  
I've heard the expression mainly as 'pulling in (or letting out) the belt another notch', with reference to losing or gaining weight. Also 'pulling the belt in a notch' if you have to make economies owing to loss of job or lowered income.
Or of snipers cutting a notch in their rifle butts for every man they killed. (In the days when weapons had wooden butts.)
I think it could be used in the sense you suggest, although the aim of some men would then be to have very little belt left. Quite odd.
Antwort: 
Thanks trubx - next time I pass a German bed, I'll watch out for notches ;)  #459215
von pierznj, 2009-09-02, 09:34  like dislike  Spam?  125.7.37....
4;Catesse: funny you never heard it. It's the same ideas as the sniper. In fact, I think it comes from the wild west idea of cutting a notch in your belt when you killed a man. As for having no belt left, you don't cut right through, silly! And the notches are different to the holes you secure the belt with, so different to bringing in one's belt a notch. Not that I personally cut notches or anything, so I wouldn't know, I'm merely surmising :)

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2024 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung