Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   NL   HU   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   IS   ES   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Russian - russländisch »
« you have everything I'd ever need, but you can'...    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
"Can such things be?" (Ambrose Bierce):   N. Mailer et al. use words that do not exist.  
von thornyard (DE), 2009-09-06, 17:12  like dislike  Spam?  
In October 1993 I read  Norman Mailer's THE NAKED AND THE DEAD.  I came across the word "lassitudinous", did  not find it    in my Two Vol.  Muret -Sanders Langenscheidt, yet, made a respective note. My yesterday's  entry in the dictionary section has not received a vote so far.  Before I submitted it, though, I had checked PONS etc. and had not found that adjektive there either.
Somewhat "disquieted" , I checked my Latin dictionaries a moment ago and only found the well known noun "lassitudo" that  corresponds perfectly with the English noun "lassitude" based on it.
Here , at last, ist my question: Mr. Mailer is not a Nobody,and " lassitudinous" does not give the impression of a neologism coined by an extravagant experimenter with language. Still ,it seems to be sort of a linguistic  Flying Dutchman, as it were. Or is it simply a blunder of Mailer's, given that he is not exactly high-brow? .Has anybody made similar experiences ?
Antwort: 
Mailer's neologism  #460178
von Dwight (US), Last modified: 2009-09-06, 17:29  like dislike  Spam?  
Not a recognized word, but a coinage that a well-read person (anyone familiar with the word "lassitude") would readily understand
Antwort: 
One of those things - were Aeschylus, Virgil / Vergil, Dante, Shakespeare or Calderón highbrow?  #460183
von Proteus, 2009-09-06, 17:49  like dislike  Spam?  91.115.86...
Agree with Dwight. Good authors often create or popularize words before they make it into respectable dictionaries.
Antwort: 
One of those things contd.  #460214
von thornyard (DE), 2009-09-06, 20:50  like dislike  Spam?  
Mailer's  THE NAKED AND THE DEAD (my source for "lassitudinous") was published fifty years ago.
As I mentioned above, this ominous adjective is still not included in any of the sources accepted here at dict.cc.
Obviously, no "respectable dictionary" wants to break the ice and be the first to commit such a sacrilege, because this would mean  "correcting" the Ancient Romans who might have had their reasons for not coining the respective lassitudo-based adjective themselves.    [grin] .
Chat:     
Just enjoy the invention.  #460231
von mwk (US), 2009-09-07, 02:52  like dislike  Spam?  
Fernand Léger is said to have commented about a Picasso painting: "Three eyes and two mouths, this is Spanish torture and not French art!" The statement says more about Léger than it does about Picasso... :-)
Antwort: 
thorn, you done well. you wrote the word down  & fifty years on, you still remember it.  #460235
von farandaway (NZ), 2009-09-07, 03:23  like dislike  Spam?  121.73.75....
Antwort: 
farandaway, Kopfrechnen schwach. 2009 - 1993 = 16.  :-)  #460238
von mwk (US), 2009-09-07, 03:32  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
oh ja; mailer war 25, als er das buch schrieb oder veröffentlichte, und der film erschien  #460240
von farandaway (NZ), 2009-09-07, 03:40  like dislike  Spam?  121.73.75....
ca 1953, aber der beitragende hat das buch erst 1993 gelesen, das ist alles ZUU kompliziert. aber es ist gut, er hat es sich seit damals bis heute gemerkt.  vielleicht auch in weiteren 34 jahren, dann sind es 50, wird er sagen: ich habe damals lassitudinous bei norman mailer entdeckt, und von 1953 bis 1993 erschien das wort nie in einem wörterbuch. erst als ich diesen fakt 2009 publik machte, erschien es endlich 2013 in allen wörterbüchern, und schau lieber enkel -- hier steht es jetzt auch in webster's in der neuen hologramm version von 2043!
Antwort: 
1953 war FROM HERE TO ETERNITY; NAKED AND THE DEAD, 58. das BUCH, 48, Mailer, 25  #460241
von farandaway (NZ), 2009-09-07, 03:48  like dislike  Spam?  121.73.75....
Chat:     
LOL, all right already with the numbers! I think you'd enjoy this brief excerpt from a Charlie Rose - Norman Mailer conversation.  #460242
von mwk (US), Last modified: 2009-09-07, 04:24  like dislike  Spam?  
In particular, how Mailer talks about the voice who writes the story ("you're never yourself"). The novel he's talking about is "The Castle in the Forest."
Youtube: 8s5_ikLAnLg
Antwort: 
it's a snippet, but maybe an important little thing to know; writers are actors, they use a  #460244
von farandaway (NZ), 2009-09-07, 05:17  like dislike  Spam?  121.73.75....
voice, they need an enabling form, just like actors need a funny hat or a mustache to do their bit.

meanwhile lassitudinousness googles up a half dozen times, you may wish to use it in your next business communication or love letter, give it some friction, currency, what's the fantasy word we need here? rotortability!
Antwort: 
"Can such things be?" (Ambrose Bierce):   YES, THEY CAN!  #460372
von thornyard (DE), 2009-09-07, 16:21  like dislike  Spam?  
1) Farandaway-quote: "aber der beitragende hat das buch erst 1993 gelesen"
You know what? I first read "der LEIDTRAGENDE" and asked myself, somewhat shocked: "How come he/she knows so much about me?"
2) mwk-quote: "Mailer talks about the voice who writes the story "
Thank you for that one. Yet, that is what they have been saying for I don't know how many years. I can do that, too:  "I never know, where my protagonists will be leading me. All I have to do is follow them. Sometimes I even start disliking one of them" And so forth. Nice.
3) assorted Farandaway-quotes: "[...]  erst als ich diesen fakt 2009 publik machte, erschien es endlich 2013 in allen wörterbüchern, und schau lieber enkel -- hier steht es jetzt auch in webster's in der neuen hologramm version von 2043! "     -    " what's the fantasy word we need here? rotortability"

conclusio: Thanks to your contributions, my lassitude is gone with the wind.!
Und ich werde meinen Enkeln stolz zurufen: "Ich bin der COINATOR des englischen Adjektivs "lassitudinous" .
P.S.: Meinen Eintrags-Antrag für das Wörterbuch habe ich angesichts der Quellenlage bereits gestern zurückgenommen.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung