Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   FI   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 . »
« retino collicular pathway    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
~  
von zou (US), Last modified: 2011-06-20, 19:12  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
mit Nachdruck überzeugen/überreden  #504258
von CirTap (DE), 2010-03-14, 04:26  like dislike  Spam?  
behaupten ~ claim. I don't see any claims or assertions being made in your examples :-)
literally: persuasively talking sb. into sth.
- jmd. mit Überzeugung zu etw. überreden
passionate speaker/speach/talk:
- jmd. mit [großem] Engagement von etw. überzeugen / zu etwas überreden
- jmd. mit [großer] Begeisterung von etw. überzeugen / ...
intrusive speaker:
- jmd. eindringlich von etw. überzeugen / ...
Chat:     
~  #504261
von zou (US), Last modified: 2011-06-20, 19:13  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
energisch und überzeugend reden  #504263
von 3mmm (DE), 2010-03-14, 07:12  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
there's never a single phrase :-)  #504264
von CirTap (DE), 2010-03-14, 07:14  like dislike  Spam?  
each of your examples could be translated using any of my former suggestions and there are even more permutations and variations :-)
I'd argue that the choice also depends of who's doing good for whom: will the speaker benefit from the outcome (intrusive, selfish, harsh) or the others/the public (passionate, good willing, warning).
"persuasively" (überzeugen) has a positive touch, comes with good arguments and reasons
"to talk sb into sth" (überreden) is negative, make ppl. act against their will/belief but they finally agree, either to get rid of that annoying speaker or to end the conversation and go for lunch instead ;-)

Let's try a positive tone: where the speaker has good arguments to convince the other party:
- Mit seiner/ihrer eindringlichen Rede überzeugte er/sie [die anderen] ...  (pretty common phrase, often used for politic talks and in journalism)
- Mit Nachdruck überzeugte sie ihn ihrem Plan zuzustimmen.  (if he won't, he/her/everybody is screwed)
- Mit starken Worten überzeugte sie [die anderen] für ihre Organisation zu spenden.  (eloquence)
- Mit eindringlichen Worten überzeugte er die Gewerkschaftsführer und Arbeiter zu streiken.  (passionate)
You can use "nachdrücklich" instead of "eindringlich" if the speaker had do repeat his speach/arguments over and over again or for a long time.
... I'm running out of ideas.
Chat:     
~  #504266
von zou (US), Last modified: 2012-10-27, 02:31  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
durch Überzeugungsarbeit dazu bringen? [eher positiv]  #504268
von ddr (AT), 2010-03-14, 08:58  like dislike  Spam?  
'behaupten' passt wirklich nicht, und in den meisten Fällen würde man auf Deutsch wahrscheinlich einfach überzeugen sagen, da 'überzeugen' gute Argumente - welcher Art auch immer - schon beinhaltet.
Chat:     
~  #504270
von zou (US), Last modified: 2012-10-27, 02:32  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
Ich meinte, die deutsche Formulierung ist eher positiv konnotiert.  #504271
von ddr (AT), 2010-03-14, 09:19  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
it'd be too simple if it were that simple  #504310
von CirTap (DE), 2010-03-14, 14:57  like dislike  Spam?  
"may, maybe not"... that's the point I was trying to make with my lengthy examples :-)
I actually like meto's example "energisch und überzeugend reden"; it's pretty generic. It expresses the power and strength (~ forcefully) of the speaker's tone/arguments, but it also implies the positive approach to "convince" sb. (überzeugen) rather than to "talk sb. into" (überreden).
However being generic has the drawback to miss the point. It doesn't snap and might even sound lame in some context. There's probably a reason why one would pick "to admonish" over "to speak forcefully".
I'd actually pick "sich [breit] über etw. auslassen" for "jawboning about the tax cuts" 'cos taxes in particular isn't a subject to chit-chat, imho.

"behaupten" (to claim, to assert, to make a statement) doesn't necessarily mean that the speaker was telling the truth or even had any clue on the subject -- it definitely sounds negavtive in German.

Thus there are very few 1:1 relations or translations for words, phrases and possibly even idioms compared to the flexibility you have and need to set a context, a feeling, a concept, you name it.

Maybe I am "speaking (writing) forcefully and persuasively" right now in order to convince you to freely pick one phrase or expression that fits the story, the feeling, the subject, the intensions and/or the type of speaker.
There's never a single phrase. ;-)
Chat:     
~  #504334
von zou (US), Last modified: 2012-10-27, 02:35  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
von Martin, 2010-03-15, 02:04  like dislike  Spam?  70.19.32...
Zou:  I have spent lots of time thinking about your question and will spare you all that I have written.  Bottom line:  IMO “heraufreden” sometimes means “jawbone.”  (I know you have considered the meaning of “heraufreden” at #474717 and I agree entirely with “talk up” and your understanding of it as described on that post.)

Point 1.   “jawbone” can be defined without the “Eindringlichkeit” as:

jawboning - Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 :

jawbone \jaw"bone`\ (j[add]"b[=o]n`), v. t. & i. [imp. & p. p.
    jawboned (j[add]"b[=o]nd`); p. pr. & vb. n. jawboning.]
    To attempt to influence solely by talking, as contrasted with
    threatening or inducing by other means, e.g. legislation;
    esp. to make public appeals in order to influence the
    behavior of businessmen or labor leaders; -- used especially
    of the President or other high government officials; as, to
    jawbone businessmen into forgoing price increases.
    [1913 Webster] -- jaw"bon*ing, n.
    [PJC]

Point 2.  Headline writers, and perhaps others, have started to use “jawbone” in a way that is synonymous with talking up (a political or economic goal).  “Expect Fed jawboning, not hikes.”  See:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/34252631/Expect_Fed_Jawboning_Not_Hikes_Gart...

Point 3.  “Heraufreden” (albeit in quotes) has been used to describe action by the Fed, in the very same way and context as the headline writer used “jawboning” in Point 2.   ““Heraufreden” des Dollars, wie es die Notenbankpoliter in den letzen Tagen praktiziert haben, reicht allenfalls aus . . .. See:

http://books.google.com/books?id=i9QbKi5xiNcC&pg=PA18&lpg=P...  

I don’t want to leave you with the impression that I think that “Heraufreden” fits perfectly.  I know it doesn’t.   But as the examples in points two and three show, it may have some utility.  

Cheers

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten