Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   NL   SK   HU   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   NL   PL   SQ   IS   RU   ES   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 transparent = invisible ? »
« Etwas zur Sprache bei der Weltmeisterschaft    

English-German Translation of
with a twist

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
with a twist  
von Cinéaste, 2010-07-04, 13:37  like dislike  Spam?  71.206.124....
Was talking with a friend about ,,Das Weiße Band", and she was saying it was very like Ingmar Bergman to her, but "with a twist."

How do you say that in German?

''--mit etwas besonderes"?
Antwort: 
Unter Umständen (Kontext!!!): mit einer besonderen / überraschenden Wendung  #528589
von Proteus, 2010-07-04, 14:00  like dislike  Spam?  91.115.95....
Antwort: 
..aber ein bischen überdreht?/..mit einem Hauch/Touch...aber von was?(Kontext wird benötigt)  #528593
von the-wrecker (DE), Last modified: 2010-07-04, 14:31  like dislike  Spam?  
Vielleicht:...aber mit einem leichten Tick/Kick/Touch--es fehlt die Spezifizierung, wohin der Kick/Tick/Touch geht.
Antwort: 
mit nem Dreh ... ?!  Überraschung ... Knalleffekt ... etc  ?!  #528594
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), 2010-07-04, 14:26  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
mit umgekehrten Vorzeichen   ?  #528601
von chicken, 2010-07-04, 15:04  like dislike  Spam?  88.65.48...
Antwort: 
with a twist  #528630
von Cinéaste, 2010-07-04, 20:51  like dislike  Spam?  71.206.124....
4;Proteus 4;the-wrecker: I gave you the context.

Sounds like it's not really a concept use in German, eh?
Antwort: 
Just my two cents . . .  #528649
anonymous, 2010-07-05, 01:03  like dislike  Spam?  76.200.128....
I think the linguistic misunderstandings or gaps between German and English often result from a tendency in English to leave many things vaguely expressed. In contrast, German seems to me to have a tendency to express many things precisely and fully. [Disclaimer: I'm not a native German speaker, but I have noticed that my communication problems with Germans often center around me not having expressed precisely my meaning.] My vague way of leaving things "sort of", "in a way", "kind of" up to the audience's imagination, often seems to confuse Germans. "With a twist" is an expression that is somewhat like that. It's not very precise, but that's kind of the point of that expression. That vague way of expressing something, I suspect, is kind of alien to Germans.

". . . es fehlt die Spezifizierung, wohin der Kick/Tick/Touch geht."

These are, of course, just my opinions. I could be way off the mark, however.
Antwort: 
Correction  #528650
anonymous, 2010-07-05, 01:29  like dislike  Spam?  76.200.128....
In contrast, German seems to me to have a preference toward expressing things as precisely and completely as possible without leaving much room for blurred meanings.
Antwort: 
That's why so many important philosophers came from Germany.  #528674
von Baccalaureus (DE), 2010-07-05, 10:34  like dislike  Spam?  
The language, not much unlike Greek, allows the concisest formulations
Antwort: 
anonymous and Cineaste: What you have expressed I was conscious of and you are right.  #528702
von the-wrecker (DE), Last modified: 2010-07-05, 11:55  like dislike  Spam?  
and I thouhgt to myself (what a wonderful world :-)  No, but...)may be this vagueness was done deliberately. We also say in German: diese Sache/ dieser Ausdruck/dieser Wein/ dieses Essen hat einen gewissen Kick/Touch...or
simply:  ...dieser Wein hat Etwas/Diese Sache hat eingewisses Etwas/..hat etwas Gewisses etc. But I thought we could get more information putting a question concerning the context.
Chat:     
anonymous 01.03 and Bacca  #528714
von wandle (GB), 2010-07-05, 12:41  like dislike  Spam?  
I wouldn't accept English is an unclear language.  On the contrary, it is very lucid and flexible.  The first essential for clear expression is clear thought.  Speakers of all languages are capable of this.
There are those who maintain that all languages are equally valid, and equally capable of expressing anything.  Hence we ought not to disparage Jamaican patois, or the languages of rain-forest tribes around the world.
This seems to me to go too far.  Without prejudice or disparagement, we may note that some languages lack a full equipment of abstract nouns.  Greek is a case in point.  Prior to Aristotle, Greek was in that position, yet even then had many philosophers and thinkers who engaged deep questions and formulated original theories.
However, once Aristotle had invented a series of abstract terms, these became standard, and were subsequently taken over by Latin (through Cicero's work), and then passed via the Church into the common stock of European languages.  It is hard to doubt that this set of conceptual tools has played an important role in the development of European civilisation and technology.  To my mind there is a distinct difference in the expressive capacity of languages that have such tools, compared with those that do not.  However, this does not differentiate English and German.
Antwort: 
Still, Greek and German grammar allow the slightest nuances  #528722
von Baccalaureus (DE), 2010-07-05, 13:15  like dislike  Spam?  
and have a precise word formation system. I don't see English compete with that.
Antwort: 
Are you saying some German and Greek expressions cannot be put into English?  #528730
von wandle (GB), 2010-07-05, 13:30  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
anonymous, 2010-07-05, 15:13  like dislike  Spam?  76.200.128....
"That's why so many important philosophers came from Germany."

I don't think Hegel got that memo on conciseness ;-)

If there is a difference between certain manners of expression, e.g. precise formulations vs. vague ones, in English and German, then I'd say that difference is cultural. Both languages are capable of expressing nuance and precision equally, in my opinion.
Antwort: 
anonymous, 2010-07-05, 15:18  like dislike  Spam?  76.200.128....
"We also say in German: diese Sache/ dieser Ausdruck/dieser Wein/ dieses Essen hat einen gewissen Kick/Touch...or
simply:  ...dieser Wein hat Etwas/Diese Sache hat eingewisses Etwas/..hat etwas Gewisses etc. But I thought we could get more information putting a question concerning the context."

I didn't mean to sound like I was picking you. You're right, though, having a little more context goes a long way in helping people get the words they're looking for.
Antwort: 
anonymous, 2010-07-05, 15:32  like dislike  Spam?  76.200.128....
"I wouldn't accept English is an unclear language."

It's not an unclear language. In fact if I had to pick a language for expressing nuance and precision, then I would probably go with English simply because its vocabulary is enormous. I was really speaking from a perspective of culture rather than language perspective. My suspicion is that from a cultural standpoint English speakers are given more license to be vague in their way of expressing themselves, but that's really not based on anything more substantial than my own inklings.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung