Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   SR   EO   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   CS   DA   PT   FI   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Prozesskontingent »
« acknowledge in the submission    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Ronja, the Robber's Daughter  
von Baccalaureus (DE), 2010-10-21, 10:26  like dislike  Spam?  
I was appalled that, in a conversation last night, an American guy confessed that he neither ever heard of Ronja, the Robber's Daughter, nor of Emil of Lönneberga. I have to ask if these books that I consider mandatory for any bookshelf in a kid's bedroom aren't as popular over there as they are here? To me, not knowing Ronja or Emil (who is called Michel in German) is like not knowing Tom Sawyer or the despicable Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles.
Chat:     
I've never heard of them either, unless Emil is the one with the detective.  #549466
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2010-10-21, 10:28  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
That. Is. In.Cre.Di.Ble.  #549468
von Baccalaureus (DE), Last modified: 2010-10-21, 10:37  like dislike  Spam?  
No, Emil is not the one with the detective. (That's the reason why Emil is called "Michel" in German, to not mix him up with Kästner's Emil).

No, have a look here:
Wikipedia(EN): Ronia_the_Robber%27s_Daughter
Wikipedia(EN): Emil_i_L%C3%B6nneberga

And pleasepleaseplease, go to your local book retailer and get these books. An adult reader will have read either of them in an afternoon and feel so much happier afterwards!
Chat:     
After some googling -  #549471
von Lllama (GB/AT), Last modified: 2010-10-21, 10:41  like dislike  Spam?  
Astrid Lindgren isn't as popular in Britain as it is here (in Austria and presumably in Germany).
There was a television series of Pippi Longstocking when I was young, I think made in America, but I didn't think it was very good, perhaps I was the wrong age.
Ronia the Robber's daughter was published in English in the mid-eighties - Wikipedia(EN): Ronia_the_Robber's_Daughter - and I would have been too old then for it.
Emil of Lönneberga doesn't appear to have been published in that form in English. There are some books here but they look like exerpts taken from a longer book, and were only published in 2008. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&f...

I'm sure there are lots of books that I would consider compulsory reading for any child that are not popular in Germany (or Sweden). That's just the way things are.
Chat:     
As there are? No, really, tell me. I will read them for certain.  #549474
von Baccalaureus (DE), Last modified: 2010-10-21, 10:58  like dislike  Spam?  
However, one should know the books when living in a German speaking area - or one will never understand why someone suddenly says "Wiesu denn blus?" and everybody bursts out laughing. There are excellent TV renderings of both!
Chat:     
Here are a couple -   #549481
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2010-10-21, 11:09  like dislike  Spam?  
Wikipedia(EN): Stig_of_the_dump - I don't think there's a German version.
Any books by E. Nesbit - Wikipedia(DE): Edith_Nesbit - there are apparantly German versions but I've never seen any in bookshops. Perhaps they've gone out of fashion.
I loved Winnie the Pooh as a young child, which I don't think was published in German until later, so people the same age as me wouldn't have read it as children.
Wikipedia(EN): The_Phantom_Tollbooth - again, I don't think there's a German version.
Chat:     
I read one book by Edith Nesbit, about a secret garden, as far as I remember.  #549482
von Baccalaureus (DE), Last modified: 2010-10-21, 11:22  like dislike  Spam?  
Winnie the Pooh was certainly translated and I read several stories: "Das ist ein sehr nützlicher Topf! Und du kannst da alles mögliche hineintun!"

"The Phantom Tollbooth" sounds fascinating. I think I'm gonna get it. Will help me a lot with my English skills, I s'pose.
Chat:     
A useful pot for putting things in  -   #549484
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2010-10-21, 11:21  like dislike  Spam?  
my children have made me a number of those at school - and they are very useful indeed :-))

Are you sure you're not thinking of "The Secret Garden" by Frances Hodgson Burnett? Although I think the concept was popular at the time :-)
Chat:     
I know  Ronja  and I loved it .... and don't forget  Wikipedia(DE): Enid_Blyton   loved these books too ....  #549485
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), Last modified: 2010-10-21, 11:25  like dislike  Spam?  
edit - the Ronja I know wasn't from the eighties ... there has to be an earlier one ....
Chat:     
Well, Enid Blyton was for girls. I heartily disliked her style even when I was like ten years old.  #549487
von Baccalaureus (DE), 2010-10-21, 11:26  like dislike  Spam?  
But that maybe due to the bad translations (I'd call them "großtantig" in Geman, is there an English word for that concept?).
Chat:     
I loved the Phantom Tollbooth.  #549489
von Windfall (GB), 2010-10-21, 11:36  like dislike  Spam?  
What really stuck with me was the concept of the professional listener.
I'd like to add another 2 books (the first admittedly for girls) to the must-read list: Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfield and Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome.
4;Bacca Try Enid in English. I suspect that the translation wasn't bad, you just disliked the style (although she did write in more than one style - I loved Five Find Outers and Dog, but couldn't get into Famous Five.)
Chat:     
.. and you are a bit younger ... ;))  - anyway can't think of a nice word "großtantig" ...  #549493
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), 2010-10-21, 11:38  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
My must-reads for German children/youth literature:  #549499
von Baccalaureus (DE), Last modified: 2010-10-21, 12:22  like dislike  Spam?  
- "Die feuerrote Friederike" by Christine Nöstlinger
- "Der lange Weg des Lukas B." by Willi Fährmann (and the whole Bienmann tetralogy, of course)
- Anything by Erich Kästner
- "Winnetou I,II+III" by Karl May (hardly readable nowadays - but necessary to learn to skim a text until something happens)
- "Momo" by Michael Ende
- "Die unendliche Geschichte" by Michael Ende
- "Jim Knopf und Lukas der Lokomotivführer" by Michael Ende
- "Der satanarchäolügenialkohöllische Wunschpunsch" by Michael Ende
- "Vorstadtkrokodile" by Max von der Grün
- "Krücke" by Peter Härtling
- "Oh wie schön ist Panama" by Janosch (A storybook, but the best one ever)
- "Timm Thaler oder das verkaufte Lachen" by James Krüss (There is a whole cyclus by James Krüss, "Geschichten der 101 Tage" - I haven't read it completely, but if all the stories are as good as Timm Thaler is, I can recommend it without any hesitation.)
- "Eine Woche voller Samstage" by Paul Maar (and all the other Sams-books)
- "Der Räuber Hotzenplotz" by Otfried Preußler
- "Die Sagen des klassischen Altertums" by Gustav Schwab
- "Heidi" by Johanna Spyri
- "Mein Name ist Eugen" by Klaus Schädelin
Chat:     
The only one of those I know of in English is Heidi.  #549516
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2010-10-21, 12:22  like dislike  Spam?  
Some of the others we have (or have borrowed from the library) in German.
Chat:     
I'm pretty sure the "Neverending Story" exists in English.  #549517
von Baccalaureus (DE), 2010-10-21, 12:24  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
Oh yes, I missed that one when I first read the list.  #549521
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2010-10-21, 12:30  like dislike  Spam?  
But I only know that because of the film.
The English translation came out in 1983 and, again, being a little older than you, I would have been too old for it.
Chat:     
Oh, and I deliberately NOT added Cornelia Funke's "Tintenwelt" trilogy to my must-reads.  #549522
von Baccalaureus (DE), 2010-10-21, 12:30  like dislike  Spam?  
It's pretty crap.
Chat:     
Joanne: I'm utterly convinced that one might be too young for a book, but never too old.  #549529
von Baccalaureus (DE), 2010-10-21, 12:47  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
There's definitely a phase when you consider yourself too old for 'children's' books.  #549532
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2010-10-21, 12:58  like dislike  Spam?  
13 or 14 year olds wouldn't read books written with 8 or 9 year olds in mind, and 16 year olds wouldn't want to read books for 12 year olds for example.
But I read my children's books, both English and German - sometimes because they are, as you said above, German classics, sometimes because they look interesting, and sometimes because I haven't got anything else to read.
Chat:     
I just recently re-read all the Kästner novels just because I wanted to enjoy his language and humour.  #549533
von Baccalaureus (DE), 2010-10-21, 13:07  like dislike  Spam?  
And I know I'll always have tears in my eyes when I read Lindgren's "Mio, mein Mio" or "Die Brüder Löwenherz" as well as I'll always giggle when I read "Eine Woche voller Samstage".
Chat:     
Vorschlag Ergänzung deutsche Must-Reads  #549575
von Jane1, 2010-10-21, 15:20  like dislike  Spam?  82.210.233....
Ich vermisse noch zwei Werke von Ottfried Preußler:
Das kleine Gespenst
Die kleine Hexe

Noch heute habe ich, wenn es irgendwo um Geister und Gespenster geht, noch immer als erstes das Buchcover mit dem niedlichen Gespenst mit dem Schlüsselbund im Kopf...  :-)
Chat:     
Stimmt, die habe ich vergessen. Und "Der kleine Wassermann" auch.  #549578
von Baccalaureus (DE), 2010-10-21, 15:28  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
Don't remember the title ...  #549702
von Lisa4dict (US), 2010-10-22, 07:49  like dislike  Spam?  
but there's a series of German children's books that are set on a remote island with a scatter brained professor, talking animals and a junior dinosaur or some such.  <Urmel??>  They also had a puppet film about it, but my niece and nephew actually liked the books better.  Bacca's list contains "jim Knopf" which has two books to it as far as I can remember.  They had a row as to who got to keep those books and whether to split them up or whether one got to keep both.  "Die Häschenschule" was passed on as a German family heirloom, but the kids mostly liked it because of the pictures.

I agree with Joanne's comment about kids having to be "the right age."  Some books also don't work with subsequent generations.  I learned a fair part of granny's "Mother Goose" by heart before I could read.  Gran said my mom never cared for it much.  My grandniece read Pipi Longstocking, but didn't like it much.  I think it put her off trying something else by that author.  
Paddington bear doesn't seem to have been translated.
Wikipedia(DE): Paddington_B%C3%A4r

Kids around here are always waiting for the next book in the "Artemis Fowl" series.  Some have meanwhile outgrown it, but have passed the baton (and previous books) on to younger siblings.  There's a German Wikipedia page, but it doesn't say whether the books are popular.
Chat:     
I know Artemis Fowl by the title, but never read one.   #549767
von Baccalaureus (DE), 2010-10-22, 10:59  like dislike  Spam?  
But you are right with "Urmel aus dem Eis" - yet, this is one of the rare cases that I liked the TV version better than the book. Urmel is part of the cultural imprinting of the so-called "Generation Golf". Say, 75% of the kids who were born between 1975 and 1985 have seen it and can sing along with it. The TV series is the reason that you can time and again hear things like "Mupfel" and "Pfööööön" in a conversation.

Youtube: nIoaJSDQvlk
Chat:     
... ich hätte bestimmt auch noch einige hinzuzufügen ...  #551001
von tulsa53 (DE), 2010-10-27, 09:13  like dislike  Spam?  
leider bin in in der Arbeit und nicht zu Hause.

Diese "Unterhaltung" über Bücher kommt definitiv auf meine 'favourites'.

Ich habe das dringende Bedürfnis, mich sofort in einen Kokon zurückzuziehen und dort zu bleiben, bis ich all das gelesen habe, was ich noch nicht kenne.

Natürlich, die meisten deutschen Kinderbücher habe ich gelesen, geliebt, verschlungen - habe jahrelang in einem 'Kokon' gelebt. Das waren phantastische 'Reisen'.
Danke dafür.
Monika
Chat:     
Rasmus und der Landstreicher  #551071
von tulsa53 (DE), 2010-10-27, 15:14  like dislike  Spam?  
Meisterdetektiv Kalle Blomquist
Kalle Blomquist lebt gefährlich
Madita

alle von Astrid Lindgren -
außerdem alle Kurzgeschichten von Astrid Lindgren, z. B. Klingt meine Linde, Im Wald sind keine Räuber, Pelle zieht aus usw. usw.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten