Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   FI   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 correct? »
« 4-0-3 separation    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
directed to/at/towards?  
anonymous, 2010-11-21, 14:46  like dislike  Spam?  193.175.204...
Surrounded by the most terrifying environmental circumstances, all attention of the men in the boat is directed to/at/towards the sea, which they perceive very detailed.
Which preposition is the right one in this case? thx for answers!
Antwort: 
A suggestion -  #556769
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2010-11-21, 15:00  like dislike  Spam?  
... all the men in the boat directed their attention towards the sea ...

I'm not sure what you want to say with the last part - which they saw in great detail?

The first part - conditions would probably be better than circumstances, and I'm sure there's something better for environmental, are you talking about the weather?
Do you have a German sentence?
Antwort: 
anonymous, 2010-11-21, 15:08  like dislike  Spam?  193.175.204...
It actually should serve as a note on a handout, so it doesn't need to be a whole sentence. I'm talking about the wild sea around them, so weather is included indirectly.
the perception of the sea is part of the content of the presentation, in which I'll analyse the detailed descriptions of the colors of the sea that can be found in the text to be discussed.
surrounded by the most terrifying environmental conditions, the men's attention is directed exclusively towards the sea, which they perceive very detailed.?
Antwort: 
~~  #556788
von zou (US), Last modified: 2011-06-23, 02:02  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
ok, I'll adopt the first part...  #556790
anonymous, 2010-11-21, 15:57  like dislike  Spam?  193.175.204...
but as I cannot give details about what they perceive (but have to say that they perceive the sea clearly, as perception is a major issue in the presentation), I need something for the second part...
Antwort: 
Perhaps use: "Their perception of the sea"  #556796
von zou (US), Last modified: 2010-11-21, 16:28  like dislike  Spam?  
If you look at these uses of "perceived the sea," you will find the phrasing generally comes from the 1800's, is used in a metaphorical or spiritual sense, or the writer was a foreigner:  Google: "perceived the sea"
Google: "perceive the sea"
Antwort: 
von wandle (GB), Last modified: 2010-11-21, 17:59  like dislike  Spam?  
Since 'environmental' basically means 'surrounding', the first phrase suffers from some tautology.  In the last clause, 'perceived' seems imappropriate, because the sense apparently ought to be that they watched the sea keenly, looking for any coming dangers.
I'd suggest:
In this most terrifying situation, the full attention of the men in the boat is focussed on the sea, every aspect of which they observe intently.

NB 'perceive' corresponds to 'see', in that it implies the result but not the intention.
     'observe' corresponds to 'watch', in that it implies both intention and result.

Vgl auch: #526530
Antwort: 
Wandle's suggestion sounds perfect.  #556807
von zou (US), 2010-11-21, 18:03  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
thx :)  #556824
anonymous, 2010-11-21, 19:16  like dislike  Spam?  193.175.204...

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten