|   Alle Sprachen   
EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   SK   NL   PT   FI   LA   ES   HU   NO   BG   HR   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   SQ   EL   BS   |   FR   SK   IS   ES   NL   HU   RO   PL   SV   NO   RU   FI   SQ   IT   DA   CS   PT   HR   BG   LA   EO   SR   BS   TR   EL

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|New Website|About|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Revision greatly appreciated »
« @ channeltranslator. Bezüglich How Long Has Thi...    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
[Text removed by Paul/Admin] 
von heidi24 (DE), 2010-12-13, 23:05  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
zu wörtlich?  #562100
anonymous, 2010-12-13, 23:28  like dislike  Spam?  64.20.13....
....rutschte der Wert des Namens Mercer auf einen alarmierenden Tiefstand.
....rutschte der Name Mercers auf einen alarmierenden Tiefstand.
Antwort: 
von uffie (GH/KI), Last modified: 2010-12-14, 20:56  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
regressed is an unfortunate choice of words in this context; it should be "relegated"!  #562111
anonymous, 2010-12-13, 23:54  like dislike  Spam?  64.20.13....
Antwort: 
von wandle (GB), Last modified: 2010-12-14, 00:20  like dislike  Spam?  
4; anonymous:
(a)  'relegated to' means 'reduced it to the status of';
(b)  'regressed to' means 'made it evolve backwards into'.
I imagine the author means (b).
Antwort: 
begehrtheit  #562119
von Lisa4dict loggedout, 2010-12-14, 00:24  like dislike  Spam?  99.11.160....
the premium on Mercer's signature doesn't just indicate the price but also the desirability.  No one is willing to pay a premium for it anymore.  It's no longer as desirable to hire Mercer.  Not sure how to represent that in German.
Antwort: 
At Wandle:  Please reconsider your reply.  #562120
anonymous, 2010-12-14, 00:27  like dislike  Spam?  64.20.13....
I agree with your definitions, but one thing can't "regress" another.
Antwort: 
von wandle (GB), Last modified: 2010-12-14, 00:59  like dislike  Spam?  
First, an imaginary example.  Professor Krickbrane develops a time machine.  He puts a horse in it and regresses it to an Eohippus.
Secondly, a real example.  The professor is operating an orrery.  First, he advances the earth's position to represent the end of the year.  Then he regresses it to the month of June.
Third, a direct comparison.  A senior manager speaks to a junior colleague: 'Play your cards right and I'll progress your career.  Play them wrong and I'll regress it right back to the shop floor.'
Chat:     
von wandle (GB), 2010-12-14, 01:35  like dislike  Spam?  
Having done the above examples, I decided to consult a few dictionaries. The only transitive uses of 'regress' I could find are (1) psychological, where the analyst regresses the patient (under hypnosis, say) to an earlier period of life, and (2) mathematical, where you regress a variable by calculating its coefficient of regression against another variable.
However, it seems to me that the transitive use by Wasson in the quoted text makes sense, and that my examples above do so too.  There is a great deal of transitive use of intransitive verbs by our transatlantic cousins, and this advancing tide generates new valid usages and cannot be wholly held back.
Chat:     
von uffie (GH/KI), Last modified: 2010-12-14, 20:55  like dislike  Spam?  

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2024 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung