Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   NL   HU   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   IS   ES   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 translation »
« ... dann EU und NATO als verfügbar melden ...    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Eichhörnchens = squirrels?  
von Dannita, 2011-01-14, 05:19  like dislike  Spam?  190.42.249...
Please, I need some help with a phrase. The text talks about a fierce man with blue eyes that can't help melting in front of cute things, this is known beforehand. The confusing part comes with the word Eichhörnchens in the middle. What's this? Squirrels? The text says:  "Dass Adalbert plötzlich so ungewohnt umgänglich war, liess sich vermutlich auf den Velpen-Bonus zurückführen. Angesichts dieses blauäugigen deinen Eichhörnchens war sein Männerherz, das eine Schwäche für alles Knuddelige hatte, weich geworden."

Please can anybody say what's the text saying?
Antwort: 
yes, squirrel  #569525
von romy (CZ/GB), 2011-01-14, 05:59  like dislike  Spam?  
and it should read "Welpen-Bonus" (Welpe = puppy)
Antwort: 
another typo ?  #569526
von Lisa4dict loggedout, 2011-01-14, 06:25  like dislike  Spam?  99.11.160....
kleinen Eichhörnchens ?
Antwort: 
Still don't understand  #569527
von Dannita, 2011-01-14, 06:43  like dislike  Spam?  190.42.249...
The text literally says Velpen-Bonus, but I suspected it referred to a puppy. And the text also says "deinen Eichhörnchens".

Even if it's a typo and it's "kleinen Eichhörnchens", what does it have to do with the rest of the sentence? I understand it's saying this man has a weakness for ute things, but I don't unerstand the part of the squirrels.
Antwort: 
Doesn't look like a reliable text source.   #569529
von Lisa4dict loggedout, 2011-01-14, 07:15  like dislike  Spam?  99.11.160....
Unless you have to puzzle it out, just chuck it.  It may refer to a human baby/toddler.  There are people who use "Eichhörnchen" as a nickname.  
It may also be used as a sexual euphemism.  But you'd have to look at the entire text to guess at the meaning then.  It's probably not worth it.
Chat:     
von chicken (DE), 2011-01-14, 08:09  like dislike  Spam?  
You may be right Lisa, but supposed it is a text scan from one of those old scanners and an ancient font:

deinen Eichhörnchens   -   would  read then: kleinen Eichhörnchens with an only partially scanned k
The puppet may be a young cat or dog because they have a tail and many of them are born with blue eyes.

but it's just guessing
Antwort: 
von wandle (GB), Last modified: 2011-01-14, 09:20  like dislike  Spam?  
As chicken suggests, Romy and Lisa are presumably right about the typos (typical OCR errors from a scan).  
However, a good translation cannot be given without the context (i.e. we need the exact preceding sentence or sentences).
'Welpen-bonus' may be something like 'puppy appeal' and 'dieses blauäugigen kleinen Eichhörnchens' could be rendered as 'this little blue-eyed kitten' -- but it depends on what went before.
Chat:     
BTW: Eichhörnchen is the German word to betray any foreigner, no matter how brillant their German be otherwise.  #569583
von Baccalaureus (DE), Last modified: 2011-01-14, 12:54  like dislike  Spam?  
They all stumble at some point of the word.
Chat:     
von uffie (GH/KI), Last modified: 2011-01-30, 23:12  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
Can't see anything wrong with "squirrel." Blue-eyed ones are rare, but do exist.  #569617
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2011-01-14, 16:58  like dislike  Spam?  
Adalbert's sudden and unusual pleasantness was probably due to the cuteness factor. While looking at this blue-eyed little squirrel, his male heart, which had a weakness for anything cuddly, had softened.
Google: "cuteness factor"
Chat:     
von uffie (GH/KI), Last modified: 2011-01-30, 23:13  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
We only have grey squirrels here in SE Virginia.  #569677
von MichaelK (US), 2011-01-14, 15:49  like dislike  Spam?  
They eat at least half of the bird seed I put out. But they have a right to live too, so I just buy more bird seed. Or better, "bird" seed.  :-)
Chat:     
von uffie (GH/KI), Last modified: 2011-01-30, 23:14  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
ufriend   #569702
von Lisa4dict loggedout, 2011-01-14, 17:28  like dislike  Spam?  99.11.160....
People often think cats "decimate" bird populations because they bring home trophies or are spotted catching birds.  Unless there's a very high density of cats per square mile all the cats get are the "surplus" of sick and unfit birds and there are fewer to fall prey to other predators like crows, rats, possums, snakes and birds of prey.  Even your beloved squirrel won't say no to a couple of eggs when it can find an unguarded nest.  Such is life.  Next thing you know we're going to start hating birds because they decimate the insect population.  
Anecdotes:
Our own terror of the small feathered creatures was once seen catching a cardinal.  Expectations all round were that the cardinal had had it.  She shifted her grip on it and the cardinal flew off.  She was pissed, but we cheered for the cardinal.  When that happens while she's tackling a mouse we're a lot less pleased.
A friend of ours used to complain about her neighbor's cat.  Until the neighbor moved away.  She now complains about being pestered by birds when she tries to sit on her patio and rodents turning her garden into a waste of gnawed down stalks.
Antwort: 
Lisa  #569717
von uffie (GH/KI), 2011-01-14, 17:42  like dislike  Spam?  
oh, I know it's self-regulating, really. But the birds are cute and our tom could do with a bit of a diet. (On the other hand, I'm quite pleased when he chases off the magpies).
Chat:     
Occasionally, cats also nab the odd squirrel. Not much of a diet, though.   #569727
von Proteus, 2011-01-14, 18:16  like dislike  Spam?  91.115.82....
Chat:     
von uffie (GH/KI), Last modified: 2011-01-14, 18:28  like dislike  Spam?  
no, perhaps a tasty little morsel on top of his normal diet of catfood. I would have thought that he is too podgy to catch anything, but maybe he's just patient enough
Antwort: 
Wow, thank you!!  #569859
von Dannita, 2011-01-15, 05:48  like dislike  Spam?  190.42.193....
Altough I really have nothing to say about squirrels; the conversation turned quite interesting.

Anyway, thanks so much for the translation. My apologies, it seemed I didn't explain the context enough, but nevertheless it seemed very accurate; later on, it's clearer the puppy is a child with blue eyes. Adalbert has blue eyes also wich made it very confusing.

And yes, the text came from a scan, I understand it's not such a reliable source now.

Thank you!

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung