Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   NL   HU   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   IS   ES   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Definition für Velleität »
« Hex Head Broaches    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Hausherrschaft  
von Badger (US), 2011-02-26, 23:55  like dislike  Spam?  
I would welcome an EN translation for Hausherrschaft, in the context of an article on the historical development of "society/Gesellschaft" in Europe.
Here's an extend quotation:
Auch im MA bleibt die Thematisierung sozialer Phänomene bei der Alltagserfahrung; das sind die Gebilde der – dem Vasallitätsprinzip folgenden – Hof- und Grundherrschaft, später der Stadt- und der Hausherrschaft, die innerhalb dieser Herrschaftsbereiche durch freien Zusammenschluß (coniuratio) entstandenen Vereinigungen ...
Thanks in advance.
Antwort: 
No expert but...  #580548
von AngloAndy (CA), Last modified: 2011-02-27, 01:48  like dislike  Spam?  
... as not too many are putting their suggestions forward, here's a try.

How about something along the lines of 'rule based on the home' or 'domestic power' or 'power stemming/derived from the home/family'? 'Family-based power'? Could we talk of a wider 'family', and somehow use the idea of 'clan'?

Have you already translated 'Hof-, Grund-, Stadtherrschaft'? If so, how?

Maybe the above can make you think of the mot juste, that which would be just the 'right fit'?
Antwort: 
? Home rule   #580549
von Bella-Brera (AT), 2011-02-27, 01:50  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
(Germanic) patriarchy/patriarchal power?  #580551
von AngloAndy (CA), Last modified: 2011-02-27, 02:06  like dislike  Spam?  
The linked document has a chapter (page 133) titled 'Patriarchalismus als häuslich-familiale Herrschaftsform': http://ubt.opus.hbz-nrw.de/volltexte/2005/298/pdf/Diss_S_Okel.pdf .

Then again, with Bella-Brera's suggestion, why not indeed 'home rule' (albeit not in the Irish history sense!) or 'house rule'. The word 'house' being understood to mean something wider than just a building. A 'house' along the lines of a 'royal house'...
Antwort: 
Hof- etc.  #580553
von Badger (US), 2011-02-27, 02:11  like dislike  Spam?  
My translation for Hof- und Grundherrschaft: court and manorial governance
for Stadtherrschaft: city and town governance.
The problem as I see it is in large measure the extremely broad range of meanings of Herrschaft. We're talking about the early MA here.
What Hausherrschaft means is reasonably clear: the right/power/authority of the paterfamilias of a household or (extended) family over his house (ancestor in a way of "a man's home is his castle?), including his family (esp. his wife; and hence sometimes rendered as patriarchy!) and other dependents.
I'm still at a loss, especially because I'd like it to be stylistically and semantically compatible with the other kinds of Herrschaft.
Antwort: 
Then...  #580554
von AngloAndy (CA), Last modified: 2011-02-27, 02:17  like dislike  Spam?  
... why not quite simply 'patriarchal governance'?

It googles relatively well: Google: patriarchal governance .

Then again the following book has 'houserule' for 'Hausherrschaft': http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=bAZO6v-q9xIC&pg=PA136&lp...
Antwort: 
householder concept  #580555
von Lisa4dict logedout, 2011-02-27, 02:19  like dislike  Spam?  98.192.96....
Antwort: 
Household governance?  #580556
von AngloAndy (CA), Last modified: 2011-02-27, 02:37  like dislike  Spam?  
... as per Lisa4dict's post

And might you like to insert 'system' as in 'governance sytem(s)?
Antwort: 
Home rule  #580558
von Catesse (AU), 2011-02-27, 02:38  like dislike  Spam?  
With all due respect to the (German?) encyclopaedia cited as a source: "home rule", in recent usage, has too many political connotations of decolonialisation for the expression to be used in a domestic context. Home Rule for Ireland. Home Rule for India. (With capitals, of course.) Several of the other suggestions provide good alternatives.
Antwort: 
Household governance  #580559
von Badger (US), 2011-02-27, 02:43  like dislike  Spam?  
sounds good to me. I'll meditate on "system". I've got at least another day before I finish the article.
Thanks to all for your help.
Antwort: 
domestic dominion  #580640
von Proteus, 2011-02-27, 16:31  like dislike  Spam?  91.115.83....
Moderator: Paula Gerson Department of Art History, Florida State University, Tallahassee
Paper 108-a: Domestic Dominion: Medieval Images of an Everyday Masculinity (Language: English)
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/ims/imc/imc1997.html

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung