Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   SR   EL   EO   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   FI   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Reihe = battery in artillery sense? »
« Vergangenheit mit Bezug zur Gegenwart    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Reihe = battery in artillery sense?  
von Mikeo1938 (GB), 2011-04-01, 12:19  like dislike  Spam?  
The dictionary gives Reihe = battery (fig).  Does Reihe mean a 'battery of guns'?

Thanks in advance ...

M
Antwort: 
von wandle (GB), Last modified: 2011-04-01, 12:27  like dislike  Spam?  
That would be: battery (lit.)
The figurative sense of 'battery' is a series or set of objects or actions.
Antwort: 
Please see here:  http://dictionary.reverso.net/english-german/battery  #587709
von Proteus, 2011-04-01, 12:23  like dislike  Spam?  91.115.90...
Antwort: 
not necessarily. Eine Reihe von ... = a line / row / bank / etc. of ....  #587710
von Kornelius (DE), Last modified: 2011-04-01, 12:26  like dislike  Spam?  
aber es gibt z.B. "die Schützenreihe ging vor "
Antwort: 
Reihe  #587712
von Mikeo1938 (GB), 2011-04-01, 12:25  like dislike  Spam?  
Thank you.

I have "eine Reihe Geschütze".  (artillery pieces).  A 'row' of guns sounds a bit weak but I can't think of an appropriate military term.

M
Antwort: 
"battery" is an organisational term; "line / row" are geometrical terms  #587713
von Kornelius (DE), Last modified: 2011-04-01, 15:22  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
von wandle (GB), Last modified: 2011-04-01, 12:32  like dislike  Spam?  
4; Mikeo 12:25: 'eine Reihe Geschütze'
That is 'a battery', in the literal sense.
Antwort: 
Reihe  #587755
von Mikeo1938 (GB), 2011-04-01, 16:37  like dislike  Spam?  
Thanks for the comments ... I'll go for 'battery' given the context.

M
Antwort: 
The term "battery" is misleading. I'd use "line" if the guns are lined up in a row.  #587763
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2011-04-01, 17:24  like dislike  Spam?  
http://www.city-data.com/picfilesv/picv27435.php
As said by Kornelius, "battery" is a military organization. It's comparable to a "company" in other branches of service. A battery has a specific number guns and number of soldiers. Another meaning of "battery" is a position in which several guns are emplaced (Stellung). Regardless, "battery" does not imply how guns are arranged in battle. "Line" is a traditional military term for an arrangement (front line, line of defense, line of departure, firing line, and many more).
Company = Battery (in the artillery) > Batterie (bei der Artillerie)
Antwort: 
von wandle (GB), Last modified: 2011-04-01, 17:58  like dislike  Spam?  
'Battery' is not misleading, unless you confine its sense to that of a military unit or organisation.  Michael's definition is valid, but is not exclusive.  The word 'battery', meaning any deployment of artillery, is older than that, and still valid today.
Chambers includes the following meanings
5 :  (a) a group of heavy guns with their equipment;  (b) the place where they are mounted.
6:   a unit of artillery or its personnel.
http://www.chambersharrap.co.uk/chambers/features/chref/chref.py/ma...

Suppose the anti-Gaddafi forces in Libya manage to bring together an assortment of various guns and set them up to attack Gaddafi's troops.  This would certainly be a battery in Chambers sense 5 (a) above, but not a battery in Michael's sense (Chambers sense 6).
Antwort: 
wandle, right, and good comment! But my answer keyed on Mikeo's eine Reihe Geschütze.  #587781
von MichaelK (US), 2011-04-01, 18:12  like dislike  Spam?  
Assuming this means "guns all lined up in one row," the term "battery" doesn't work. Nothing in "battery" implies a line of guns. But perhaps I misunderstood the function of Reihe here.
Antwort: 
von wandle (GB), 2011-04-01, 18:24  like dislike  Spam?  
But it makes no difference if they are in a row, or a diamond, or a semi-circle.  As long they are deployed to attack, they can be called a battery.  Hence, 'eine Reihe Geschütze' could be translated as 'a line of guns' or as  'a battery'.
Antwort: 
I agree completely with what you say.  #587796
von MichaelK (US), 2011-04-01, 21:45  like dislike  Spam?  
But I was under he impression that Mikeo was looking for a specific word establishing that the guns are, in fact, lined up in a row.
Antwort: 
von wandle (GB), 2011-04-02, 00:38  like dislike  Spam?  
Whereas I thought he was trying to get away from a physical description and find a functional military term.
Antwort: 
Reihe (battery)  #587845
von Mikeo1938 (GB), 2011-04-02, 10:21  like dislike  Spam?  
The full context is a report listing equipment captured: 12 Panzer, eine Reihe Geschütze und 8 Funkwagen erbeutet.

Given that ‘battery’ can mean ‘Stellung’, I think this is the best option.  But without resorting to a seance it will be hard to know exactly what happened.

I’m really grateful to everyone for taking time to help.  

M
Antwort: 
von wandle (GB), 2011-04-02, 11:47  like dislike  Spam?  
If the guns when captured were parked in a rear area, then they would not be a battery in Chambers sense 5 (a) or (b).  It is also umlikely they would be a battery in Chambers sense 6 (the equipment of a unit), since in that case I imagine it would probably be described explicitly as the capture of 'eine Batterie'.
Unless the context makes clear the guns were deployed for battle, it should just be 'a row of guns'.
Antwort: 
Reihe  #587919
von Mikeo1938 (GB), 2011-04-02, 17:57  like dislike  Spam?  
Once again, thanks for your continued help.

In fact, the guns were captured in the heat of battle and on the front line.  The report listing the booty was given soon afterwards to a regimental commander by the major in charge of the unit that had captured the guns.

M

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten