Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   FI   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 revenue vs earnings »
« "freies Krisenspiel"    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
adjusting their healing crystals  
von database (DE), 2011-04-08, 21:09  like dislike  Spam?  
Has this a special meaning, or is it just the way I get it: to make clear what they mean by adjusting their crystals? :)

The green idea of “science” is that we should all be riding bicycles and using the Clivus Multrum composting latrines instead of flush toilets. Anyone who dissents, they say — while adjusting their healing crystals for emphasis — is “afraid of science.”

Thanks in advance
Antwort: 
It's an allusion to quackery (pseudoscience)...  #589436
von Saluton1 (US), Last modified: 2011-04-08, 21:22  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
von database (DE), 2011-04-08, 21:28  like dislike  Spam?  
So, a Sesame Street like scene would be sciientiist talking about pseudoscience with some crystals at the desk where he sits and explains his theories?
Antwort: 
The author is ridiculing leftists who claim to be guided by science...  #589439
von Saluton1 (US), 2011-04-08, 21:42  like dislike  Spam?  
...when in reality they worship cultish pseudoscience.
Antwort: 
It's a polemic, using exaggeration, ridicule and personal attack as a means to make a point.  #589440
von MichaelK (US), 2011-04-08, 21:44  like dislike  Spam?  
Don't know who "they" are, but "they" are made to look like like fools because they "adjust their healing crystals." In other words, the speaker is making the point that you can't believe anything they say because they practice voodoo.
Antwort: 
von database (DE), 2011-04-08, 21:56  like dislike  Spam?  
Ah, that's it, that what I wanted to hear -- so a Sesame Street Voodoo professor would not be so wrong (but I don't know who should take this role: Count Number, Gonzo, no, but unfortunately Sesame Street does not have a Frankenstein).
Antwort: 
Just curious...  #589446
von Saluton1 (US), 2011-04-08, 22:18  like dislike  Spam?  
are you translating this or just trying to understand the article?
Antwort: 
Just to let you know - in the English programme, he's called The Count - short for Count von Count.  #589448
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2011-04-08, 22:35  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
von database (DE), 2011-04-08, 23:05  like dislike  Spam?  
Oh, yes "Count" alone works -- I translated "Graf Zahl" into "Count Number". (As usual the denglish way of english.)
Chat:     
database.  #589465
von MichaelK (US), 2011-04-09, 00:05  like dislike  Spam?  
Not sure what it is you're working with, but a polemic such as this is completely illogical. It asserts that a person who believes in one or several falsehoods is unable to be right about anything. Nothing could be further from the truth.
Antwort: 
Polemic  #589509
von romy (CZ/GB), 2011-04-09, 07:13  like dislike  Spam?  
I fully agree with MichaelK and would like to ask Saluton1, who I highly respect, not to join in into such polemic by calling it "pseudoscience". Even witchery and astronomy have been acknowledged sciences for thousands of years, even if today's mainstream scientists do not know anything about these things and are trying to ridicule them whenever they can. In your polemic context - "The green idea of “science” is that we should all be riding bicycles and using the Clivus Multrum composting latrines instead of flush toilets. Anyone who dissents, they say — while adjusting their healing crystals for emphasis — is “afraid of science.” - I would translate it as: "... - wobei sie zur Bekräftigung ihre Heilkristalle zu Rate ziehen - ..."
Antwort: 
Leaving aside the issue of pseudoscience (witchcraft, astrology, alchemy, etc.)...  #589513
von Saluton1 (US), Last modified: 2011-04-09, 07:55  like dislike  Spam?  
..I wasn't engaging in a polemic but interpreting a text for someone who had trouble understanding it. Interpreting here means trying to divine what the author meant. Not really a difficult thing to do since I am familiar with the issues. Pseudoscience then becomes an integral part of this interpretation because of the juxtaposition presented by the author.
Chat:     
No worries, Saluton  #589514
von romy (CZ/GB), 2011-04-09, 08:11  like dislike  Spam?  
When translating something there is always the risk that the original author's (misguided) opinions are considered to be  the translator's opinions, too. Sorry for the attack!
Chat:     
Regarding "pseudoscience"  #589515
von romy (CZ/GB), 2011-04-09, 08:14  like dislike  Spam?  
If I had the time I could find for you dozens of links proving the healing, or damaging, influences and interactions of any crystal's energy field when it comes in contact with the human energy fields. Just google a bit around the term "energy healing" and you will become aware of what this author doesn't know.
Antwort: 
von wandle (GB), 2011-04-09, 11:04  like dislike  Spam?  
Two examples from Google: "energy healing"

Your energy flows more freely when you are centered and grounded. Here are some balancing and grounding healing systems to help pump up your chi energies.
http://healing.about.com/od/energyhealing/Energy_Healing.htm

Chios Energy Healing is a relatively new yet very comprehensive energy healing system which employs powerful and effective aura and chakra healing techniques, nearly all of which are unique to Chios.
http://www.chioshealing.com/

Makes you wonder why people get alarmed about Fukushima when such powerful methods are available.
Chat:     
wandle  #589554
von romy (CZ/GB), 2011-04-09, 11:21  like dislike  Spam?  
What's your problem? Comparing brutal bombs with subtle energies doesn't match. Keep reading!
The human body is a very tender and sensitive energy system, which today's mainstream medicinmen often attack with brutal chemical bombs (most brutal in cancer treatment, etc.) due to their ignorance. I could tell you a lot of jokes about them, told in my circles.
Antwort: 
von wandle (GB), Last modified: 2011-04-09, 12:17  like dislike  Spam?  
The problem of Fukushima is not so much bombs as the ongoing release of radioactivity.  
It's odd that no one seems to have told the Japanese Government about these healing methods.  Wouldn't that be helpful, especially for the teams working shifts on the damaged reactors?  Could these methods give protection?
Chat:     
wandle  #589566
von romy (CZ/GB), 2011-04-09, 12:38  like dislike  Spam?  
My dear, I hope you are just joking. You wouldn't expect an ant to lift Mt Everest on its shoulders, would you? Crystals may gently strengthen the subtle protective energy shield of a human body and its immune system, but the attack from an outside nuclear power plant may be a million times stronger in terms of radiation than even the strongest human energy field. But, on the other hand, yes - if I had to work there, I would certainly wear a protective suit equipped with radiation-reflecting fabric, copper fibres, magnets and possibly even with crystals! But I am sure the people working there are already wearing such or similar clothing. The Japanese know much more about these things than Europeans, trust me. With that, I am leaving this tread. Please contact me by private message if you have any more questions!
Antwort: 
von wandle (GB), Last modified: 2011-04-09, 13:46  like dislike  Spam?  
Radioactivity -- say, a gamma ray or particle -- involves an amount of energy so small as to be far beneath what we can experience with our senses.  That is why we feel nothing when we have an X-ray.  It is energy not on a large scale, but on about the smallest scale imaginable.  Nevertheless, it does involve real energy in a very basic form.  
Are chi or chakra or other such phenomena perceptible by human senses?  If so, then they operate on a much greater scale than radioactivity.  There ought therefore to be some very clear means of measuring them.  Before delving any deeper into this fascinating field, I prefer to wait till I hear of them being quantified in an objective way.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten