Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   NL   SK   HU   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   IS   ES   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Werksabnahmetest - Probleme mit zusammenhanglos... »
« sucked    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
"gezielte Tötung"  
anonymous, 2011-05-04, 11:17  like dislike  Spam?  91.67.76....
"Eine willkürliche Tötung ist nach dem internationalen Pakt über bürgerliche und politische Freiheiten nicht erlaubt."

Mein Versuch: An arbitrary killing is not allowed by international covenant of civil and political rights.  

Kann man so sagen? Ist das korrektes englisch? DANKE
Antwort: 
von gast04052011, 2011-05-04, 11:37  like dislike  Spam?  217.5.231....
rein grammatikalisch solltest du den Artikel vor dem killing weglassen, und einen bestimmten Artikel vor den Pakt setzen
Antwort: 
Also, Wikipedia(EN): International_Covenant_on_Civil_and_Political_Rights should be capitalised.  #594904
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2011-05-04, 11:44  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
Verwechselt nicht "Rechte" und "Freiheiten"   #594905
von romy (CZ/GB), 2011-05-04, 11:49  like dislike  Spam?  
Viele der Rechte und Freiheiten im Internationalen Pakt über bürgerliche und politische Rechte ...
de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menschenrechte -
However, I don't quite understand why the autor chose "freedoms" here.
Chat:     
romy, the sentence with Freiheiten is a direct quote.  #594916
von MichaelK (US), 2011-05-04, 12:13  like dislike  Spam?  
Statement by Siegfried Kauder, chairman of the German parliament's judiciary committee (Vorsitzender des Rechtsausschusses des Deutschen Bundestages).
Antwort: 
Arbitrary killings are ruled out by the International Covenant on Civil and Political Liberties (ie. Rights)  #594930
von Proteus, 2011-05-04, 12:27  like dislike  Spam?  93.82.155....
Chat:     
Mr Obama's decision to have ObL assassinated may have gone a long way to ensure his reelection.   #594938
von Proteus, 2011-05-04, 12:36  like dislike  Spam?  93.82.155....
History will call a spade a spade and the president a spade a spade and President Obama the murderer of a mass murderer.

For once, the UN seems to serve a purpose:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110503/wl_nm/us_binladen_un_rights
Chat:     
Typo: History will call a spade a spade and President Obama the murderer of a mass murderer.  #594939
von Proteus, 2011-05-04, 12:37  like dislike  Spam?  93.82.155....
Chat:     
Regardless, no surprise here.  #594955
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2011-05-04, 13:23  like dislike  Spam?  
During the New Hampshire Democratic Presidential Candidates Debate on June 3, 2007, then-Senator Barack Obama said: "I don't believe in assassinations, but Osama bin Laden has declared war on us, killed 3,000 people, and under existing law, including international law, when you've got a military target like bin Laden, you take him out. And if you have 20 minutes, you do it swiftly and surely."

Not sure I'd use the spade-saying here. Among other things, "spade" is a nasty pejorative for a black person.
Chat:     
also in BE  #594966
von uffie (GH/KI), Last modified: 2011-05-04, 14:27  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
No need to fuss: http://www.worldwidewords.org/topicalwords/tw-spa1.htm  #594990
von Proteus, 2011-05-04, 15:16  like dislike  Spam?  93.82.155....
http://www.word-detective.com/back-w.html
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/call-a-spade-a-spade.html

As to the issue at hand:
In international law, a private person cannot declare war on any state and cannot by any stretch of misconstruction become a legitimate military target.
Chat:     
No fuss here. Just saying I wouldn't use the word if Barack Obama's being discussed.  #594999
von MichaelK (US), 2011-05-04, 15:30  like dislike  Spam?  
Perhaps that marks me as a racist, who knows. :-)
Antwort: 
von wandle (GB), 2011-05-04, 18:14  like dislike  Spam?  
From Proteus' link (12.36):
It was always clear that taking bin Laden alive was likely to be difficult, she said, noting that U.S. authorities had stated that they intended to arrest him if possible. [Navi Pillay, U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights].
In Washington, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder defended as lawful Tuesday the U.S. operation to go into Pakistan that resulted in the death of bin Laden and the taking of his body.
"If he was captured and brought before a court, I have no doubt he would have been charged with the most serious crimes, including the mass murder of civilians that took place on 9/11, which were planned and systematic and in my view amounted to crime against humanity," said Pillay, a former U.N. war crimes judge.

Whoever had to face bin Laden knew he was very dangerous.  Any equivocal movement could be an attempted lethal action.  Self-defence justifies killing in that case.  I don't think it would be easy to prove assassination.  

4; MichaelK:  A football commentator in England, commenting on an assist by a black player towards a goal, was criticised for saying he 'had done the spadework' for the striker.
Antwort: 
gezielte Toetung  #666913
von Glycan (DE/GB), 2012-07-30, 00:59  like dislike  Spam?  
Premeditated manslaughter is illegal under the treaty of international and civil liberties

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung