|   Alle Sprachen   
EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   SK   NL   PT   FI   LA   ES   HU   NO   BG   HR   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   SQ   EL   BS   |   FR   SK   IS   ES   NL   HU   RO   PL   SV   NO   RU   FI   SQ   IT   DA   CS   PT   HR   BG   LA   EO   SR   BS   TR   EL

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|New Website|About|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Kurzen Text ins Englische »
« der, die, das Wikipedia ?    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
that Jehovah had wrought deliverance of the race even at the hands of the tyrant  
von database (DE), 2011-06-28, 16:37  like dislike  Spam?  
Ich habe hier eine antisemitische Aussage von Gandhi, be der ich den fetten Teil nicht verstehe. Kann jemand entwirren?

“[S]uffering voluntarily undergone will bring [the Jews] an inner strength and joy…the calculated violence of Hitler may even result in a general massacre of the Jews…But if the Jewish mind could be prepared for voluntary suffering, even the massacre I have imagined could be turned into a day of thanksgiving and joy that Jehovah had wrought deliverance of the race even at the hands of the tyrant. For to the God-fearing, death has no terror.”

Danke im Voraus
Antwort: 
von wandle (GB), Last modified: 2011-06-28, 16:49  like dislike  Spam?  
'that Jehovah had wrought deliverance of the race even at the hands of the tyrant.'
English meaning:
'that God had worked (i.e. brought about) the rescue of the [Jewish] race, even though he did it through the action of the tyrant (i.e. Hitler).'
Antwort: 
von database (DE), 2011-06-28, 16:55  like dislike  Spam?  
Like this?

"giving them their freedom" = "ihnen die Freiheit schenken"
Antwort: 
that Jehovah had wrought deliverance of the race even at the hands of the tyrant   #605475
von Karin107 (DE), Last modified: 2011-06-28, 17:14  like dislike  Spam?  
... Jehovah bewerkstelligt(e) die Befreiung seines Volkes (manchmal) sogar durch die Hand der Unterdrücker selbst (die er jederzeit dazu zwingen kann, wenn er will) ... und: Die Aussage von Ghandi ist nicht antisemitisch, sondern eher bewundernd, vor dem Hintergrund Ghandi's eigener Gewaltlosigkeit.
Chat:     
Deliverance by death, not freedom.  #605477
von MichaelK (US), 2011-06-28, 17:09  like dislike  Spam?  
Gandhi is saying that it is better to die than to resist genocide if such resistance has to be carried out through violent action. This view is grounded in Hinduism and difficult to accept (or even understand) rationally.
Chat:     
Keine antisemitische Aussage von Gandhi  #605483
von arnoldvl (US), Last modified: 2011-06-28, 17:43  like dislike  Spam?  
Nothing in Gandhi's statement appears antisemitic to me. As 4;MichaelK points out, Gandhi is arguing here for the philosophy of non-violence, even in the face of death. The plight of the Jews under Hitler would seem to imply the futility of non-violent resistance in the face of a tyrant without conscience, but for Gandhi death is better than falling into violence to defend oneself and one's people. This may be a difficult or even impossible philosophy, but there is no antisemitism in the argument.
Antwort: 
Haltbar nur, solange man an Seelenwanderung, Wiedergeburt, Moksha usw. glaubt.   #605490
von rabend (DE/FR), 2011-06-28, 17:55  like dislike  Spam?  
Das tut aber nicht jeder.

Antisemitismus beginnt, wenn man die jüd. Nachkriegsdoktrin nicht versteht, die besagt, dass die trad. jüd. Gewaltloskeit zur fast völligen Ausrottung des eigenen Volkes geführt hat, weil sich Minderheiten den Verzicht auf eine gewisse Bewaffnung ganz einfach nicht erlauben können.

Ghandi war Ideologe, er stellte Ideologie stets über die Erfordernisse der Wirklichkeit und ist beiläufig nicht weniger als Dr. Jinnah verantwortlich für den späteren Bruderkrieg zw. Moslems und Hindus.
Chat:     
rabend: Clearly you don't like Gandhi. That's OK, but  #605496
von arnoldvl (US), Last modified: 2011-06-28, 19:05  like dislike  Spam?  
he's still not an antisemite by the usual definition of the term. (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/antisemite, http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/antisemite, and http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/anti-Semitism.)

But of course one can choose to play the political game of redefining words to fit his/her agenda. (cf. George Orwell's 1984.) With suitable definitions, anyone can be portrayed as a Communist or Fascist or antisemite.

That's a useful ploy for politicians, activists, and ideologues, but such behavior tends to undercut the use of language for rational communication.
Antwort: 
arnold. Bitte lese meinen Kommentar sorgfältig.  #605500
von rabend (DE/FR), Last modified: 2011-06-28, 19:51  like dislike  Spam?  
Ich habe nicht behauptet, Gandhi sei Antisemit gewesen, Gandhi war nicht Bose; ich habe im Gegenteil darauf hingewiesen, dass eine solche Haltung erst nach der Shoah skandalös wurde, genauer: nach der Gründung des Staates Israel, als das jüd. Volk begann, sich gegen Angriffe energisch zu wehren.
Gandhi war zu diesem Zeitpunkt nicht mehr am Leben.
Was Gandhi vorzuwerfen ist, ist seine starre Haltung in der Frage der Wahlkollegien. Er weigerte sich, die Drei-Kollegien-Lösung -- ein Drittel der künftigen Abgeordnetensitze für die Hindus (Kastenhindus), ein Drittel für die Muslime, ein Drittel für die sogen. Unberührbaren -- auch nur in Betracht zu ziehen, bestand auf einem Einheitskongress, one man, one vote, war zu ideologisch verblendet, um die Minderheitsinteressen zu erkennen. Ergebnis war der Bruderkrieg und die Teilung.
Chat:     
Rabend: It looks like there is a great deal that I might have read INTO your comment but didn't....  #605514
von arnoldvl (US), Last modified: 2011-06-28, 20:35  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
von database (DE), 2011-06-28, 21:50  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:

Für diejenigen, die es noch nicht wissen: Gandhi sagte auch "Hitler is not a bad man". Und ich habe mir sagen lassen, daß der liebe Gott vor kurzem etwas erfunden hat, das Bücher heißt:

Richard Grenier: The Gandhi Nobody Knows , ISBN 0840753799

Und ich habe es ausprobiert und muß sagen, Bücher lesen macht richtig Spaß

:)
Chat:     
;-)  #605527
von uffie (GH/KI), 2011-06-28, 23:07  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
To set the record straight about "Hitler is not a bad man."  #605531
von arnoldvl (US), Last modified: 2011-06-29, 00:21  like dislike  Spam?  
Richard Grenier probably got his quote from this letter written by Gandhi to a British peer at the time that Britain appeared to be losing the war against Germany:

"This manslaughter must be stopped. You are losing; if you persist it will only result in greater bloodshed. Hitler is not a bad man. If you will call it off today, he will follow suit. If you want to send me to Germany or anywhere else, I am at your disposal. You can also inform the Cabinet about this."
--- from In the Shadow of the Mahatma by G. D. Birla

Let's remember that others, such as Neville Chamberlain, had far less excuse for misjudging Hitler than did Mohandas K. Gandhi, who was far from European events and was principally concerned to free his country from British domination.
Antwort: 
arnold. So ist es wohl.  #605533
von rabend (DE/FR), 2011-06-29, 01:31  like dislike  Spam?  
Dokumente in ihren histor. Zusammenhang zu stellen, ist aber offenbar nicht jedermanns Sache. Lesen allein genügt nicht.
Antwort: 
von wandle (GB), 2011-06-29, 09:09  like dislike  Spam?  
When I offered my interpretation above I assumed Ghandi's statement had been made after the war, and meant that Hitler's massacre had at least resulted in the Jews' acquiring a national home.  However, the info above shows that by 'deliverance' he really meant being freed from earthly suffering and arriving at a superior reincarnation.  
When I have done charity collections, people have often said to me 'Another time', but once a homeless Indian man came up to me and said apologetically 'Next time round'.
Not so much 'pie in the sky when you die' as 'pie on the ground next time round'.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2024 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung