Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   NL   SK   HU   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   NL   PL   SQ   RU   IS   ES   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 offer one's intentions to God »
« mittig aufgeschnitten    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
offer one's intentions to God  
von meri (DE), 2011-09-17, 11:41  like dislike  Spam?  
I'm not sure what exactly is meant by this phrase: http://ecosia.org/search.php?addon=firefox&q=%22offer+your+inte...
Is it just another expression for "to pray"? If not, does anyone know if there is a corresponding phrase in German?
Antwort: 
von Raian (UN), 2011-09-17, 11:58  like dislike  Spam?  
Ich denke, sinngemäß heißt es "... und beziehe Gott mit ein".
Antwort: 
Ich denke eher, es ist irgendetwas in der Richtung "um Gottes Segen bitten"  #618740
von meri (DE), 2011-09-17, 12:45  like dislike  Spam?  
In meinem Text wird es in der Form "to offer so.'s (=so. else's) intentions to God" verwendet -- da vermute ich, dass es so etwas wie Fürbitte bei Gott (für jemandes Wünsche) einlegen" bedeutet.
Bin aber nicht so ganz sicher.

Danke auf jeden Fall!
Antwort: 
von wandle (GB), Last modified: 2011-09-17, 13:02  like dislike  Spam?  
'Offer one's intentions to God' means pray to the diety, asking him to understand that your intentions are to do his will.  This is an insurance policy, in case you accidentally happen to have an unconscious or half-conscious selfish motive behind your plan.  If that is the case, the idea is that god will let you know about it with an insight that allows you to correct your plan. If no such insight occurs, then provided you have made your prayer sincerely and genuinely you are safe from sin in this respect.
Antwort: 
?      Fürbitten ( ... ) >>  "Wir bitten dich, erhöre uns!"  #618744
von Bella-Brera (AT), 2011-09-17, 13:08  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
In the Catholic faith, "intention" implies desiring not only some good, but also the means of obtaining this good.   #618746
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2011-09-17, 13:14  like dislike  Spam?  
If you express that in a prayer, the prayer is an "intention." There's the old term Intentionsgebet, but I don't think it's used today.
Google: intentionsgebet
Antwort: 
Thank you all!  #618772
von meri (DE), 2011-09-17, 14:40  like dislike  Spam?  
If you say that about someone else, i.e. " we offer your intentions to God", could it mean something like "We know that you acted absolutely selflessly"? The context here is a kind of thank-you letter to people who have given money for a good cause.
Antwort: 
I think it means that an intermediary ("we") will pass the intention on to a revered entity.  #618774
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2011-09-17, 17:19  like dislike  Spam?  
Not sure if this is practiced in Germany, but there are quite a few organizations in the U.S. which will forward your prayer to God or whomever. Monetary donations are voluntary, but most people send money along with their prayer thinking that (as wandle said) it can't hurt.
Antwort: 
Thanks, Michael!  #618777
von meri (DE), 2011-09-17, 15:13  like dislike  Spam?  
So, it wouldn't be too far off then to translate it as "Wir tragen Ihre Gebete [und guten Wünsche] an Gott heran", would it?
I think for a German context, that comes close to the original meaning without sounding too unfamiliar.
Antwort: 
Yes, I think it conveys the meaning very well.  #618778
von MichaelK (US), 2011-09-17, 15:30  like dislike  Spam?  
As you suspect, some of these thing don't translate well into German because of the cultural differences. At the extreme end of this, consider this short video clip. Ernest Angley becomes the intermediary between you and God if you put your hand on the TV- or computer screen. Not a parody—this is dead serious business and, of course, also involves donations.
http://www.ernestangley.org/miracles/
Antwort: 
von WingDing (US), Last modified: 2011-09-18, 04:15  like dislike  Spam?  
One of the links had this:

"Choose one or two things that you will begin to work on, and offer your intentions to God. "

It looks to me like it might just be a way to set a spiritual goal and then share that goal (your intentions) with God. If you hear lightning in the distance shortly afterward, then it's best to find another goal. :-)
Antwort: 
Thanks again!  #618877
von meri (DE), 2011-09-18, 11:12  like dislike  Spam?  
And that video clip is quite creepy! :)

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung