Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   SK   NL   HU   FI   LA   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   ES   IS   RU   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Text übersetzen »
« Gerüchte    

English-German Translation of
ordering food in

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
ordering food in a restaurant  
von plantman (US), 2011-10-22, 15:43  like dislike  Spam?  
In a restaurant, a waitress comes up and asks "Have you ordered?" ...would that be "Haben Sie befohlen?"
Antwort: 
Haben sie schon bestellt?  #624655
von Lisa4dict loggedout, 2011-10-22, 15:53  like dislike  Spam?  99.11.160....
<That would be a very attentive waitress in Germany. In my experience German most service staff in shops and restaurants act as if they consider their patrons and customers a nuisance.>
Antwort: 
Befohlen would be extremely oldfashioned, 19th century or so.  #624660
von ddr (AT), Last modified: 2011-10-22, 16:41  like dislike  Spam?  
You could also say:
Sie wünschen?
Was darf ich Ihnen bringen?
or
Haben Sie schon gewählt?
Chat:     
We often had waiters/waitresses come up and say:  #624661
von Lisa4dict loggedout, 2011-10-22, 16:50  like dislike  Spam?  99.11.160....
Jaaa? in a questioning tone of voice.  Which always tempted me to answer "Nein."  But I was afraid she'd walk off and not come back to take any order.  
We also encountered a semi commanding clipped: "Na."

That was in Northern Germany.  Can't recall what we encountered in the South.  Most of the time we were too busy just trying to understand anyone there.
Antwort: 
Lisa: That's simply not true - or you just were in the wrong places  #624662
von Baccalaureus (DE), 2011-10-22, 17:05  like dislike  Spam?  
When I go out, I expect good and kind service, and if I don't get it, I don't tip (or even leave).
Chat:     
Bacca  #624663
von Lisa4dict loggedout, 2011-10-22, 17:47  like dislike  Spam?  99.11.160....
We may have been at the wrong places, but if so, there were a lot of those around.  That's not to say that we never encountered any good service anywhere, nor that places here are all stellar, but the general vibe is different.  Friends and colleagues usually have similar stories to tell when the topic comes up.
Chat:     
von uffie (GH/KI), Last modified: 2011-10-22, 17:50  like dislike  Spam?  
perhaps things have changed, but these days restaurant staff are courteous and quick.

Usually, you either get seated or find a seat yourself, someone comes up, brings you the menu and asks what you'd like to drink (was möchten Sie trinken/kann ich Ihnen schon etwas zum Trinken bringen), comes back with your drinks and takes down what you'd like to eat (haben Sie schon gewählt).

Staff aren't as super-friendly as in American or British restaurants but people here would think it quite odd if they were.

It may be that overcrowded touristy restaurants are different.
Antwort: 
Well, otoh, the faked friendliness of American waiters and esses came rather obtrusive to me.  #624665
von Baccalaureus (DE), 2011-10-22, 17:52  like dislike  Spam?  
After all, I don't want to spend time with them and I need not know their first name. I just want them to kindly ask me for my order - and that's what they do here. Although a kind of  "Kumpelton" in Studentenkneipen over here is absolutely normal. In a restaurant, when a waiter came to my table saying "Na?", I would react rather rude.
Antwort: 
ufriend: That's it. Overcrowded tourist places  #624668
von Baccalaureus (DE), 2011-10-22, 17:58  like dislike  Spam?  
where no German would ever set a foot in. You can't expect anything there other than bad food and high prices.
Antwort: 
Thanks, friends. It was "bestellt" I  was thinking of...  #624670
von plantman (US), 2011-10-22, 18:00  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
bacc  #624679
von WingDing (US), Last modified: 2011-10-22, 18:55  like dislike  Spam?  
I have to admit that there are times in the US when I find myself stuck in chit chat when I'd really prefer to just not have to talk to somebody. There are some airlines in the US that take the cutesy customer interaction way too far, in my opinion, but I'm probably a bit of a grouch by American standards.
Chat:     
WingDing  #624717
von Lisa4dict loggedout, 2011-10-23, 08:34  like dislike  Spam?  99.11.160....
You won't miss it until you don't get it.  I admit it took some getting used to after we got back to the US to have my groceries bagged and getting help with loading the car.  But I never missed being greeted with "wir wollen auch nach Hause," "der Tag ist lang genug," or - always a prize after an 18 hour workday - "Sie könnten ja auch früher aufstehen"  at the cash register.  The first couple of "how are you today," "nice to see you again," and "thank you for shopping with us" I felt like giving them a hug of thanks.
Chat:     
I hear you, Lisa  #624721
von WingDing (US), Last modified: 2011-10-23, 09:09  like dislike  Spam?  
It's been an eternity since I lived in Germany so I'm going to hold off on commenting on the state of German customer service today. When I was there, however, I do remember having bad customer service encounters. I chalk this up to cultural differences. I think Germans honestly just don't notice it or don't care or make sure they're prepared for customer service interaction. Germans I've befriended in the states have asked me questions about bank cards and checks and whatnot and when I said, "Just go ask your bank teller," they've responded that they didn't want to do that because they were afraid of seeming like idiots. I had a German tell me when she returned to Germany from the states and asked for information, the service rep pointed to a sign and said, "Can't you read?" and she said to herself, "Oh yeah, I have to remember I'm back in Germany." So I think there's just a different mentality, a different kind of customer service brain imprinting, if you will, that has occurred in our respective cultures and that, in many ways, make us unrecognizable to each other.
Chat:     
Couldn't agree more.   #624727
von Lisa4dict loggedout, 2011-10-23, 09:32  like dislike  Spam?  99.11.160....
That's what I was trying to get at from the get go.  I just didn't phrase it right.  What's considered good and attentive service here, would be that there and vice versa.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung