|   Alle Sprachen   
EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   SK   NL   PT   FI   LA   ES   HU   NO   BG   HR   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   SQ   EL   BS   |   FR   SK   IS   ES   NL   HU   RO   PL   SV   NO   RU   FI   SQ   IT   DA   CS   PT   HR   BG   LA   EO   SR   BS   TR   EL

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|New Website|About|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 question translating to german »
« Etw. hört sich gut an    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Who likes to answer a literary riddle?  
von oliver53 (DE), 2011-10-24, 20:15  like dislike  Spam?  
Who likes to answer a literary riddle? And helps me out with a critical eye on grammar and expressions? Warm thanks to everybody who does, its intended for my non-commercial website! Here it goes:

"2011/11/14 - Day One of a remarkable story. A stormy night flight from Dublin to O’Hare International Chicago. Do we have to anticipate a technical disaster? No, that’s nothing you could use as a starting point, literaly, at least not these days. After all, the plane will be a boring Airbus A 330-202, not the famous Lockheed Super Constellation, the star of the pre-jet airlines age back in the fifties. “Super Conny” - so its affectionate nick name - hasn’t been boring at all, because of its splendid service and its four fancy propeller motors. The latter had a fatal tendency to fail during long haul flights. Wisely, the Lockheed engineers gave good old “Conny” the ability of a safe touchdown with only two working motors left. Exactly this somewhat not boring situation acts as the starting point of a famous opus of world literature first published in 1957 in German by a non-German author. The novel now has an edition of four million copies in over 50 languages. Do you know name and nationality of the author and the novel’s title? I am looking forward to your response via contact form – the first right answer will be rewarded with a dinner for two. Place and time: Restaurant  (...), Chicago, Il., at 8 p. m, 2011/11/14 -  Day One of a remarkable story."
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), Last modified: 2011-10-24, 20:51  like dislike  Spam?  
This is what I think (changes in caps or bold where I wanted to change capitalisation) - I'm a bit unsure what you mean by the bit about the starting point:

"2011/11/14 - Day one of a remarkable story. A stormy night flight from Dublin to O’Hare International Chicago. SHOULD WE anticipate a technical disaster? No, that’s NOT WHAT IT'LL BE ABOUT, NOT literalLy, at least not these days. After all, the plane will be a boring Airbus A 330-202, not the famous Lockheed Super Constellation, the star of the pre-jet airlines age back in the fifties. “Super Conny”, AS IT WAS affectionateLY KNOWN, WASN'T boring at all, WITH its AMAZING service and its four fancy propeller motors. TheSE had aN AWKWARD tendency to fail during long haul flights. Wisely, the Lockheed engineers gave good old “Conny” the ability TO touch down SAFELY with JUST two working motors left. IT's JUST this ANYTHING BUT DULL situation THAT SERVES as the starting point TO a famous opus of world literature first published in 1957 in German by a non-German author. Four million copies OF THE NOVEL HAVE NOW BEEN PUBLISHED in over 50 languages. Do you know name and nationality of the author and the novel’s title? I LOOK forward to your responseS via THE contact form – the first CORRECT answer will be AWARDED a dinner for two AT (...) Restaurant, Chicago, Il., at 8 pm ON 2011/11/14 -  Day One of a remarkable story."

NB fatal in English = toedlich
Chat:     
just guessing ...   #625050
von chicken (DE), 2011-10-24, 21:40  like dislike  Spam?  
- the author was British?
- his monogram is e.t.?
- I don't repeat the title of the novel, but Germans seem to love it ...
Antwort: 
Some other help -  #625053
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2011-10-24, 21:52  like dislike  Spam?  
Who would like to solve a literary riddle? And help me out by passing a critical eye over my grammar and expressions? Warm thanks to anybody who does, it is intended for my non-commercial website. Here goes:
Antwort: 
Thanks a billion for your help - but the riddle is unanswered  #625057
von oliver53 (DE), 2011-10-24, 22:40  like dislike  Spam?  
Hi - the unknown author was a German nativ speaker but no German (there are not so many nations left). Before he got a famous he was an architect. His wrote novels as well as well known dramas. He loved the women. His prefered literal subject had been the psychological identity of a human being. He was a short pudgy man who ever looked fresh - which is another reference to his name.
Antwort: 
Did Max really look fresh all the time?  :-)  #625060
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2011-10-25, 02:02  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
von uffie (GH/KI), 2011-10-25, 00:04  like dislike  Spam?  
Gymnasiasten in Deutschland kommen auch heute noch in den Genuss von "Homo Faber"
Antwort: 
Riddle answered  #625074
von oliver53 (DE), 2011-10-25, 05:38  like dislike  Spam?  
Thanks to MichaelK (US) and ufriend (DE)! Es handelt sich um den schweizer Schriftsteller Max Frisch (1911-1991) und seinen Roman "Homo Faber", der mit einem beinahe-Absturz einer Super Constellation beginnt, allerdings nicht im Landanflug auf Chicago. I'll buy you a pint!
Chat:     
cheers!  #625082
von uffie (GH/KI), 2011-10-25, 07:48  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
starting point ?  #625186
von Lisa4dict loggedout, 2011-10-25, 21:25  like dislike  Spam?  99.11.160....
That wouldn't make for a good start to a story. At least not these days, it wouldn't.
... That's exactly where  
It's the very situation. this anything but dull situation that starts off (the story of) a famous opus of world literature
Chat:     
Fiction is a marvel  #625193
von oliver53 (DE), 2011-10-25, 22:18  like dislike  Spam?  
4;Lisa4dict loggedout - A novel is a world of its own. You never know its end while beginning with it. Even the trouble-free touchdown of a boring Airbus 330-202 (it may be Boing as well, dear Americans) can be an anything but dull situation. There is a setting, now it depends on the back story and the acting persons/hero. Let the story unfold. You want to be part of it? Why not join me at 2011/11/15, 8 pm, at thePublican, Fulton Market, Chicago?

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2024 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung