Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   SR   EL   EO   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   FI   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 For travel agency English: "saisonbezogen" »
« (sich) ausdifferenzieren    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
left-wingy  
von -Clarissa- (DE), Last modified: 2012-01-06, 14:22  like dislike  Spam?  
Just to be sure about the hyphen question, I looked up "left-wingy" -- and it looks like it isn't here.

Well, I found "left-wing" and ergo I know my hyphen in "left-wingy" is alright.

By the way, radio and tv host Ed Schultz likes to call himself a "lefty".

P.S.: This isn't a complain about not being able to find something. I just wanna share!
Antwort: 
"lefty-wingy" sounds silly   #635558
von zou (US), 2012-01-06, 14:26  like dislike  Spam?  
and has only 57 actual English ghits.

To call someone "left-wing" is often pejorative, just like calling someone "right-wing" can be. Calling oneself a "lefty" is okay, but by others it is also used disparagingly. Context is everything.
Google: lefties obama
Antwort: 
Ob das nicht eher eine US-Einschätzung ist?  #635562
von ddr (AT), 2012-01-06, 14:49  like dislike  Spam?  
Ich kann mir nicht vorstellen, dass in GB left-wing pej. ist, außer natürlich, man ist ein Tory oder right-winger.
Antwort: 
Not silly at all.  #635565
von -Clarissa- (DE), 2012-01-06, 14:50  like dislike  Spam?  
If I explain to a European what "liberal" means in the U.S., I tend to say: "progressive/ left-wingy". You can call somebody a left-wing Democrat, but I wouldn't say "I am left-wing". No, I would always say, "I am left-wingy", as synonym for "liberal". You can belong to the left wing of Obama's supporters, but you can't be just left-wing. So I really need "left-wingy". I use it, I need it, I like it.

But I don't want to obtrude it on anybody.
Antwort: 
I'm just an American hick.  #635566
von -Clarissa- (DE), Last modified: 2012-01-06, 14:57  like dislike  Spam?  
4;ddr You're perfectly right. I don't have any clue what happens in the U.K. -- if I make a suggestion, or ask a question, it will always be American. If you take my above (DE) seriously, you will always be confused. This is just a silly tag, but not me. If I could delete it, I sure would.
Antwort: 
Left wing (or left-wing if used attributively) is a noun and an adjective.  #635569
von Lllama (GB/AT), Last modified: 2012-01-06, 15:13  like dislike  Spam?  
I am left wing is perfectly ok. (No hyphen)
I agree with zou that left wingy sounds a bit silly. Although adjectives are often made by adding a y - yellowy, salty - that isn't the case with left wing.

As far as I can tell, liberal is often used as an insult in America ;-)
Any political designation can be an insult or merely a description, depending on the person using it and intonation.
Antwort: 
Clarissa: It's all a matter of opinion.  #635570
von zou (US), 2012-01-06, 15:18  like dislike  Spam?  
"Left-wingy" sounds silly to me, but sounds okay to you.

4;ddr: It all depends on context whether it's perceived as neutral, positive or negative.
Antwort: 
I think that political terms in the US are going to be silly (ignorant, stupid, ridiculous,  #635584
von schwerblech (US), Last modified: 2012-01-06, 16:34  like dislike  Spam?  
ludicrous....)  Just look at the fools they describe and who use them.  I mean, that bunch of scoundrels and scalawags couldn't catch a pig in a bathtub.
Chat:     
von uffie (GH/KI), 2012-01-06, 16:33  like dislike  Spam?  
haven't heard that one before - couldn't catch a pig in a bathtub.... great picture lol
Chat:     
"couldn't catch a pig"  #635591
von zou (US), Last modified: 2012-01-06, 16:53  like dislike  Spam?  
I couldn't find a phrase with "bathtub," but I did find a few referring to narrow alleys and corridors: Google: "couldn t catch a pig in a"
It sounds very folksy to me, and one of the references coincidentally is an old Pennsylvania folklore book: http://books.google.com/books?id=Y4rYAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA184&dq=%...
Antwort: 
I don't wanna politicize this forum, but...  #635595
von -Clarissa- (DE), 2012-01-06, 17:07  like dislike  Spam?  
... if you listen all the time to FOXnews, you will probably find all these terms negative.

4;Joanne: "As far as I can tell, liberal is often used as an insult in America ;-)"
You haven't by any  chance heard of "Stephanie Miller and her sexy liberals"? This is a very intelligent radio program and stage comedy and right now a huge success in the U.S.! Furthermore Steph's comedy album is #1 in the U.S.
Radio and tv host Thom Hartmann is one of the smartest Americans I've ever seen and he calls himself a liberal.
Antwort: 
Joanne  #635596
von zou (US), Last modified: 2012-01-06, 17:27  like dislike  Spam?  
You said: As far as I can tell, liberal is often used as an insult in America ;-)
Sad, but true. The word "liberal" has been reframed as a negative thing by many politicians and indirectly by the media, who quote these politicians and who rarely challenge their negative framing of the word. Conversely, the designation of "conservative" does not suffer the same taint. Both liberal and conservative should be simply descriptive terms, but in the US political arena "liberal" is often a loaded term - so much so, that politicians who consider their views to be generally liberal will hesitate to describe them in that way. They may pick more acceptable terms, like "mainstream" or "in line with how most of Americans feel," etc.
Antwort: 
Sad?  #635598
von -Clarissa- (DE), 2012-01-06, 17:45  like dislike  Spam?  
Last summer I was sad, yes -- flat-out politically depressed. But the mood has changed in the U.S.
Americans are waking up since last fall. After Boehner's 40$ payroll tax number it's really obvious.
In Texas, Alabama ect. LIBERAL sounds rather negative to many people (not to all!). But if you're for example in Chicago it's totally different. And on the whole the mood is changing throughout the country. As I said about Stephanie Miller's success.
Antwort: 
Still, instead of left-wingy I'd put left-wing or rather left-wing   #635615
von Proteus, 2012-01-07, 00:46  like dislike  Spam?  91.115.117....
Antwort: 
von uffie (GH/KI), 2012-01-07, 03:49  like dislike  Spam?  
thanks for clearing this up zou. And I agree with Proteus on using simply (rather) left-wing
Antwort: 
Yes, I prefer left-wing -- but sometimes it doesn't fit.  #635632
von -Clarissa- (DE), Last modified: 2012-01-07, 10:09  like dislike  Spam?  
AGAIN: You can call somebody a "left-wing Democrat", but I wouldn't say "I am left-wing". No, I would always say, "I am left-wingy", as synonym for "liberal". You can belong to the left wing of Obama's supporters, but you can't be just left-wing. So I really need "left-wingy" as adjective.

The reason why I brought this here up was my footnote: "In the U.S. 'liberal' means: progressive, left-wingy". I had used the term "liberal", and then said to myself: "Wait maybe people outside the U.S. misunderstand this!" So I involved the short footnote. I like "left-wingy" in his case, for it spares a bunch of words. I'd really hate to have a blown-up footnote here.
Antwort: 
Perhaps leftist would be a compromise  http://www.auburn.edu/~johnspm/gloss/left-wing  #635728
von Proteus, 2012-01-07, 21:20  like dislike  Spam?  194.166.0...
Antwort: 
von WingDing (US), 2012-01-07, 23:42  like dislike  Spam?  
I almost always use "progressive", but sometimes I'll say, "I'm left of the Left".
Antwort: 
von WingDing (US), Last modified: 2012-01-07, 23:51  like dislike  Spam?  
"Left-wingy", to my ears, sounds like a timid embrace of left-wingness rather than a full-throated acceptance of some political ideal. To me it is similar to saying something like, "I'm kind of left-wing, but don't tell anybody, okay?" By the way, it's perfectly fine to be a lukewarm lefty, I'm just giving you an idea of what "left-wingy" sounds like to me.

Youtube: vtntDoDoEbQ
Antwort: 
Leftist, leftist, leftist ... um ...  #635767
von -Clarissa- (DE), 2012-01-08, 00:53  like dislike  Spam?  
Sounds kinda funny to my ears, but okay, I can't afford to be intolerant after all those liberal vocabularies.
Why yes, I don't belong to those who are like, "HA, WE GOTTA TOPPLE THE WHOLE SYSTEM!" In a certain forum there is a young hot-head to whom I try to explain, All or nothing at all might fire back after November...
No, I'm not lukewarm, you wouldn't say that if you knew me better. But maybe I like the WINGY thing because I don't wanna reinvent the wheel.

Actually I can't complain; yesterday I really thought, "Oh my God, the right-wingers might gonna kill me here!" LOL
Antwort: 
In that case . . .   #635773
von WingDing (US), Last modified: 2012-01-08, 01:25  like dislike  Spam?  
Try something to just confuse the hell out of them. It's more fun than trying to pin a label on yourself that accurately describes your particular politics. I recommend "moderate Jacobin".
Antwort: 
Oui Monsieur!  #635819
von -Clarissa- (DE), 2012-01-08, 13:40  like dislike  Spam?  
That's what I'm always saying: "I'm not guillotining so very often -- other Jacobins have more blood on their outfits!"
Well, currently I have one very young Chicagoan occupier who told me he was afraid they might bring him to Guantanamo one day and I'm trying to explain him 8,000 characters long comments aren't gonna ease his pain. Then there is a guy who's always like, "I don't wanna pay no damn taxes!" -- and I'm gonna pad down his pockets a little LOL...
So I can't confuse them with Jacobins. Anyway I'm rather a Leibnitzist if it comes to 18th century -- as believe in the old dancing masters' books' gallant philosophy of the very early 1700s.
Antwort: 
Clarissa  #635926
von WingDing (US), 2012-01-08, 22:19  like dislike  Spam?  
More power to you. Dazzle them with Leibniz. :-)
Antwort: 
Thanks!  #635929
von -Clarissa- (DE), 2012-01-08, 22:41  like dislike  Spam?  
You know, I'm old-fashioned. He always signed "Leibnitz" and so spell I. But it's not the official spelling today.
Antwort: 
Progressive - pervertsive  #733648
von gennady1 (UN), 2013-11-12, 04:42  like dislike  Spam?  
When 2 men have sex together and can marry liberals call it "progressive" like it is somehow a "progress" for human race. But I would call it a "pervertsive". Not sure if such English word exists. I also call left-wingers "liberal lunatics" because they are driven by ideology aka dreams aka "Hope and Change", unlike rational common sense. Just look at Obama Care disaster.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten