Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   SR   EO   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   CS   DA   PT   FI   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Es ist nicht sein Steckenpferd. »
« Is this sentence grammatically correct?    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Es ist nicht sein Steckenpferd.  
anonymous, 2012-01-28, 13:03  like dislike  Spam?  79.237.214...
How common would it be to say "It's not his pet issue." (/hobby horse) ?
(First hits on google refer to dictionaries~)

I'm mainly interested in the use of it in the US and UK.
Chat:     
hobby horse ....  =  favourite topic  #639163
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), 2012-01-28, 13:23  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
cup of tea?  #639169
von Ursinus (GB), 2012-01-28, 13:48  like dislike  Spam?  
In BE, one's cup of tea = what interests or suits one (Oxford English Dict.), e.g. "Five hours of Wagner isn't his cup of tea". Is that the meaning you had in mind?
Antwort: 
anonymous, 2012-01-28, 14:02  like dislike  Spam?  79.237.214...
Yes, this is what I had in mind.

Does this mean "pet issue" and "hobby horse" are generally not being used in the UK?
Antwort: 
von MichaelK (US), 2012-01-28, 14:13  like dislike  Spam?  
Don't know about UK usage, but "pet issue" and "hobby horse" to express a like or dislike would be awkward constructions in American English (AE). Because "issue" is often understood as "problem" or "argument," it sounds strange when prefaced with "pet." "Hobby horse" is so old-fashioned that many people under 30 might not even know what you're talking about. "Cup of tea" is good for AE. "Not his thing" or "just not his thing" would work too, but that's very informal and close to slang.
Chat:     
UK use - hobby horse for favourite topic ....  #639173
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), 2012-01-28, 14:13  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
von fuggaz (DE), 2012-01-28, 15:59  like dislike  Spam?  
Thanks so far.

Only case missing is:

Is "pet issue" as weird for Britons as for Americans?
4;sunfunlili: I assume your answer means "commonly used" or could it mean "used, but old-fashioned" as well?
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2012-01-28, 16:12  like dislike  Spam?  
"Pet issue" is fine in BE - although I would tend not to use it with a "not". "It's a pet issue of his" sounds normal to me. "It's not a pet issue of his" sounds less normal, although it could be OK in the right context.
"Cup of tea" is something I more commonly associate with negatives "that's not my cup of tea" being more common than "that's just my cup of tea".
"His thing" and "not his thing" are both good in BE and very neutral (anyone might say them and they work in a lot of contexts).
"Hobby horse" works slightly differently: http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/hobby-horse_1 It's something other people talk too much about. I agree that it's less common amogst young people (in the UK too).
Antwort: 
merci  #639191
von fuggaz (DE), 2012-01-28, 16:22  like dislike  Spam?  
Alright, thank you all for the clarifications.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten