Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   NL   HU   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   IS   ES   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Pfeife »
« Funktionsentscheidend    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Pfeife  
von johnno (AU), Last modified: 2012-03-08, 01:16  like dislike  Spam?  
Most have left and those remaining 'könnte man in der Pfeife rauchen'. I have not come across this before. 'Not worth much'?
Antwort: 
von Christophorus, 2012-03-08, 01:29  like dislike  Spam?  62.178.98....
I've never heard that phrase before, but I guess the meaning is just "those remaining are very few". A more populare way of putting it would be "those remaining 'kann man an den Fingern einer Hand abzählen'
Antwort: 
jmd. in der Pfeife rauchen können  #645755
von Magadan (DE), 2012-03-08, 02:09  like dislike  Spam?  
a colloquially idiom for someone to deal with easily who is no match for oneself or someone / something that is good for nothing ,eg a contract.
Antwort: 
Thanks both, especially Magadan!  #645756
von johnno (AU), 2012-03-08, 02:10  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
von wandle (GB), 2012-03-08, 10:37  like dislike  Spam?  
Interestingly, the English expression 'Put that in your pipe and smoke it!' means 'There's a challenge that is enough - or more than enough - to keep you occupied!'
In both sayings, the root idea is that something you can smoke in your pipe is an easy or trivial matter to handle.
The English expression, being ironic, means the matter is too much to handle.
Antwort: 
wandle -  #645783
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2012-03-08, 11:36  like dislike  Spam?  
that isn't how I would use that phrase. I know it as it's described here - http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/pipe?q=pipe - "used to indicate that the person addressed will have to accept a particular situation, even if it is unwelcome."

I suppose there are situations where both definitions could be said to be true, but I would only understand it to mean that's the way it is.
Antwort: 
von wandle (GB), 2012-03-08, 13:17  like dislike  Spam?  
4; Joanne: I would only understand it to mean that's the way it is.
If the situation were something the person addressed could easily accept, there would be no problem.
Thus this saying can only bear the meaning you mention because by implication the situation is something the person could not handle within their existing outlook or frame of reference.
Antwort: 
When I wrote that's the way it is,  #645805
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2012-03-08, 13:33  like dislike  Spam?  
it was really just a shortened form of the dictionary definition, not an explicit explanation of how I understand the phrase.

I took your definition there's a challenge that is enough - or more than enough - to keep you occupied to actually be a concrete challenge, ie: somebody telling somebody else to do something, rather than being a situation by which they would be mentally challenged.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung