Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   SR   EL   EO   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   FI   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 I never want to give it to him »
« Fehler?    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Rampant cell phone tracking abuse in the U.S.  
von Jim46 (US), 2012-05-09, 02:58  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
Well, I can't get too excited about this.  #655390
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2012-05-09, 04:12  like dislike  Spam?  
If you carry a turned-on radio transmitter and use it periodically to make a radio transmission, how could you possibly have a "reasonable expectation of privacy?"
Chat:     
You can't.  #655392
von Jim46 (US), 2012-05-09, 04:16  like dislike  Spam?  
But doesn't it bother you, if someone is recording your daily travels, and how long you stop
at each place?  And what comes next?
Chat:     
When treated like a criminal, do as professional criminals do;-)  #655396
von parker11 (DE), 2012-05-09, 07:05  like dislike  Spam?  
Don't use cell phones at all;-) On second thought: this will make you even more suspicious then, right?
Chat:     
and don't use a credit card either .....   or store card etc.  #655399
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), Last modified: 2012-05-09, 07:44  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
and don't rent a car either … and don't stay at a hotel.  #655400
von parker11 (DE), Last modified: 2012-05-09, 07:59  like dislike  Spam?  
Become a vagabond or get yourself fake ID.
Chat:     
von Dracs (DE), 2012-05-09, 09:17  like dislike  Spam?  
Every mobile phone reports its location in response to stealthy pings (stille SMS in German). That's what local authorities use most in Germany to track "suspisious subjects". Some brands (Apple) maintain a file on the phone to keep track of all the locations, which can be read out stealthily by everybody who knows how to.do it.
Chat:     
sunfunlili + parker + dracs  #655429
von Wenz (DE), 2012-05-09, 10:22  like dislike  Spam?  
Jetzt weiß ich, warum ich immer noch frei rumlauf und die Polizei mich nicht kriegt!
Ich habe weder ein Handy noch eine Kreditkarte.
Chat:     
Jim46: it would bother me only if I had no cell phone with me.  #655458
von MichaelK (US), 2012-05-09, 12:44  like dislike  Spam?  
Some shopping malls in the U.S track customer cell phones now to figure out who buys what, when and where. The euphemism is "mobile phone survey to enhance the customer's shopping experience." Yea, right.
Chat:     
Dracs  #655487
von Catesse (AU), 2012-05-09, 14:57  like dislike  Spam?  
09.17: Can this be done when the phone is turned off?
I bought a mobile about ten years ago, when I was travelling and sometimes landed in situations that could have been hazardous. It was always turned off, except at pre-arranged times, when my husband could ring me. This one died, and I did not replace it until about three years ago. Pre-paid mobile on a plan costing a basic $30 a year. It is always turned off, unless we want to make a call, which would usually be if were were out driving and the car broke down miles from anywhere. (Fortunately, the car is a good little beast, as it is quite likely that there would be no mobile coverage just where it broke down, if it did,) Even our children did not know that we owned a mobile, until recently, when we had a minor disaster, and it was needed.
About six months ago, the server rang me - on our landline - and asked if I had lost it, as I had not used it for more than a year, and they could not contact me on it. I think that $30 is reasonable disaster insurance. Anyone trying to track my phone would get very bored. It sits on my dressing table, week in, week out. Mostly turned off, and sometimes not charged. Would it still be possible to track it?
Chat:     
Catesse  #655497
von Jim46 (US), 2012-05-09, 15:49  like dislike  Spam?  
According to the article, it must be turned on to track it.  This could change, as electronics become
ever more clever, and consume less power to keep a standby function active.  As I understand it,
the OnStar system will soon be, or is now installed on all GM vehicles.  These vehicles will be trackable,
even if you do not subscribe to the service.  Intentional disablement is required to defeat it.

I don't own or need a cell phone, nor do I need OnStar.  My concerns are these "big brother" activities,
that are often in violation of our laws.  Is it too much for me to expect our government to obey our laws?  
If not checked, it will only escalate.
Chat:     
Jim46:   #655518
von parker11 (DE), 2012-05-09, 17:33  like dislike  Spam?  
Is it too much for me to expect our government to obey our laws?
Yes, it is. Happens all the time.
Chat:     
Parker  #655519
von Jim46 (US), 2012-05-09, 17:39  like dislike  Spam?  
Yes, a certain amount must be tolerated.  But our gov't is "crossing the line" on many fronts.
We all know to what an out-of-control government can lead to.
Chat:     
GM  #655574
von Catesse (AU), 2012-05-10, 05:40  like dislike  Spam?  
I presume that GM means General Motors, not Genetically Modified. :-)
The problem is that everything can be used for either good or bad. It is useful to have a tracker installed to find stolen cars, especially ones that have been used in criminal activity. Likewise with mobiles; great, if interception forestalls a terrorist attack.
The greatest protection against government (or other) intrusion into privacy is that it is logistically impossible to track all of the people all of the time. Technically, it can be done, but it is not feasible to finance the human resources to analyse the information.
I had an interesting experience about 20 years ago. Somebody (now deceased) with high-level contacts rang me up and asked me if I thought that my landline was being tapped, as I had been reported to one of the Security Services for making inquiries about somebody who had been "flagged". In the course of my routine research, I had asked an innocent question about somebody who did not seem particularly important. When I heard about this, it immediately alerted me to the fact that he was worth tracking, and I found an MI6 agent. Very interesting.  Of course, since my contact telephoned me, he obviously did not think my phone was being tapped. I told him that if ASIO had sufficient staff to waste time tracking harmless little old me they could take a cut in their budget. I wonder if that got back to them. It was all a bit of a giggle.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten