Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   SR   EL   EO   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   FI   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 bestand darin ... zu belegen »
« feel overcrowded    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
to blank sb.  
von Windfall (GB), 2012-06-02, 18:19  like dislike  Spam?  
Means to intentionally ignore someone. For instance, if you are walking down the street and see someone you know, blanking them would mean to act as if they were invisible (e.g. you look through them), whilst it is at the same time clear that you must have seen them.  It mainly involves no eye contact and not talking or reacting to someone. Definition 2 here seems reasonable to me: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=blank
I was watching dubbed TV and one of the characters said "Sie schliessen mich aus" describing a situation where a group of girls were blanking her. Is that a good enough translation to go in the dict? Is there a better term for this in German?
Antwort: 
von ddr (AT), 2012-06-02, 18:28  like dislike  Spam?  
Sie schneiden mich?
Ignorieren mich?
Für sie bin ich Luft? / Sie tun, als wäre ich Luft?

Jdn. ausschließen dosn't necessarily happen without looks or words.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), Last modified: 2012-06-02, 18:49  like dislike  Spam?  
Blanking is intentional. "Fuer sie bin ich Luft" sounds like it covers the overall meaning, but it doesn't sound active enough. What does "sie schneiden mich" cover?
Here's an example use of blanking:
My ex was at the party.
What did you do?
I blanked him.
(This would mean that your ex had noticed you and seemed to want to intiate social contact, but you'd stopped any contact taking place by purposely and obviously ignoring him, and, for instance, turning away if he looked like he was going to talk to you. If your ex came and stood in front of you and talked and you continued acting as if he wasn't there, that's not really the true meaning of blanking, it's where you successfully cut off social contact before it has a chance to start - and do so intentionally. Likewise, if your ex had made no attempt to initiate any form of social contact with you, you don't get the chance to blank him.)
Antwort: 
links liegen lassen  #658667
von Wenz (DE), 2012-06-02, 22:07  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
bei jdm wegschauen (z.B.: Den / Die kenne ich nur vom Wegschauen ...)  #658669
von Proteus-, 2012-06-02, 22:30  like dislike  Spam?  178.190.227...
Antwort: 
I've never heard that expression  #658673
von WingDing (US), Last modified: 2012-06-03, 01:22  like dislike  Spam?  
Is it common in Britain or is it recent slang or am I just out of touch?
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2012-06-03, 10:05  like dislike  Spam?  
4;WingDing It's very common in Britain. I've heard it used by people in their teens and in their 50s. I didn't think it was UK only, as the person who entered it in urban dictionary used the word "dude", which made me assume he was American, but it may be more common in the UK or even UK only.

4;everyone, "links liegen lassen" looks quite promising, but it bothers me that it's already in the dict as "send someone to Coventry". That means not talk to them and I would use that phrase in different circumstances from "to blank sb". Adults blank each other (it's very rude, but it's still something that adults do, as it can be quite subtle).

Sending someone to Coventry is something mainly done by children and teenagers (if adults do it, they tend to say "I'm not talking to him" rather than "I'm sending him to Coventry", it amounts to the same thing, but sending people to Coventry has (at least in my mind) associations with the way children do it). In sending people to Coventry, ou don't ignore the person (that translation strikes me as wrong), instead you refuse to speak to them (sometimes while paying a great del of nonverbal attention to them). When young children send people to Coventry, they often make an exception for the words "I'm sending you to Coventry" or "I'm not talking to you" (often repeated in reply to all attempts to start a conversation) or saying "Tell X I'm not talking to her". or "Tell X...." to a third party to communicate with the person anyway. Sending to Coventry can happily be accompanied by glares or other signals that you're cross with the person.
Blanking someone, on the other hand, is closer to ignoring someone (except that I would say that in English ignoring someone sounds less intentional than blanking someone).
"Wegschauen" would be good, except that you don't tend to look away, you tend to look through people (bringing us back to "so tun, als ob jdn. Luft waere"). If I were going to rephrase "he blanked me" in English, I think I'd say "he looked right through me (as if I weren't there)".
Antwort: 
? durch jdn. hindurchschauen / -sehen  #658688
von Wenz (DE), 2012-06-03, 11:51  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
Like Wingding, I've never heard it used. Never seen it in print, either.  #658694
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2012-06-03, 13:43  like dislike  Spam?  
Perhaps it was a short-lived slang term I missed. Perhaps it's brand-new. Either way, it appears to be fairly rare.
Antwort: 
Current usage this side of the Atlantic:    blank vt   (=ignore)   [person]   ignorieren    #658698
von Proteus-, 2012-06-03, 14:10  like dislike  Spam?  91.115.114....
http://dictionary.reverso.net/english-german/blank

2 [transitive] British English informal to ignore someone who you would usually greet or speak to:
Last time I saw Mike Adams he completely blanked me.
http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/blank_3
http://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/blank_25#blan...
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/blank?q=blank

blank Verb. To rudely ignore. E.g."Despite being introduced 5 minutes earlier, he just blanked me and continued talking.."   http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/b.htm
Chat:     
Is it possible that one can get blanked but not really blank someone?  #658702
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2012-06-03, 14:31  like dislike  Spam?  
In most of the example sentences given, someone is being blanked rather than doing the blanking. I can tell you that "He saw Tracy across the room and blanked her" would have a U.S. editor whip out his red pen and scribble 'he did what???' furiously. It doesn't help that 'blanked' can be a prudish substitute for strong language, at least in AE.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2012-06-03, 19:09  like dislike  Spam?  
In that case it must be British only, as it's perfectly common in British speech. I'd be happy to call it colloquial, as it's definitely towards the informal end of the specturm, but nor would I hesitate to use the term in more formal settings, as it's not that colloquial either.
The sentence "I saw Tracy across the room and blanked her" doesn't really work. You can't blank someone unless they make some sort of effort to initiate contact with you. You could say "Tracy smiled at me, but I blanked her."
I like the addition of "rudely" to ignore. That seems to cover it. There is definitvely an element of being rude in it. Proteus's definitions are good. Is there any word we can add to ignorieren to give the same effect? Does "unhoeflich ignorieren" work?
4;Michael,  Americans definitely also blank people, as it was an American show I was watching, you must either call it something else or categorise the various behaviours that can be involved in blanking someone under a variety of different headings (in British English, blanking sb would always be understood to have this meaning,  Firstly, we're culturally a lot freer with swear words than Americans so would be likely to say the actual word or a lower grade euphemism for it and secondly, if we did want to imply an unused swear word, I think we might say "blankety blanked" instead (there was a famous game show called blankety blank were contestants had to guess the missing word).
Chat:     
Windfall: No question, Americans intentionally ignore ("shun") others as well.  #658711
von MichaelK (US), 2012-06-03, 19:29  like dislike  Spam?  
My observation was only that I've never heard or seen it called "blanked." Could be my failing to notice it. But I don't think so, especially with WingDing having the same experience.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), Last modified: 2012-06-03, 19:49  like dislike  Spam?  
4;Michael, it's not one of those expressions you'd miss. As far as I remember, when I first heard it and realised what it meant I pretty much immediately though "wow, that's a useful expression, I'll have to remember that one!" - the reason I initially assumed it was US too, was precisely because it is such a useful expression. On reflection, I guess you say "ignored", e.g. "Tracy smiled at me, but I ignored her", in which case maybe it should be:
to blank sb. [Br.] [coll.] - jdn. ignorieren [absichtlich und unhoeflich]
I guess I've been protesting against "ignorieren" because blanking sb. feels more specific than that to me (you can ignore somone in more situations than you can blank them, for instance "Rachel raised her hand to answer the question, but the teacher ignored her" can't be switched to "but the teacher blanked her", the teacher could only blank Rachel if they were in a social situation and the teacher refused to give any sign that she knew Rachel).
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2012-06-03, 20:49  like dislike  Spam?  
I've just noticed this is sort of already in the dict as to blank - ignorieren.
I've made a couple of amendments (inc [Br.]) to try and improve the entry. If anyone else has a better idea, feel free to make changes. Mine is just an attempt. I find this one hard.
Antwort: 
Ich würde noch einfügen >>>> z. B.  #658722
von Wenz (DE), 2012-06-03, 20:58  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2012-06-03, 21:14  like dislike  Spam?  
Hmm, I was trying to express that it's precisely in a situation where one person goes to greet another that there's an opportunity to blank someone. You can blank someone when they smile at you, wave at you, say hello. Ignoring people at other times isn't blanking them.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten