|   Alle Sprachen   
EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   SK   NL   PT   FI   LA   ES   HU   NO   BG   HR   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   SQ   EL   BS   |   FR   SK   IS   ES   NL   HU   RO   PL   SV   NO   RU   FI   SQ   IT   DA   CS   PT   HR   BG   LA   EO   SR   BS   TR   EL

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|New Website|About|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Natives to the fore: There is one "as" to many,... »
« I speak with our transport partner and keep you...    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Natives to the fore: There is one "as" to many, isn't it?  
von Baccalaureus (DE), Last modified: 2012-06-18, 14:38  like dislike  Spam?  
XYZ is committed to detailed and accurate production – this type of hidden perfection is the reason why we remain as the global number one supplier of whatever systems.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2012-06-18, 14:59  like dislike  Spam?  
Yes. We remain the...
Antwort: 
There is ..., isn't there?  #660803
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2012-06-18, 15:07  like dislike  Spam?  
Also ... is the reason we remain ...

Although it's not wrong, the why is not necessary and I think it sounds much better without it.
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/reason?region=us&q=rea... (down at the bottom).
Chat:     
Thank you.  #660804
von Baccalaureus (DE), 2012-06-18, 15:12  like dislike  Spam?  
By the way. Once I said, "it is, isn't?" in a conversation, I was laughed at and called a pansy. Regardless of that being true or not,  don't men say that?
Antwort: 
It is, isn't it? or That is a giraffe in that car, isn't it? and variations are all perfectly normal for both men and women, in my experience.  #660805
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2012-06-18, 15:26  like dislike  Spam?  
Perhaps it was something to do with the rest of the sentence and the way it all connected together.
Or possibly the others felt that showing doubt is somehow not masculine.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2012-06-18, 15:28  like dislike  Spam?  
I wasn't aware that men didn't say that - although I've heard  reports that men use fewer tag questions than women (i.e. women use more of the ones they don't really mean, that are just aimed at keeping the other party engaged in the conversation).

Non-camp men generally seem to avoid the words "fabulous", "lovely" and "wonderful", but I couldn't tell you if there are other words they avoid. They also seem to avoid pronouncing the letter S in certain ways (particularly lisping), so maybe unintentionally you fell foul of some sort of concept of appropriate pronounciation.

There are also certain sections of society where the only acceptable tag question is "innit?".(They're quite similar to the people who speak Kiezdeutsch).
Antwort: 
It was something like, "This cake is really nice." - "It is, isn't it?"  #660807
von Baccalaureus (DE), 2012-06-18, 15:28  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
I think the trend in situations like that is just to say Yes, it is, (or just Mmm because you've got a mouthful of cake).  #660815
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2012-06-18, 15:58  like dislike  Spam?  
So perhaps it sounded old fashioned. I would probably use the question tag, but I'm quite old fashioned in lots of ways ;-))
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2012-06-18, 16:22  like dislike  Spam?  
I agree with Joanne. There's nothing wrong with saying "It is, isn't it" there, but it does sound a bit  like something out of Miss Marple (the over 70s would probably have been delighted with that statement and called you a lovely polite young man - unlucky you weren't with an older age group at the time (I have a whole raft of phrases that get me called a lovely polite young lady, and a promise from an octagenarian that I'll still be "young Laura" to him however old I get)).
Antwort: 
von wandle (GB), Last modified: 2012-06-19, 03:25  like dislike  Spam?  
'It is, isn't it?' expresses not only agreement on the topic, but also identification with the other person's feelings.
It is thus positive and supportive, but does not advance the conversation at all.
Some people may feel the supportiveness is too effusive, and the lack of movement too passive.

It can also be used as a means of pressing a reluctant person to agree with something obviously or allegedly true.  
'This is what you removed from the premises. It is, isn't it?'

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2024 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung