Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   NL   SK   HU   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   NL   PL   SQ   IS   RU   ES   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 übernehmen »
« and make sure you bring an umbrella with you    

English-German Translation of
auf einer insel

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
auf einer insel  
von paula266, 2012-09-24, 10:00  like dislike  Spam?  87.243.139....
hey,

is it I was in or on Corsica, Hawaii, Mallorca....? Or is it different from island to island or is there a certain rule? cheers!
Chat:     
on an/the island of Hawaii / Majorca / Corsica  .....  #674470
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), 2012-09-24, 10:17  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
small islands: ON  , big islands: a tendency of saying IN (because it's often perceived as a country)  #674476
anonymous, 2012-09-24, 10:57  like dislike  Spam?  77.181.222....
Antwort: 
Individual cases  #674490
von Catesse (AU), 2012-09-24, 12:11  like dislike  Spam?  
General principle given by anonymous is correct. But it comes down to what seems to sound OK.
In Crete - although it is divided between two countries. In Malta, although it is quite small. On the Isle of Man. On Helgoland. In Hawaii. In Sicily. In Borneo On Corsica, I think, but I would have to give that one some thought. There could also be cases where it might vary, according to whether you have in mind the geography and ecology with reference to the surface area, or the political and financial situation with reference to the people and society.
Antwort: 
Catesse  #674495
von in-cognito, 2012-09-24, 12:54  like dislike  Spam?  86.139.13....
Crete is divided between two countries? Are you thinking of Cyprus?
Antwort: 
Catesse  #674503
von 5dotstoadime, 2012-09-24, 13:03  like dislike  Spam?  92.40.35...
it is "on the island"  how complicated can you make things? Reference to geography, people, ecology what a complete nonsense
Antwort: 
5dotstoadime:  #674505
von parker11 (DE), 2012-09-24, 13:09  like dislike  Spam?  
Guidelines im Forum:
HÖFLICHKEIT
Das sollte eigentlich nicht speziell erwähnt werden müssen, aber ab und zu gibt es Benutzer, die der Meinung sind, dass gute Umgangsformen im "anonymen" Internet nicht notwendig sind. Ganz so "anonym" ist das Internet aber nicht (siehe unten). Bitte behandle die anderen Forums-Teilnehmer so, wie auch du behandelt werden möchtest.
Antwort: 
in-cognito. Thanks  #674506
von Catesse (AU), Last modified: 2012-09-24, 13:45  like dislike  Spam?  
Yes, of course. Sorry. I was in a hurry to do something else, and my mind slipped a cog. Cyprus, of course.
4; parker: I have been tracking our dotty anonymous contributor for some time. Apart from his manners, his English is not as good as he thinks it is. From time to time he writes something that completely gives the game away, although he appears to be transmitting from various places around the north of England. I suspect that he is texting from some sort of mobile phone or iPad, which may be why his messages are mercifully short. (I cannot keep up with the multiplicity of these new gadgets.)
I have been wondering if he is an avatar of that German who was contributing from Kiwiland for a while a year or so ago. Probably not, but his style is very similar.
PS: pick the typically German error in each of the posts by 5dots in this thread.
Antwort: 
von ddr (AT), Last modified: 2012-09-24, 16:11  like dislike  Spam?  
Wir verwenden ja auf Deutsch auch 'in' für Inseln, die Länder (oder Provinzen) sind: In Island, in Malta, in Sizilien,  etc. und 'auf' für Inseln, die als Teil eines größeren Landes gedacht werden. (Und manchmal geht auch beides - auf der Insel Malta, im Staat Malta. Die Diferenzierung ist allerdings nicht jedermanns Sache.)
Im übrigen gebe ich euch recht, was 5dots...' Ton angeht.
Antwort: 
Tippdings (16:11) - Differenzierung  #674667
von Proteus-, 2012-09-25, 23:33  like dislike  Spam?  91.115.115....

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung