Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   SR   EL   EO   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IT   CS   DA   PT   IS   HR   FI   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Arbeitszeugnis »
« Ist folgende Frage zur anschließenden Antwort r...    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Please Help me   
von wwp7, 2012-10-04, 17:35  like dislike  Spam?  93.199.112....
Pls check this and help me:
Aborigines are called the typical inhabitants of Australia, they are in Down Under since 60.000 years. While Europeans discovered Australia there lived about 30.000 Aborigines there. They were hunters and ate Plants Beers and Insects. They had weapons out of stone and wood. They only used "erdfarben" . The Most of them lived in little logs.When the colonist came to Australia there were about 500 logs and a lot of different languages. Sometimes if there wasn't food or water they moved.For there Religion they used tattoos or ornaments. Before a young boy as a strong man recognized was, he had to do a daring. 1967 all Australia's according to law same and they get civil rights. The aboriginal culture is, according to many explorer, the oldest human culture, which is still living today. But.... To speak of the Aborigines is difficult. Because the Aboriginal in the middle of Australia have to be differentiate from those in the hot north. And they are not the same  arts and religions than in the cooler south. The Ayers Rock, is firmly rooted in the culture of the Aborigines. For about 20,000 years ago there lived the tribe of the Anangu. With them is the three-kilometer long and two kilometers wide rock Uluru. Even the didgeridoo, the best known instrument of the Aborigines, is in direct communication with the mountain.
There a still 517,000 aborigines, about 2.5% of Australia's population
A quarter of Aboriginal people still live in the outback. Soemtimes if there isnt food or water they move. They have a simple view of the life
For huntig, wich is very important they use tools like spears, boomerangs
Mens hunt large animals
The Aborigines were hunter, collector and sometimes fishermen.
Typical food  is for example, kangaroo, emu, wombat, snakes or birds.
Antwort: 
Just a few corrections. Maybe someone else will be better able to help you.  #675747
von ddr (AT), Last modified: 2012-10-04, 22:56  like dislike  Spam?  
Erdfarben: earth pigments

The NATIVE inhabitants of Australia are called Aborigines. They HAVE LIVED in Down Under FOR 60.000 years. WHEN Europeans discovered Australia  about 30.000 Aborigines lived there. They were hunters and ate plants, berries (?) and insects. Theyr weapons were made out of stone and wood. They only used "erdfarben" . Most of them lived in little logs.When the colonistS came to Australia there were about 500 logs and a lot of different languages. Sometimes if there was NO / NOT ENOUGH food or water they moved.For their religion they used tattoos or ornaments. Before a young boy WAS recognized as a (strong) man, he had to do SOMETHING daring. IN 1967 according to THE law all AustraliaNs  WERE DECLARED EQUAL  and THE ABORIGINES  GOT civil rights.
The aboriginal culture is, according to many explorerS/HISTORIANS (?), the oldest human culture, which is still ALIVE today. But....
To speak ABOUT the Aborigines is difficult, because the AboriginalS LIVING in the CENTER of Australia have to be differentiateD from those in the hot north. And they DON'T HAVE the same  arts and religion AS THOSE in the cooler south. Ayers Rock, is firmly rooted in the culture of the Aborigines. For about 20,000 years THERE lived the tribe of the Anangu. With them is the three-kilometer long and two kilometers wide rock Uluru. (WITH WHOM?) Even the didgeridoo, the best known instrument of the Aborigines, IS DIRECTLY LINKED TO the mountain.
There are still 517,000 aborigines, about 2.5% of Australia's population
A quarter of Aboriginal people still liveS in the outback. Somtimes if there isn't enough food or water they move. They have a simple view of LIFE.
For huntig, wich is very important they use tools like spears AND boomerangs.
MEN hunt large animals
The Aborigines were hunterS, GATHERERS and sometimes fishermen.
THEIR typical food  is, for example, MEAT FROM  kangarooS, emuS, wombatS, snakes or birds.
Antwort: 
a few suggestions for ddr's version  #675771
von in-cognito, 2012-10-04, 21:46  like dislike  Spam?  91.1.44...
60,000; 30,000; for their religion; centre (British English); Ayers Rock is ..."; wombats; there are still ...; all Australians ...; sometimes;
Antwort: 
Where to start?  #675795
von Catesse (AU), Last modified: 2012-10-05, 06:20  like dislike  Spam?  
4; wwp7: Your English might not be good enough to understand all this; if not, please ask for help.
ddr's corrections are good, but by no means the end of the story.
First, the full stop in English is used as a decimal point, not to divide numbers over one thousand. Thus it would be 30,000. But the number is also wrong.
So: "for 60,000 years". (Near enough, although estimates go up to 80,000.) When Europeans discovered (settled in) Australia, there were at the very least 300,000 indigenous inhabitants; estimates run as high as 750,000 (even 1.2 million - that is 1,200,000)
Note also that the Australian continent was "discovered" by Europeans by1606 at the very latest, but not settled until 1788, which is probably the date you mean.
ddr: "their" not "theyr", although the original form of the sentence is not too bad.
What in the world is "erdfarben"? Do you mean the red and yellow ochre pigments used to decorate their shields and boomerangs and sacred objects, stain dilly bags and paint their bodies for ceremonies?
They did not live in "logs", or at least not as a general rule. If the weather was good, they slept in the open, sometimes around campfires. Sometimes they lived in caves, sometimes they built temporary shelters of brushwood and other vegetation. However, I think that you are using "logs" to mean "tribes" or "clans" or family units. The statement that "When the colonists came to Australia, there were about 500 logs" makes no sense otherwise. Wherever did that come from?
They did not move simply "sometimes", they were inherently nomadic, although they did follow regular seasonal patterns of movement related to food and water.
The initiation of young boys into manhood (as a warrior) did not usually involve performing some daring feat. They were separated from the women and children of the clan, instructed in the history and creation legends of the clan and, depending on region, were circumcised, sometimes subincised, and/or had a front tooth knocked out.
"Ayer's Rock is" Drop the comma before "is".
Uluru is not "with" Ayer's Rock. Uluru is the original indigenous name of the Rock, and it is once again the preferred term. It does not measure 3 km by 5 km; its total circumference is about 9.4 km. (I walked every foot-blistering metre of that.) Wikipedia(EN): Uluru
The didgeridoo has no particular unique connection with Uluru.
"For huntiNg, wHich is very important, (comma)"
Perhaps outside the scope of this work, but for your information: for tribes that lived near the sea or along a river, fish and shellfish were an important part of the diet, as were turtles, dugong and crocodiles.
And, when referring to the Aborigines, or Aboriginal Australians, always a capital letter. Otherwise, "indigenous Australians".
Antwort: 
Log confusion -  #675801
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2012-10-05, 07:17  like dislike  Spam?  
I was confused initially but then I realised - Stamm/Stämme :-)
Antwort: 
 Joanne  #675803
von Catesse (AU), Last modified: 2012-10-05, 07:23  like dislike  Spam?  
Genius. I realised that this came from incautious use of a dictionary, with no understanding or cross-checking, but I simply could not imagine what word could be involved.  
Actually, "log" is a fairly poor equivalent for "Stamm", although there are circumstances in which it could be used. (This translation is not in dict. Perhaps that is just as well.)
Antwort: 
My favourite similar mistake on this site was a few years ago ...  #675806
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2012-10-05, 07:42  like dislike  Spam?  
when someone describing the origins of skating wrote that Rentierknochen were used and translated it as pensioners' bones.
Chat:     
Dictionary  #675808
von Catesse (AU), 2012-10-05, 07:58  like dislike  Spam?  
I think that my all-time favourite dictionary blunder was, in connection with a crying baby: "Der arme Vater versuchte, sein Kind zu stillen."
Even so, my memory contains a long list of translation blunders by people who considered themselves professionals, and whose blunders  not only caused grief, but also cost lives. At that point, however, they cease to be funny.
Antwort: 
Arme Vater, indeed :-)  #675810
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2012-10-05, 08:05  like dislike  Spam?  
But as you say - there comes a point when these things aren't funny.
Antwort: 
von ddr (AT), Last modified: 2012-10-05, 12:31  like dislike  Spam?  
I didn't check contents in the above piece, but I'm deeply ashamed I didn't realize that something was wrong with logs. I mistook it for lodges or log cabins and was surprised to learn that aborigines lived in 'Hütten'.
Chat:     
ddr  #675881
von Catesse (AU), 2012-10-05, 15:40  like dislike  Spam?  
No need to be ashamed. There was so much wrong with the piece, in language and facts, that I hardly knew where to start, and I relied heavily on your first valiant effort.
If interested in Aboriginal dwellings, see: http://www.creativespirits.info/aboriginalculture/land/aboriginal-h...
Antwort: 
von ddr (AT), 2012-10-05, 18:50  like dislike  Spam?  
Very interesting. Thanks for the link.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten