Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   NL   HU   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   IS   ES   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Was bedeutet "To unseal a warrant"? »
« What means the phrase:"the ties go to the runne...    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Old English "mark" (13/4)  
von Catesse (AU), Last modified: 2012-11-25, 00:54  like dislike  Spam?  
Wikipedia(EN): Mark_(money)
I wonder whether this is worth entering. There used to be in England, at least until the 16th century, a monetary unit called a "mark". There was no such coin, so the sum had to be paid in other coins. One mark indicated 13 shillings and 8 pence, and half a mark was 6 shillings and 4 pence. (Added together, they made 20 shillings, that is, one pound.)
The term is likely to be encountered by people reading old (very old) literature or doing genealogical research. I first encountered it in records of the enrolling freemen on the poll registers. (Entitlement to vote.) A man paid the sum of one mark to become a "freeman", but if he was the son of a freeman, he needed to pay only half a mark. These sums were recorded in ledgers as 13/8 and 6/4.
While on the subject of money:
There is an entry for "half crown" (2s 6d), but not for "crown" (five shillings"), nor for "half a crown" (which is what it was called here. Strictly speaking, "a half crown" indicated the coin itself, and "half a crown" meant a price, however it was paid.
See also: Wikipedia(EN): Markland_(Scots)
The mark was also used in calculating rent on land, and it was in use much longer that I thought.
Antwort: 
Ich fände es gut, wenn Du das eingeben würdest.  #683763
von ddr (AT), 2012-11-25, 10:51  like dislike  Spam?  
Solche Dinge sind ja oft schwer zu finden. Und du hast jetzt schon so viel recherchiert.
Chat:     
guinea, florin, tanner, bob, half sovereign, half guinea, farthing   #683768
von Puchenau (GB/AT), Last modified: 2012-11-25, 12:49  like dislike  Spam?  
4;Catesse : very interesting! "half a crown " was also called that in the UK.

I found this site : http://resources.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/questions/mon...

which gives a good summary of UK monetary history, though the mark is not mentioned. I reviewed the current entries in dict.cc against this site and found that all are in except "half guinea". I also found that all entries start with a lower case character - except for Guinea - a small inconsistency. It is interesting to be reminded that, typically, one paid a tradesman (carpenter, plumber, etc) in pounds but a professional person (lawyer, etc) in guineas. A special kind of class distinction!
Antwort: 
Coinage  #683803
von Catesse (AU), Last modified: 2012-11-25, 15:39  like dislike  Spam?  
I am not sure how to tag this, and if I entered it somebody would be sure to find something wrong with my entry. (Besides, Forum is also searchable on Google, so this thread should turn up.
"Half guinea" - again, there was no guinea or half guinea coin in Britain, as far as I know. A guinea was one pound, plus one shilling, something like a 10% tip, although it was billed as such on accounts and was not optional.
By the way: I have a 1797 two-penny piece. That was, I think, the only year of issue. (Before decimal currency. There is a 2p piece now.)

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung