Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   NL   HU   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   IS   ES   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Kann man "Gonna go" sagen »
« Kragen platzen    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
interpreting from German - advice  
anonymous, 2012-11-26, 15:59  like dislike  Spam?  138.38.63...
Hello all, I am a budding interpreter and am hoping to work from German, French and Russian. Although I know German the best out of my three langauges, I find it the hardest one to interpret from - mainly due to the word order. I find it very difficult to wait until the end of the sentence for the verb and often forget what's gone before (especially names/figures). Do any interpreters have any advice on how to interpret German and how to deal with the syntactic challenges of the language?

I recently came across a wonderful book by Lynn Visson on Russian-English interpreting, which was very useful, and was wondering if anyone knew of a similar book for G-E?

Thank you in advance!
Chat:     
von maricom (RU), 2012-11-26, 16:10  like dislike  Spam?  
Hello anonymous,
I am a colleague of yours, interpreting and translating RU - EN - GE. I have similar problems when interpreting German. I am afraid I cannot help you much with this but I would appreciate if you share your experience, in particular - what is the name of the book by Lynn Visson you mentioned? I would love to read it!
Chat:     
I don't do any real interpreting,  #684003
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2012-11-26, 16:16  like dislike  Spam?  
but here  are some ideas -
http://german.stackexchange.com/questions/3841/how-do-synchronous-i...

http://www.erudit.org/revue/meta/2005/v50/n2/011016ar.pdf - quite long and a little 'dry' but it looks interesting.
Chat:     
Mark the subject, mark the verb (best with colour background, underlining. parantheses - whatever)  #684005
anonymous, 2012-11-26, 16:25  like dislike  Spam?  77.181.69....
(Der Fortschrittseifer), wie ihn die Sozialdemokraten seit den1990er Jahren an den Tag legen, (die Idealisierung des Progressiven), desgleichen (ihre die realen Entwicklungen kritiklos nachvollziehende Wandlungsakzeptanz), [führen] zu Überforderung, Unsicherheit, geistiger Entleerung, nicht zuletzt auch zur Vertiefung der gesellschaftlichen Spaltung und schlieslich zu unmündigem, unemanzipiertem Verhalten.

This is from no.683925 today. The (subject) consists of several parts, hence the [verb] is a plural form
Chat:     
anonymous -  #684007
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2012-11-26, 16:30  like dislike  Spam?  
that's ok if you are translating and have the text written/printed in front of you, but if you are interpreting (simultaneously) then that's not possible. (Although interpreters are very occasionally given a copy of a speech beforehand.)
Chat:     
notes in shorthand  #684009
von romy (CZ/GB), Last modified: 2012-11-26, 16:45  like dislike  Spam?  
At uni (very long ago), we actually learned a specific type of shorthand writing for interpreting. You would basically spell out only names and numbers, subject and predicate (who does what) and then use symbols to mark logical connections and frequently used terms. I found this technique very useful, especially for consecutive interpreting. I am sure there are books which you can learn this from. Ask at the linguistics faculty of your local university. By the way, the symbols are uniform in all languages, so you can use them in any of your language combinations.
Chat:     
yes, you are right, Joanne. I overlooked the "budding INTERPRETER"  #684010
anonymous, 2012-11-26, 16:44  like dislike  Spam?  77.181.69....
By the way, the method works very well from EN > DE when translating lengthy und totally unstructured English legal texts (which can be a real horror)
Chat:     
Faced with the-verb-at-the-end difficulty, it's perfectly acceptable for the interpreter to speak in ellipses and add [filler words].  #684017
von MichaelK (US), 2012-11-26, 17:22  like dislike  Spam?  
For example: "Die deutsche Delegation kann jetzt schon sagen, dass sie dem Vorschlag der U.S. Delegation im Prinzip zustimmt." would be interpreted as "The German delegation can state already now that it...[in regards to] the proposal of the U.S. Delegation...in principle...will agree to."
The pauses indicate to the audience that you're waiting for missing information. Keep in mind that only a translator needs to be concerned with elegant English.
Chat:     
Anon's advice is very good for translating -  #684027
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2012-11-26, 18:40  like dislike  Spam?  
I didn't really give him (if he's the ex-regular I think he is) / her (if not) credit.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung