Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   SR   EL   EO   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   FI   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Unterverhältnis »
« Suche wirklich passende Übersetzung    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
... renders ... by ...  
von Codename_Sherry, 2013-02-23, 17:00  like dislike  Spam?  85.176.81....
I have a question... obviously :)

The text I'm currently reading is about Japanese legends and there is one footnote that I don't understand... I think I know what it might mean, but I have to be sure. I hope you can help me.

"The Interlinear Kana renders Hôrai San by Tokoyo no Kuni, or Eternal Land, which is quite inadequate"

Thanks in advance!

Sherry
Antwort: 
A wild guess  #695646
von UncleBob (AT), 2013-02-23, 20:22  like dislike  Spam?  
It is very common in written Japanese language to explain (Chinese) Kanji characters in syllabic scripts (i. e. Hiragana or Katakana - summed up as "Kana"). This is done in case the Kanji character is outdated, rare, or, as with advertisements, to make absolutely sure every reader knows what it actually means. These descriptions might be what is called Interlinear Kana here. I have never heard the word "interlinear", but as it means "between the lines" this could well be what it is about.

So, if my guess is true, your sentence may mean:

The Kanji character "Hôrai San" is explained in Kana as "Tokoyo no Kuni", which in Englisch means "Eternal Land" - and the author of your text tells us, in his opinion this is wrong.

An example of the construction "the Interlinear Kana renders ... by ..." you can find here. See footnote 5) at the bottom of the page.
http://books.google.at/books?id=oy0W42kbZLAC&pg=PA101&lpg=P...

If you read my profile and think, "This guy is into computers - Japanese? How come?" Well, believe it or not, for me it does have to do with computers. But this is a rather long story. I do not speak Japanese, but I have certain knowledge about the Japanese writing system.

As I have said already - a wild guess.
Antwort: 
übersetzt ... mit..  #695650
von LookDontSee (DE), 2013-02-23, 21:50  like dislike  Spam?  
Interlinear Kana übersetzt Hôrai San mit Tokoyo no Kuni

siehe http://www.thefreedictionary.com/render
render - restate (words) from one language into another language
Antwort: 
Not "translate".  #695688
von Catesse (AU), 2013-02-24, 06:18  like dislike  Spam?  
Since both "Hôrai San"  and "Tokoyo no Kuni" are Japanese, I think that "translate" is misleading. The problem with Japanese is that there are multiple ways of vocalising the Kanji characters, although mostly only one meaning for each, when they stand alone. With the Kana (katakana or hiragana) syllabary, there is only one way of saying each one (or two, in compounds), but there are multiple meanings. The syllable "no", for example, has something like forty meanings (when diacritics are taken into consideration), although here it is clearly "of".
It is for this reason that Japanese businessmen hand out cards with their names in both Kanji and Kana (and often in Roman letters as well), because the links between the two systems are complicated and unpredictable.
The word "renders" in the original here is correct, and alternatives would be "interprets" or "transliterates".
Parallels in English are that you cannot tell, out of context, whether a word you hear is "hail" or "hale"; "bough" or "bow", "court" or "caught". Japanese is worse by a multiple of hundreds, and is very open to misinterpretation. The author's intention here is to indicate a linguistic misunderstanding.
Antwort: 
Translates...  #695727
von LookDontSee (DE), 2013-02-24, 14:48  like dislike  Spam?  
may be misleading. The question is: How does "render...by" translate to German. I think Cherry has a vague idea what it means, but never read the word "render" in such a context, and hence the question how to say in German. Catesse and UncleBob gave details about what the process of rendering here means. 'Translates' obscures this too much. So I suggest to translate "... macht aus <source> <target>! or "...löst <source> auf als <target>". Anything better?
Antwort: 
Deuten  #695734
von Catesse (AU), 2013-02-24, 15:37  like dislike  Spam?  
"Transliterate" is in dict.
However, what about "deuten"?
Antwort: 
von LookDontSee (DE), 2013-02-24, 16:03  like dislike  Spam?  
4;Catesse: Thanks for pointing to 'transliterate'. I think in linguistics they would use 'transskribieren' in this scenario. But I understand many Germans won't understand, 'deuten' would be very good as it conveys the vagueness included here.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten