Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   SR   EO   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   CS   DA   PT   FI   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Anordnung meines Namens in engl. Emailsignatur »
« To hand over one's assignment    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Anordnung meines Namens in engl. Emailsignatur  
von schraubenmutter (DE), 2013-05-22, 09:09  like dislike  Spam?  
Ich möchte in einer Mail nach USA den kleinen Hinweis einbringen, daß ich weiblich bin (da ich nicht schon wieder mit "Mr. Heidemarie" angeredet werden will). Daher möchte ich den Zusatz "Ms." in meiner Emailsignatur unterbringen. Meine Firma macht für die Signatur die Vorgabe "Nachname, Vorname".
Welche Wortstellung ist richtig?

Ms. Müller, Heidemarie
Müller, Heidemarie Ms.
Müller, Ms. Heidemarie
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), Last modified: 2013-05-22, 09:28  like dislike  Spam?  
I would either write Ms. Heidemarie Müller or Heidemarie Müller (Ms.). (Actually, I'm from the UK, so I would either use Miss or Mrs with no dot on the end, but in the US they do use Ms. and they put dots on the end of these words).
Antwort: 
I agree with Windfall, but I would use Ms (without a full stop) :-)  #708372
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2013-05-22, 09:36  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
So it's with full stop in my case :)  #708378
von schraubenmutter (DE), 2013-05-22, 10:27  like dislike  Spam?  
Thanks! I will take Windfall's second version.
The "Miss or Mrs" issue reminds me of my former english teacher who was married but insisted on being called "Miss" because of women's emancipation. I could never understand that because in German no woman would ever prefer to be called "Fräulein". Is it common for emancipated women to be considered as not married or what did she mean by that?
Antwort: 
A man can be called Mr Smith, whether he is married or single -   #708380
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2013-05-22, 10:38  like dislike  Spam?  
you can't tell his marital staus just from his name/title.
But if you call a woman Miss or Mrs, then her marital staus is immediately obvious, so the title Ms was developed as a neutral equivalent to Mr.
Are you sure your English teacher wanted to be called Miss and not Ms? They do sound similar.
Chat:     
von schraubenmutter (DE), 2013-05-22, 10:45  like dislike  Spam?  
I thought that Ms is the abbreviation of Miss. Is that not correct?
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2013-05-22, 10:47  like dislike  Spam?  
"Miss" is not equivalent to "Fräulein", even though they initially appear similar - Miss means unmarried female, Mrs means married female, neither means "non-adult female" - although obviously no children are called "Mrs".

I can't name anyone who isn't married who calls themselves "Mrs" (although in the past, that title used to come with some jobs, such as cook, whether the post holder was married or not). Some married women continue with "Miss" and their maiden name. Adding Mrs to your maiden name sounds odd, as you suddenly have the same name as your mother, which is perhaps why this doesn't happen very often. Perhaps she kept her maiden name for feminist reasons and therefore also kept "Miss".

Some women use "Ms" either for feminist reasons or simply to avoid specifying whether they are married or not. I went through a phase of using "Ms" until my mother convinced me that she and others of her generation regarded this title as a signal that you are divorced.

Whether to use Miss, Mrs or Ms is all very political and there's a fair amount of regional/cultural difference.  For instance, I get the impression from TV shows that it's far more common for women to call themselves Ms in the US than it is in the UK.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), Last modified: 2013-05-22, 10:51  like dislike  Spam?  
No, Ms is separate from Miss (or at least, it is in the UK, and is pronounced Miz, whereas Miss is pronounced Miss). http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/ms
When I watch US TV, they often seem to pronounce Miss and Ms the same way (either that, or they use "Miss" where UK English wouldn't).
Chat:     
Miss, Ms and Mrs  #708391
von schraubenmutter (DE), 2013-05-22, 11:01  like dislike  Spam?  
Ok, thanks for your explanations, it seems to be complicated but it's interesting.
So Ms is a complete word but without vowel.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2013-05-22, 11:06  like dislike  Spam?  
Yes, I think so (I certainly don't know a long form for it), but they write it with a dot on the end in the US: http://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/american/Ms
The name titles don't work like normal abbreviations, as although Mr. can be spelled out "Mister", it is rare for Mrs to be written in a non-abbreviated form, and the word lacks a standard unabbreviated spelling.
Wikipedia(EN): Mrs.
Wikipedia(EN): Ms.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten