|   Alle Sprachen   
EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   SK   NL   PT   FI   LA   ES   HU   NO   BG   HR   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   SQ   EL   BS   |   FR   SK   IS   ES   NL   HU   RO   PL   SV   NO   RU   FI   SQ   IT   DA   CS   PT   HR   BG   LA   EO   SR   BS   TR   EL

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|New Website|About|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Liebe Kunden, wir sind umgezogen und freuen uns... »
« Übertreiben means exaggerate ?    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
know your onions - one last question for US speakers  
von Windfall (GB), 2013-07-09, 12:54  like dislike  Spam?  
does this phrase mean anything to you? It means "know your stuff" and we use it in phrases like "it pays to know your onions" and it'd be good to get confirmation of whether it's US English only.
Antwort: 
Know your onions  #715377
von dogberry (GB), 2013-07-09, 13:12  like dislike  Spam?  
Very common in the UK. 'He knows his onions', someone who knows exactly what he is doing.
Antwort: 
Know your onions  #715382
von dogberry (GB), 2013-07-09, 13:21  like dislike  Spam?  
Sorry, Windfall. Didn't realise you were GB based.
Antwort: 
I guessed right ("know your stuff"), but it was a guess.  #715385
von MichaelK (US), 2013-07-09, 13:25  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
Quote    http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-kno1.htm  #715388
von Proteus-, 2013-07-09, 13:30  like dislike  Spam?  62.46.129....
The crucial fact is that the expression isn’t British but American, first recorded in the magazine Harper’s Bazaar in March 1922. It was one of a set of such phrases, all with the sense of knowing one’s stuff, or being highly knowledgeable in a particular field, that circulated in the 1920s. Others were to know one’s oats, to know one’s oil, to know one’s apples, to know one’s eggs, and even to know one’s sweet potatoes (which appeared in a cartoon by T A Dorgan in 1928). You may notice certain similarities between the substances mentioned, most being foods and most having names that start with a vowel.
Antwort: 
Thanks everyone!  #715395
von Windfall (GB), 2013-07-09, 13:42  like dislike  Spam?  
Proteus, that is such a cool fact that although the expression has ended up UK only it originates from the US!
Chat:     
Interesting. The food phrases seem to have faded away.  #715398
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2013-07-09, 13:45  like dislike  Spam?  
Probably because America is no longer an agricultural nation, as it was not too long ago. Thomas Jefferson predicted that such a change would be the beginning of the end for America ("...should we involve ourselves in foreign wars and adventures...").
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2013-07-09, 13:50  like dislike  Spam?  
"knowing your onions" has kind of lost touch with food in the UK. If anything, it makes me think of gardeners rather than farmers. It's now just one of those expressions we use without thinking about its origin. I can say the same for "to be in the right ballpark" and "to have had a good innings" - it was a revelation when someone told me they were sports metaphors. I had only known their figurative/metaphorical use and it hadn't occurred to me they could also have literal, sports-related meanings, as I very rarely converse about sport, so hadn't heard them (for instance I only learnt what a peloton is last week, despite the Tour de France having been on TV in the same room as me many a time)

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2024 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung