Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   NL   HU   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   IS   SV   NO   IT   FI   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 präpariert »
« in sich unschlüssig    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
to put a load of washing on  
von Windfall (GB), 2013-07-22, 14:15  like dislike  Spam?  
This is how we normally talking about doing laundry in the washing machine (specifically one washing machine full of it), e.g. "I put a load of washing on before I left the house. How do I say this in German?
Also, is there a standard German way of saying "I'm doing a darks wash" or "I'm doing a whites wash" (when I say "darks" I mean anything other than white clothing because I only do two different types of wash most of the time, but I think other people differentiate between darks, whites and coloured).
Antwort: 
ich habe die Waschmschine angestellt, bevor ich aus dem Haus ging; Weißwäsche; Buntwäsche  #717323
von RedRufus (DE), Last modified: 2013-07-22, 14:31  like dislike  Spam?  
oder: ich habe einen (ganzen) Haufen Wäsche in die Maschine getan, bevor ich aus dem Haus ging. ("angestellt" ist dabei entbehrlich, weil selbstverständlich)
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2013-07-22, 14:37  like dislike  Spam?  
4;RedRufus,
It's actually quite confusing "a load of washing" isn't a pile of washing/a lot of washing, it's specifically the amount of washing (clothes/bedding) that you can wash in one cycle of a washing machine, e.g. how many loads of washing did you do yesterday = how many times did you put the washing machine on yesterday.
So would I say "Ich habe die Waschmaschine angestellt, bevor ich das Haus verlassen habe."
and "Ich wasche Weißwäsche als nächstes" (I'm doing a whites wash next).
Antwort: 
I see. Dann:  "Ich habe die Waschmaschine angestellt, bevor ich das Haus verlassen habe."  #717327
von RedRufus (DE), Last modified: 2013-07-22, 14:42  like dislike  Spam?  
"Ich wasche / mache (die) Weißwäsche als nächstes" oder  "Als nächstes wasche / mache ich (die) Weißwäsche "
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2013-07-22, 14:44  like dislike  Spam?  
Thank you.
I'm going to enter that in the dict, for all the other people wondering what "load of washing" corresponds to. Do you know if there's anyway to specify "load of washing" in German, or is it simply not talked about in those terms?
Antwort: 
I suggest:  #717330
von RedRufus (DE), 2013-07-22, 14:51  like dislike  Spam?  
to put a load of washing on   -  die Waschmaschine anstellen (never mind the amount of washing)
to put quite a load of washing on  -  die Waschmaschine voll beladen (to capacity or even more)
Antwort: 
von Lucie (DE), 2013-07-22, 14:52  like dislike  Spam?  
Ugs. könnte man z.B. sagen "eine Ladung Wäsche (ansetzen)". Varianten: eine Ladung Weißes/Helles, Buntes, Dunkles.
Antwort: 
von ddr (AT), Last modified: 2013-07-22, 14:52  like dislike  Spam?  
Man kann eine Waschmaschine auch beladen und anstellen (oder anwerfen), oder man kann eine Ladung Wäsche in die Maschine stopfen.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2013-07-22, 14:58  like dislike  Spam?  
We don't say "quite a load of washing".
A load of washing always simply refers to the amount of washing you have fitted in the washing machine in a single cycle. It's meant to be the amount the manufacturer recommends (e.g. 6 kg). If you did 5kg or 7kg you'd still say "I did a load of washing". If you only did about 3kg (and the washing machine was obviously only half full) you might say "I did half a load of washing". We can also say "I did a full load of washing" to differentiate from times when you have done less than the recommended capacity (e.g. 3 or 4 kg instead of 6kg). As people rarely actually way their washing, you'd talk about it based on how full the washing machine drum was (combined with any fears you had about having put too much or not enough in).
For lots of washing you might say "I did a ton of washing" (this probably means several loads (i.e. cycles).
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2013-07-22, 15:03  like dislike  Spam?  
4;ddr & Lucie, this sounds very similar to "I did a load of washing".
It sounds like the answer to "what were you doing when the phone rang" "I was putting a load of washing on".
I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think "to put on a load of washing " is colloquial.
Perhaps:
eine Ladung Wäsche ansetzen [ugs.] - to put on a load of washing
die Waschimaschine anstellen - to put on a load of washing
eine Ladung Weißes / Dunkles / Buntes ansetzen - to put on a whites / darks / coloureds   wash
(eine) Ladung  {f} Wäsche - (a) load of washing
Antwort: 
The colloquial "ne Ladung Wäsche" seems to be common.  #717340
von MichaelK (US), 2013-07-22, 15:16  like dislike  Spam?  
Google: "ne ladung wäsche"
I looked at one Bedienungsanleitung and it used Maschinenladung. ("Ebenso ist es ratsam, in einer Maschinenladung Wäschestücke von verschiedener Grösse zu waschen.").
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2013-07-22, 15:23  like dislike  Spam?  
It looks like we can say "machine load of washing" but it doesn't seem to be any more official/less colloquial than "a load of washing".
Google: "machine load of washing"
Antwort: 
Can only speak for AE...  #717346
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2013-07-22, 15:34  like dislike  Spam?  
...but there's nothing colloquial about "load of washing." You see it in operators' manuals and in texts dealing with environmental issues. We never put on a load of washing, but do a load of washing. "Put on" is usually reserved for the kitchen stove when it comes to appliances.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2013-07-22, 15:37  like dislike  Spam?  
4;Michael, we can either do it or put it on, so I guess we should put both in and label "put on" [Br.]. I don't think "load" is colloquial in BE either.
Antwort: 
Agree—both, and "put on" with BE.  #717369
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2013-07-22, 17:04  like dislike  Spam?  
There's "put in / into" in AE as well, but that refers specifically to the act of stuffing the clothes into the washer.
Antwort: 
DE  #717403
von rabend (DE/FR), Last modified: 2013-07-22, 21:48  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
Anecdote    http://www.businessballs.com/insuranceclaims.htm  #717419
von Proteus-, 2013-07-22, 23:25  like dislike  Spam?  193.83.1...
(From P Clough) - I once made a claim due to a broken washing machine. I put a load of washing on before going away for the weekend. On my return I found it to be stuck in a boiling cycle and my whole kitchen was nigh on destroyed by the steam. When I made a claim through my broker to the insurance company it was denied as I was not insured for steam damage! My broker quickly pointed out that water is H2O and the same chemical compound at steam! They were not having it. The judge, in the small claims court, did not even allow the insurance company's counsel to speak. He took two minutes to read out the case, laughed and said "Water is H2O as is steam - case for the plaintif." The claim was swiftly settled by an embarrassed insurance company.
Antwort: 
I have to ask: do these machines actually boil (100 deg C.) your clothes and if yes, why would you want them to do that?  #717425
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2013-07-23, 00:04  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
Boiling  #717438
von Catesse (AU), 2013-07-23, 05:20  like dislike  Spam?  
4; Michael. Boiling sterilises the washing, kills germs, dust mite eggs, etc. Which washing in cold water does not necessarily do. However, since the only fibres that can really be boiled without risking damage are cotton and linen, and few fabrics nowadays are pure cotton or linen, boiling is seldom even an option.
Who remembers the days of hovering over a copper stoking underneath it with wood? Only wool and silk were not boiled until rayon came along..
Chat:     
Thanks, Catesse. Didn't know clothing gets (or needs to be) sterilized.  #717472
von MichaelK (US), 2013-07-23, 13:00  like dislike  Spam?  
My ignorance stems from the fact that most U.S. washing machines get their hot water from the hot water heater in the garage or basement, which also supplies hot water to the kitchens and bathrooms.  So the wash water is never hot enough to boil your wash.
I do remember the huge kettle in the Waschküche of an apartment house. Can't remember how it was fired, but I can still see the oar-like wooden stirrer in my minds eye.
Chat:     
Hospitals  #717479
von Catesse (AU), 2013-07-23, 13:54  like dislike  Spam?  
I think that hospitals still boil or steam the bed linen. Or perhaps they do not, and that could be one reason why they can be quite dangerous places.
(Yes, I know there are other reasons. A few years ago, I was in hospital for ten days. I dropped a tablet on the floor, about the second or third day I was there, and could not retrieve it. Instead of asking somebody to pick it up, I decided to see how long it would stay there. - From the perfunctory way the vacuuming was done, it might still be there.)
Chat:     
Makes sense for hospitals.  #717480
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2013-07-23, 14:46  like dislike  Spam?  
But really, does personal household laundry need to be boiled? I suppose if you wear the same underclothes two or more days in a row it might not be a bad idea.  :-)
Antwort: 
Boiling white cotton things gets them whiter,  #717527
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2013-07-23, 18:26  like dislike  Spam?  
but as Catesse said above, very few items bought these days can be boil washed. Also, the manufacturers tend to put as low recommended washing temperatures as possible, so that if anything does shrink or fall apart when it's washed at a higher temperature, they are in the clear.

All washing machines I've ever had have had a boil wash cycle, usually 95 degrees, and cold fill with a heating element. Although you can plumb them into the hot water supply rather than the cold if you like.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten