Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   FI   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 to become a natural magnet »
« entfesselte Massen    

English-German Translation of
they have several

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
they have several judgements against them  
von Lisa4dict loggedout, 2013-09-01, 06:57  like dislike  Spam?  99.11.160....
From a recent job.  The text was about two businesses.  Following a merger management was evaluating the relationship.  
The translator misinterpreted the above phrase as the first company having judgements against +the second company"  insead of
in several cases brought by someone else the court passes judgement against the second company  No involvement by the first company.
The translation went downhill from there.
I was thinking a dict entry might be nice, but am entirely clueless as to how to phrase or disambiguate it to prevent this from happening to the next poor soul.  
Any suggestions welcome.
Antwort: 
to have several judgements against one  #723221
von ddr (AT), Last modified: 2013-09-01, 09:39  like dislike  Spam?  
might be a useful entry, indeed, but to whom the judgements refer is a question of (correct) interpreation, isn't it?
Antwort: 
ddr  #723222
von Lisa4dict loggedout, 2013-09-01, 09:13  like dislike  Spam?  99.11.160....
That correct interpretation is elusive.  That's why I thought an example enty with a comment in brackets might help.  But "sb." doesn't work in this case and I'm not happy with "one" as a general subject
sb. has a judgement / judgements against sb. // one has judgements against one
[one party, the party in whose favor the judgement is, is not mentioned]
??? ein Urteil gegen sich bestehen haben ???
Not happy with any of that.
Antwort: 
what about  #723248
von uffie (GH/KI), 2013-09-01, 13:04  like dislike  Spam?  
there are several judgements against sb./sth. ?
Antwort: 
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2013-09-02, 01:06  like dislike  Spam?  
Perhaps something like Gerichte entschieden [in mehreren Fällen] gegen jmd. would work because it's unequivocal.  It doesn't matter if plaintiff or defendant—whoever or whatever the jmd. stands for got the short end of the stick.
Antwort: 
ufriend  #723352
von Lisa4dict loggedout, 2013-09-02, 09:36  like dislike  Spam?  99.11.160....
"there are several judgements against sb. "  shouldn't get a translator into hot water.  What causes confusion is that it's just one party the pronouns in such a phrase refers to, rather than two.
Party A (they) have a judgement against them (also party A)
not
Party A (they) have a judgement against them (party B)

For the German I like Michael's suggestion.  I'm still not sure what the best format for an English entry would be.
Antwort: 
von uffie (GH/KI), 2013-09-02, 13:20  like dislike  Spam?  
4; Lisa. Yes, that's how I understood it (involving just one party). I can't think of any other way to avoid confusion other than my suggestion above.

Michael's suggestion is good but I doubt it'll be accepted as an equivalent to "having judgements against"; it's not literal enough for most voters.

What about this one: there are several judgements against sb./sth. - es liegen mehrere Gerichtsentscheidungen gegen jdn./etw. vor ?

Might get people on the right track at least.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten