Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   SR   EO   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   CS   DA   PT   FI   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 exotic dancer »
« Lyrics - strings    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
exotic dancer  
von Catesse (AU), Last modified: 2013-09-05, 07:04  like dislike  Spam?  
I dispute both entries ({m} and {f}) for "exotic dancer". The beautiful Balinese dancers, or geisha girls, or Hawaiian hula girls or Maori poi dancers could be classified as "exotic", but they would never divest themselves of an item of  clothing in public.
Whatever your opinion of this, the following entry is definitely wrong.
http://www.dict.cc/deutsch-englisch/Stiptease+T%C3%A4nzerin.html
(For goodness' sake: verifiers are supposed to check spelling.)
Antwort: 
von Lisa4dict loggedout, 2013-09-05, 08:01  like dislike  Spam?  99.11.160....
Wikipedia(EN): Exotic_dancer
It's not wrong in our neck of the woods.  The problem with tagging it is that usage isn't a simple matter of here or there.  Another issue might be just how little clothing the respective professional is left with at the end of their performance.  That is sometimes decided by zoning councils and licensing officials.  AFAIK in German it goes all the way to his/her birthday suit.  By comparison exotic dancers are substantially more dressed in a bra and a thong or tanga.
Antwort: 
It's "strip", not "stip".  #723971
von Catesse (AU), 2013-09-05, 08:42  like dislike  Spam?  
Apart from the suitability of the translation, the spelling is wrong. I would re-open it for the sake of the spelling, but I could not vote for this translation, so somebody else will have to do it.
Antwort: 
Thanks, Catesse.  #723975
von ddr (AT), 2013-09-05, 09:00  like dislike  Spam?  
I have reopened it.
As Lisa said, exotic dancer seems to be used for stripteaser dancer, it has several dictionary entries anyway, and not just AE ones.
Antwort: 
Disambiguation  #724009
von Catesse (AU), 2013-09-05, 11:52  like dislike  Spam?  
Noticed. I was not so much concerned with whether "exotic dancer" could be used for a strip-tease act; rather that it would be misleading to call a demure, classic performer of traditional dances from exotic locations, and such a dancer could feel justifiably outraged to be referred to as a "strip-tease" dancer. The current disambiguation has gone a long way to fixing this.
[Of course, "exotic" tends to mean, anywhere that is different from the place where you live. :-)]

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten