Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   NL   SK   HU   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   NL   PL   SQ   IS   RU   ES   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Faszinierend »
« Direkte Treffer: prudentiell    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Faszinierend  
von WingDing (US), 2013-10-16, 22:40  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
Tempora mutantur. Episcopal rulers interpreted their oaths of chastity, obedience and poverty - at best - as a personal obligation.   #730106
von Proteus-, 2013-10-16, 23:11  like dislike  Spam?  194.118.237....
Architecture was an integral part of princely representation.

http://www.residenz-wuerzburg.de/deutsch/residenz/bauges.htm
Google: "Fürstbischof" "Bauherr" ""   The bishop of Limburg may have been born in the wrong epoch ...

The criterion of good architecture is still held high by some in the whole kerfuffle:
Zweitens, die Limburger werden ihm eines Tages dankbar sein, denn nach allem, was man sieht, ist diese bischöfliche Residenz ein ungewöhnliches Beispiel gelungener Architektur.
http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/jakob-augstein-ueber-bisc...
Chat:     
von WingDing (US), 2013-10-16, 23:21  like dislike  Spam?  
He may have been born in the wrong epoch, but I don't think things have changed that much.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Frans_Hals_-_Regents_of_the_...
Chat:     
Might the bishop's residence make a suitable old men's almshouse?  #730111
von Dwight (US), 2013-10-16, 23:58  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
von WingDing (US), Last modified: 2013-10-17, 01:29  like dislike  Spam?  
I like your spunk, Dwight, but it's obvious they should install little tour carts into his $3.9 million apartment as well as the accompanying buildings ($42 million total I think) and turn it all into Catholic Eurodisney. They could then charge people 20 bucks a pop and rake in a fortune from concessions as well as benefit the local economy. The money could go to use updating their hymnals and paying off their molestation settlement debt.
Chat:     
Rich men  #730116
von Catesse (AU), 2013-10-17, 06:42  like dislike  Spam?  
It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Or words to that effect, depending on which Bible translation you use.
Chat:     
von romy (CZ/GB), 2013-10-17, 08:52  like dislike  Spam?  
...which only shows that the books which were collected from various sources to form the "Bible" were written by people who had no money and hated the rich (at least the book which contains the above super-silly phrase).
Chat:     
Interpretation  #730152
von Catesse (AU), 2013-10-17, 15:40  like dislike  Spam?  
Maybe not as silly as it sounds. I have heard that the "Eye of a Needle" was one of the narrow gates in the fortifications of Jerusalem. Not sure if this is true, but it would make sense.
Chat:     
Catesse  #730196
von WingDing (US), Last modified: 2013-10-18, 03:35  like dislike  Spam?  
That's the antiquated part of the Bible that nobody takes seriously any more. C'mon, Jesus throwing the money changers out of the Temple? What a laugh.  It's those parts of the Bible people need Ayn Rand to reinterpret for them and make palatable again.
Chat:     
Apostles  #730198
von Catesse (AU), 2013-10-18, 05:11  like dislike  Spam?  
This makes interesting reading, and it is an illustration of the trouble caused when translators get things wrong.
http://www.gotquestions.org/camel-eye-needle.html
But when you say "the antiquated part of the Bible": this phrase occurs in three of the four (alleged) writings of the Apostles (Matthew, Mark and Luke, but not John), and these are the core of Christianity. then what part of the Bible is not antiquated? (Maybe it all is.)
Chat:     
von WingDing (US), Last modified: 2013-10-18, 06:44  like dislike  Spam?  
I'd say the Bible is antiquated in the sense that Christianity, as I view it in the US, has been perverted to really reflect modern folk norms (e.g., people will be bar-coded on their wrists when the Antichrist returns). In other words, the present-day, conventional American interpretations of the Bible do not really reflect the actual content in the book- regardless of the content frequently being non-sensical (Book of Isaiah anybody?). I think the notion that there are antiquated parts of the Bible centers on most people not taking seriously much of the text in books like Leviticus.
Chat:     
Religious "right"  #730210
von Catesse (AU), 2013-10-18, 08:39  like dislike  Spam?  
From the little that I see and hear (fortunately very little) of the extreme religious right (mainly in the old Confederate States?), I would say that they are barking mad. ()The Tea Party reminds me of the Mad Hatter and Alice.) And you do not need a certificate of sanity to vote in elections. Hence the sort of government you / we sometimes get.
I think that there is one seat in our House of Representatives that is still not resolved after goodness-remembers-how-many weeks. There were some 90,000 electors, and a difference of about seven votes, which changes each time they are counted. Clive Palmer spent about $15million dollars standing for a seat, and put one of his employees up for just about every seat in the country, as well as for the Senate in every State. He got three senators elected, and his attitude is that, no matter who is called prime minister, he will run the country, because he will hold the balance of power in the Senate from July next year. This is going to be interesting, once the newspapers get stuck into his declarations of pecuniary interests. He thinks he can get away without declaring his interests. He has a lot to learn about the power and malice of the media.
This thread started off on the relationship between money and power, and here we are back there.
Chat:     
I do not know about poverty being super-silly (08:52) - before we set out to slam something we ought to find out the facts  #730243
von Proteus-, 2013-10-18, 12:09  like dislike  Spam?  194.118.237....
What is meant by Christian poverty is being poor in spirit  
https://www.google.co.uk/#q=%22poor+in+spirit%22+%22%22+%22%22+

What is not meant is
(a) poverty of spirit
http://vimeo.com/19099027
(b) the spirit of poverty
https://www.google.co.uk/#q=%22spirit+of+poverty%22+%22%22+%22%22+

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung