Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   NL   HU   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   IS   ES   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...


Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Bitte helft mir bei der Übersetzung »
« Could you proofread this Q/A? Any additional id...    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Autobahnknoten - highway junctions [Am.]  
von Windfall (GB), 2013-12-04, 16:15  like dislike  Spam? Autobahnknoten+
Wiktionary says that a) this is an Austrian term and b) highway junctions is the correct US term for it, but Duden only says besonders oesterreichisch (and my text is Swiss)
so I'm going to change it to [bes. oestterr.]
But before I do, can any US speakers confirm that "highway junction(s)" is right for this? I thought it would be "interstate intersections" , or is that less common or has a different meaning?
von ddr (AT), Last modified: 2013-12-04, 17:19  like dislike  Spam?  
According to Wikipedia, Switzerland has only one (1) Autobahnkreuz. Is your text maybe referring to an Austrian Autobahnknoten?

This shows different usage in German speaking countries:
von Windfall (GB), 2013-12-04, 17:26  like dislike  Spam?  
The Autobahnknoten in question is near Port of Switzerland. I don't know whether that might nevertheless be in Austria.
Not really:))  #736456
von ddr (AT), 2013-12-04, 18:01  like dislike  Spam?  
Anyway, I don't want to claim Autobahnknoten exclusively for Austria, it just surprised me that - apart from an Autobahnknoten in Poland - I couldn't find any proof that it is used elsewhere.
von Windfall (GB), 2013-12-04, 18:07  like dislike  Spam?  
This shows it is used on Swiss websites: Google
I assume "Autobahnknoten" in Austria aren't fundamentally different from Autobahnkreuze in Germany or motorway junctions in the UK (we have tons of junctions, I'm shocked to discover that Switzerland only has 1) Wikipedia(EN): M1_motorway
It's a small country ...  not a lot "to knot" ....  ;-))  #736459
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), 2013-12-04, 18:46  like dislike  Spam?  
In my experience, it's not just a 'normal' junction, which is usually an Ausfahrt/Einfahrt,  #736469
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2013-12-04, 20:20  like dislike  Spam?  
but a larger junction where motorways merge or there are a number of different possibilities close together.

The Knoten Graz-Ost has just been expanded and the new parts were opened earlier this week. This gives you an idea of a Knoten, rather than a normal junction which just has slip roads on and off each side.
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), 2013-12-04, 22:19  like dislike  Spam?  
Exactly - that's what I mean ....
motorway interchange \ highway interchange  #736488
von Proteus-, 2013-12-05, 02:07  like dislike  Spam?  62.47.200...
von Windfall (GB), Last modified: 2013-12-05, 09:31  like dislike  Spam?  
Should we change the UK entry to "motorway interchange" then? I'm still a bit wary of the US one without some US speakers commenting. Also, should we add motorway junction as Ein-/Ausfahrt (as that's what most of them are - should that have "Autobahn-" on the front of it?) with disambiguation to say [entry/exit]? Alternatively, should "motorway junction" in fact be left as a translation of Autobahnknoten with the disambiguation [interchange with other motorways], as I think we'd still also call that a junction (I'm wary about just putting "motorway interchange" as the disambiguation, as I'm not sure how many people are aware of the meaning of that term.)
von ddr (AT), 2013-12-05, 10:02  like dislike  Spam?  
As far as I gathered there are a lot of different terms around in German. An Autobahnkreuz is always a "crossing" of two Autobahnen at least. (I think that would be an "interchange").  An "Autobahnknoten" or, (as the official Swiss term seems to be) "Autobahnverzweigung" can also mean  what the Germans call an "Autobahndreieck" (One Autobahn joins or merges into another one).
Simple "Auffahrten" or "Abfahrten" are not called "Knoten" or "Verzweigungen" or "Kreuze" or "Dreiecke" as far as I know.
You always pick out the most tricky ones, Windfall,  don't you?
re: Switzerland  #736522
von ddr (AT), 2013-12-05, 10:06  like dislike  Spam?  
Switzerland obviously has just one motorway junction or interchange of state Autobahnen, but there are kantonale Autobahnen as well, which are linked to the state ones, so there is more than one junction, really.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten